Force Loyal Question

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Zenogias

Force Loyal Question

Post by Zenogias »

This has probably been addressed before, but I'm fairly new to this community and there is A LOT of information to sift through; also I've been trying to muck around with this for quite a while, so maybe someone can help me.

I am trying to force all of the units of a particular side (actually sides 3-9; all of the AI players) which are recruited normally during the game to be (or to have) the LOYAL trait.

I'm using the "prerecruit" event, and filtering the 'unit' for side=3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and then I've tried several iterations of using first just [effect] and then [set_variable] with a nested [effect] and finally trying to use [modifications] within [set_variable] accessing the "unit" filtered from the main [event] code. My latest attempt looks like this:

[event]
name=prerecruit
[filter]
side=3,4,5,6,7,8,9
[/filter]
[set_variable]
name=unit
[modifications]
[trait]
id=force_loyal
[effect]
apply_to=loyal
[/effect]
[/trait]
[/modifications]
[/set_variable]
first_time_only=no
[/event]

and my first version looks like this:

[event]
name=prerecruit
[filter]
side=3,4,5,6,7,8,9
[/filter]
[effect]
[filter]
side=3,4,5,6,7,8,9
[/filter]
apply_to=loyal
[/effect]
first_time_only=no
[/event]

Although I haven't been able to get either to work. Please advise -- thanks.
Dixie

Re: Force Loyal Question

Post by Dixie »

You've got it real wrong.

First of all, you used your filters the wrong way. You must define what you want to pass, not want you do not want to pass.

Second, you can't use [modification] inside [set_variable]. This is silly. You must first store your unit inside and event. Luckily, lots of useful variables are automatically stored when initiating an event handler, and this includes the concerned units. Then, you manipulate its variables and you unstore it. AFAIK, [modifications] is used only in [unit]. Another way of doing this would be to give the unit an object containing the desired effects, but this must be done AFTER unstoring the unit. I tend to find that the variable way is more efficient, though.

So hopefully you'll read all of the above, but in short your code could look like this:

Code: Select all

[event]
  name=recruit
  first_time_only=no

[filter]
    side=1
  [/filter]

[unstore_unit]
    variable=unit
  [/unstore_unit]

[object]
    silent=yes
    [filter]
      find_in=unit
    [/filter]
    [effect]
      apply_to=loyal
    [/effect]
  [/object]
[/event]
Put it in you [scenario].
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Zenogias

Post by Zenogias »

Well clearly YOU just read my code and not my question because I UNDERSTAND how filters work and it IS sides 3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9 I want to be loyal all my computer enemies.

A) So it looks like you are saying that I cannot modify the variable "unit" that is stored inside the event cannot be modified without unstoring it - is that true?

B) you recommended using a silent object to make all these units (every unit on 7 sides) loyal - will this many objects have any negative effects on the game's operation, specifically in multiplayer?

C) is there any way to do this by modifying the units directly (before or after unstoring them) without giving them objects?

D) will unstoring the unit as/after it's recruited affect it's normal creation on the map?

Thanks very much for your help.
Zenogias

Post by Zenogias »

Yeah according to the points of the wiki you referred me to (which I have read previously) it seems like I can change some of the variables in the "unit" array inside of the "recruit" event and then unstore_unit to effect the actual unit that has just been created - is this possible?

Really, it would be fine with me if EVERY unit that is on all 7 sides is made to be loyal every time any of them recruited a unit (which is what I _thought_ my first version was going to do)
Zenogias

Post by Zenogias »

Also will a silent object cause the unit's status window to display "loyal"?
Zenogias

Post by Zenogias »

Ok - silent object does Not display loyal; but it IS loyal which is really all I need since it is enemy ai controlled units. I did manage to get my code working the way I want, thanks to your advice, so thank you.

If you have any insight into my earlier questions, my ultimate goal is still to actually become as knowledgable about and proficient with the code as possible, so I would appreciate any further advice from anyone about modifying "unit" found in [event] directly..
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

a) Correct

b) No

c) You can store/unstore units to modify them, however any affects given to them this way are lost when they level up (among a few other times, don't remember what they are though)

d) No

also, I just tested this code out and it should work fine:

[event]
   name=recruit
   first_time_only=no

[if]
   [variable]
   name=unit.side
   greater_than_equal_to=3
   [/variable]
   [then]

[object]
   silent=yes
   [effect]
   apply_to=loyal
   [/effect]
   [/object]

[/then]
   [/if]

[/event]
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

:| Looks like everyone's getting it wrong.

[event]
    name=prerecruit
    first_time_only=no

[filter]
        side=3,4,5,6,7,8,9
    [/filter]

[unit]
        side=$unit.side
        type=$unit.type
        generate_name=yes
        moves=0
        attacks_left=0
        facing=$unit.facing

{IS_LOYAL} # the loyal overlay icon

x,y=$x1,$y1
        placement=map_overwrite
        animate=yes

random_traits=yes    
        [modifications]
            {TRAIT_LOYAL}
        [/modifications]            
    [/unit]
[/event]
I didn't test so I might have forgotten something.

Objects can't add traits. If you want to add a trait, you need to use [set_variables] or just create a new unit. [set_variables] would work if you wanted to add the loyal trait to the unit, not force one of the traits to be loyal or force it to be the only trait. I'm assuming the latter, because having three traits is ugly. If you don't want the other trait to be random, just change random_traits= to no.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

In case there's a confusion, the 'silent' key within the [object] tag is not related to the fact that 'loyal' is not displayed to the player.

If you want to display additional traits' name and description to the user, you have to write them into the appropriate variables. These variables are
my_unit.modifications.trait[$latest_trait_index].id
my_unit.modifications.trait[$latest_trait_index].name
my_unit.modifications.trait[$latest_trait_index].description
and a convenient way to do it is, as zookeeper said, to use the [set_variables] tag.

[set_variables]
		name=unit.modifications.trait
		mode=append
		[value]
			id="my_trait_id"
			name="my_trait_name"
			description="my_trait_description"
		[/value]
	[/set_variables]
That does not apply the effect of the loyal trait, you need the [object] in addition.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Zenogias

Post by Zenogias »

Yes zookeeper; thank you, that is EXACTLY what I was trying to do. I did not realize that I could physically replace on the map "unit" by using the [unit] command though. Nice -- you are indeed a Wizard as your title indicates; thanks again.
Last edited by Zenogias on August 13th, 2010, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

(Off topic)
Zenogias wrote:Yes WML Wizard; thank you, that is EXACTLY what I was trying to do. [...] Nice -- you are indeed a Wizard as your name indicates; thanks again.
(The name is zookeeperWML Wizard is a title given for his good work.)