Therian faction --- EoM

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shrimpster

Mix it up....

Post by Shrimpster »

If you want to add some spice, I suggest keeping the units as they are, but completely reworking the unit tree, make that the unique aspect of the faction.

I just found it odd that the player doesn't really contribute to the "shifting", it just seems that right now, ultimately you're fighting with assorted zoo animals and mages. Why not let the player 'shift' the units when they level up? Because these guys are "shifters", it would be perfectly logical for that low level apprentice to become a panther when he levels up, after that, why not a hawk? A snake? How about back to human form? He's a shape shifter so you've got an excuse to do some really unique unit trees.

Make this faction really unique by only being able to recruit the apprentice at the start of the game (should make him level 0)... However, every level has about 3-4 different paths to choose in leveling up, resulting in a very wide tree and some pretty cool potential strategies. (Note, trees can also converge near the top, e.i. different paths to same creature). You could adapt your army on the battlefield by shape shifting into forms that are needed when they level up. Your army of cobras could become an army of hawks when they need to retreat, your lawful army of shamans could level up to become night units, really, there's a lot of potential to make this a very unique faction.

In general if you take this approach, units would have to be weakened significantly to make it fair, but they should require less XP to level up. Which would make since if you take the mythology of shape shifters into account, (You can kill them, but you have to be crafty or quick, or they'll just reform into something else).

Again, this is just an idea, I know a lot of work has been put into the faction already, and I understand if this too radical a change for this stage of development. I just got inspired and thought like writing it down.

-Chris
JW

Post by JW »

Interesting...I kinda like the idea of merging trees, but at the same time I'm not sure how it could be done effectively.

I don't think it would make sense for a L1 falcon to go to a L2 jaguar, but it also doesn't make senses to level the unit into another L1 unit either.

Maybe if it were possible to alter stats upon levelling then unit's changing animal types could keep somewhat similar stats from before.

Example:
L1 Falcon -> L2 Jaguar has +1mp, -10% compared to a regular L2 Jaguar
L1 Leopard -> L2 Falcon has -1mp, +1dmg compared to a regular L2 Falcon

I'd have to figure out about the Snake.

Thoughts?
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I think this would be a very good faction to include some of the things from http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... icated era with a level 1 unit being able to change into another level 1 unit, keeping most of the xp it had before, as opposed to leveling into a level 2 (if you wanted it) and so on, with optional AMLA's of varying ability additions... I still strongly push for an optional level 2 off of each shifter line that has no level 3 but does have plague(falcon/snake/housecat) as I think this would also add flavor. Having level 0 units would also allow much more complications in the unit tree, and having the low xp requirements of the level 0's would mean more leveling happened.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
JW

Re: Therian faction --- EoM

Post by JW »

What a trip down memory lane....my first project ever with Wesnoth....

Yes this is a necro for no reason other than nostalgia.