Learning to add Terrain to the game

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
rubberduck

Re: Learning to add Terrain to the game

Post by rubberduck »

I added icehills now to the game, most transitions work now, but i have a small problem and some questions.

in the terrain_graphics.cfg from mainline i can find
TRANSITION_COMPLETE_L and TRANSITION_COMPLETE_L F
what is the difference here and when do you use L and when LF

some terrain-strings are in () and some not, why is this so??

The problem has to do with the water transition.

For me it looks like the ice-to-water-transition uses two images:
for example

first the ice-n.png

and then the ice-to-water-n.png over ice-n.png to add a special "ice-to-water"-effect

is that so and when yes, how can i do this with my own icehills-graphics?

i would like to use my own ice-n.png (renamed in icehills-n) and then the ice-to-water-n.png from mainline
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

8680 wrote:Alarantalara’s Custom Terrain Tutorial may be helpful, though it’s a bit old.
I've actually been trying to keep it up to date with syntax changes. As I recall, it covers everything up to 1.11.1, though I haven't checked for anything new since then.
rubberduck wrote:I added icehills now to the game, most transitions work now, but i have a small problem and some questions.

in the terrain_graphics.cfg from mainline i can find
TRANSITION_COMPLETE_L and TRANSITION_COMPLETE_L F
what is the difference here and when do you use L and when LF
You use L when you want to use the default flag (which interacts with mainline terrain) and LF when you want to not interact with mainline transitions as much or have some other reason not to use the default. Because a flag prevents any other terrain image that uses the same flag fom being drawn, the LF is used in mainline when the terrain has multiple images to make the entire appearance. Thus you see it with water to land transitions, as well as swamp ( to avoid interfering wit overlay terrains).
some terrain-strings are in () and some not, why is this so??
Readability. In some macros it actually matters, but terrain tends not to use problematic characters, so it doesn't really matter.
The problem has to do with the water transition.

For me it looks like the ice-to-water-transition uses two images:
for example

first the ice-n.png

and then the ice-to-water-n.png over ice-n.png to add a special "ice-to-water"-effect

is that so and when yes, how can i do this with my own icehills-graphics?

i would like to use my own ice-n.png (renamed in icehills-n) and then the ice-to-water-n.png from mainline
Use both. As long as you use two different flags, one for each macro, you should be fine. You will probably find it works better if you match the two flags used by mainline.
Also, if you're doing custom hills, I really hope your terrain string looks something like Hay. You may find you'll get free correct transitions without having to do anything if it wasn't.
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

it works now how i want it, the transition is now like the transition from ice to water

to make this work i had to change the code a bit

my code now looks like this (here i copied the original code from mainline)

{TRANSITION_COMPLETE_LF Aa,Ha,Ms,Ai (W*,S*) -485 non_submerged frozen/ice}
{TRANSITION_COMPLETE_LF Aa,Ha,Ms,Ai (W*,S*) -505 submerged frozen/ice-to-water}

before non_submerged and submerged were missing and i used L and not LF, but the frozen/ice-to-water graphics were missing
then i read about non_submerged and submerged and i tried it but i got an error when starting the editor.
Then i changed the L to LF (like in mainline) and it worked.

Now i want to add some more terrains
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

i have a problem now with adding the ice-chasm terrain.

the icechasm has an extra chasm-wall
i called the terrain code "Qxa"

so it is affected by this code (you get "regular-snow"-transitions to ice or snow-hexes)

Code: Select all

{WALL_TRANSITION_LF   Qx*              (Ai*,Aa*,Ha*,Ms*,)                  -90  ground  chasm/regular-snow}

i want to disable this transition for my chasm-version, i want to use the standard transition used by icechasm
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

rubberduck wrote:i have a problem now with adding the ice-chasm terrain.

the icechasm has an extra chasm-wall
i called the terrain code "Qxa"

so it is affected by this code (you get "regular-snow"-transitions to ice or snow-hexes)

Code: Select all

{WALL_TRANSITION_LF   Qx*              (Ai*,Aa*,Ha*,Ms*,)                  -90  ground  chasm/regular-snow}

i want to disable this transition for my chasm-version, i want to use the standard transition used by icechasm
There isn't enough information here. At the absolute minimum, what is the "standard transition"?
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

on the top of the image you can see my chasm-terrain.

on the bottom there are two kinds of chasm: normal and lava-chasm

every chasm has a kind of transition to non-frozen terrain (here a transtition with grass)

then a added different kinds of frozen terrain to the chasm

the normal stone-chasm has a snowy transition to frozen terrain, while lava-chasm has not this kind of transition.

my chasm terrain uses a bluish ice-like transition to normal terrain.

when my chasm is next to frozen terrain, it uses the same transition like the normal chasm.

i want that my chasm uses the same bluish ice-like terrain next to frozen terrain.
Attachments
icechasm-problem.jpg
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

i solved the problem now