Elemental Faction?

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Post by JW »

::sigh::

It would have been nice for you to have updated short to melee and long to ranged as Jester did in your upload in the other thread, RangerM. That was such a pain in the ass I can't describe.

Regardless, I like the general concept you set up for the reworking of the faction and I'd like to see the Elementals in the EOM - their art is great and I like the concept.

I'd appreciate it if you could write some new movetypes for these guys to include all of the damaeg types and to simplify the unit.cfgs that are highly modified. (in resistancies and movement_costs, etc)

Just edit the movetypes they are based off of and rename them appropriately for the units then upload or post them. I'll change the unit.cfgs myself as I've made a bunch of mods already that you won't have.

I'd really appreciate it man. I'm spread pretty thin trying to work with all these factions at once.
JW

Post by JW »

Ranger M wrote:fire wisp -- fire ghost -- something better (or something before the firs ghost)
-- brazier creation -- living furnace -- ?lava beast? (the art is there)

water tidal -- undine
-- ice crab -- hard shell

mystic puppet -- manequin
-- unicorn
-- vine beast -- vine tiger

magic servant

windherder -- zephyr

razor bird -- thunder bird
I'm going to switch it so the Fire Ghost line splits from the Brazier Creation line. There's already a few level 1 fliers, and the lava beast can be added as a level 3 instead of level 4 unit.

Also, right now these guys kinda own Undead. Just first impressions.
JW

Post by JW »

I think I'm going to add the Wind Herder as a continuation from the Magic Servant. They both fly and use ranged impact, and it will free up a slot for either the Unicorn or Vine Beast (or the animated rock which isn't currently accessible) to be a recruit.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

JW wrote:It would have been nice for you to have updated short to melee and long to ranged as Jester did in your upload in the other thread, RangerM. That was such a pain in the ass I can't describe.
Damn, I knew that I'd forgotten something :oops: .

with the fire ghost coming from the brazier line, the art for the wisp may need some boosting to make them look better than the brazier, but apart from that I like the change.
JW

Post by JW »

Ranger M wrote:Damn, I knew that I'd forgotten something :oops:
no worries. I was able to go through and do some more stuff as I went through them. plus, I was just being pissy.
with the fire ghost coming from the brazier line, the art for the wisp may need some boosting to make them look better than the brazier, but apart from that I like the change.
Can you do that? If not I don't think it will be a big deal. If you're going to make art I'd rather you work on either the Aberrations or Celestials instead though to get them moving along anyway.

Of course, any effort you make to contributing will be appreciated greatly. :)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

JW wrote:Can you do that? If not I don't think it will be a big deal. If you're going to make art I'd rather you work on either the Aberrations or Celestials instead though to get them moving along anyway.

Of course, any effort you make to contributing will be appreciated greatly. :)
I'll look at it, and probably produce something soon, but I can't commit myself to anything major, I have enough on my plate as it is, sorry. (think one Large image, one wesnoth faction, two non wesnoth related factions, wesnoth unit animations, elf archer portrait, spacenoth stuff, IoA portraits and campiagn writing) I can do one or two units here and there, but entire factions (or even the base frames for them) really are a no no.

When that has been cut down significantly, then I'll help, but by then you'll probably be onto doing animations (yay, more :shock: )
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:::sigh::

It would have been nice for you to have updated short to melee and long to ranged as Jester did in your upload in the other thread, RangerM. That was such a pain in the ass I can't describe.
Why? Just run Xan's wml_update program on the files. It will fix that in about 2 seconds.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:
JW wrote:::sigh::

Why? Just run Xan's wml_update program on the files. It will fix that in about 2 seconds.
Dang?

Where could I have found that?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you have the source version, it is found in src/tools/wml_update.cpp. You have to compile it yourself.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The original idea of the era is to have 2 units for each element + 2 units with no elements. (Life/light and death counted as elements too)
One units is the hard units (contatined in some kind of vessel or inhabiting a body) the other one is the formless one (just raw element).

I have planned a couple more of avancements for each unit but it really takes time... usually a couple of 3rd level for each one.
Some description
A flying unicorn like and one with illuminates.
A really massive & slow golem another one more balanced (still slow and hard to kill).
Another puppet ... with metal weapons instead of arms at level 2.
The lava creature (Neorice creation) vs anoter nimbler with ranged attack.
A backstabbing vine cat vs a slowing one (with melee)
A servant advancement to be found at special level.

In my still waitng to be finished campaig the player could take elemental picks (selecting a scenerio path and betting them) and get 1 extra creature (max 5 elemental picks) and some extra powers.

Some advancements will be only unlocked after picking a combination of elementals (not able to pick opposed ones) or doing special levels.
JW

Post by JW »

Cool. That actually helps me conceptualize the units better.

You don't mind that we're including your units in the Era of Myths, do you? They're pretty neat, though the recruit structure has had to be fiddled with since there are so many units.
JW

Post by JW »

Okay, here's how I want to restructure these guys:

0 Puppet
1 Rock - 1 Avatar
2 Golem

0 Servant
1 Razorbird - 1 Windherder
2 Thunderbird - 2 Zephyr

1 Tidal
2 Ice Crab - 2 Undine
3 Ice Hardshell

1 Brazier
2 Furnace - 2 Wisp
3 Lava Beast - 3 Fire Ghost

And I'm undecided about the Unicorn and Vine Beast so they'll probably both be recruitable level 1s.

Now all I need to do is reorganize them and make them somewhat more appropriately balanced. Expect that soon.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

You probably mean Mannequin, not Avatar, Avatar was one of the new ones that I added.
JW

Post by JW »

Ranger M wrote:You probably mean Mannequin, not Avatar, Avatar was one of the new ones that I added.
Oh, well I renamed the Mannequin Avatar in Alpha 4 in which the only major change is the Elementals. They're restructured and the stats have been slightly changed - with what balancing effects we will find out.
JW

Post by JW »

Okay, to totally hijack the thread, the Elementals are available in the Era of Myths with some relatively major remodifications. Some original recruits have been merged into single lines, etc.

fmunoz, if you come up with new sprites for the ideas you were originally contemplating, they will find their way into the EOM for sure. I can make up stats for them (unless you'd like to provide those as well).

Now, in order to make the hijacking complete, go download the EOM and place your feedback on how the faction plays here! All comments are welcome and will be considered for future versions of the EOM.

...go! Download and play it now! 8)