Dfool of many colors

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dirtyepic

Post by dirtyepic »

Darth Fool wrote:3) The HP bar has been removed from units when the HP= MAX_HP
any chance you would consider reverting this? i keep on mistaking an enemy with full health and a low amount of XP as being near death. course, i usually catch on when i go to attack, but it gets annoying. :P
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Dfool of many colors

Post by Eleazar »

Darth Fool wrote: If this route is taken, it should also be possible to provide a pallete graphic that has these colors in them so that artists can simply sample from the pallete without having to carefully select colors that match the rgb value.
yes, should be true.
Darth Fool wrote:currently there is no limit on the number of colors that can be declared in flag_rgb, but there was some interest from other developers to limit the number to something reasonable. It seems to me that 256 is a reasonable maximum # of colors to have, as that enables the artist to span the complete colorspace that might be replaced by the team color, allthough it probably should never ever get that large. Perhaps 64 would be just as good. Do artists have an opinion about how many shades of a color they need?
In the units i "team colorized" i sampled between 6-10 RGB values, which i *think* will be sufficient on average. (but i'm guessing at this point) --If you mean sampled colors, not counting very similar colors that will also recieve the transformation. I find it hard to imagine someone sampleing 64 color values from a unit to make this work.

What i can imagine are units that recieve 2,3, or 5 different color transformations (If this is extened beyond just team colors) Imagine the peasant unit whose, hair, skin, shirt, and pants color are randomly chosen from a prebuilt list (in the unit cfg) of appropriate hues. That would be an extreme example, of course.

What kind of CPU cost does this have? Will gamespeed take a hit if every unit is colorshifted 2 or 3 ways?

Turin, if i've gone too far in how i've enabled units to colorshift, it's extremely easy to undo. I'm not thinking of any of these changes as being authoritative, but as a way to test and evauate this feature.
Idea results will only be achieved by making a comprehensive plan, and then slightly editing most unit graphics.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

dirtyepic wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:3) The HP bar has been removed from units when the HP= MAX_HP
any chance you would consider reverting this? i keep on mistaking an enemy with full health and a low amount of XP as being near death. course, i usually catch on when i go to attack, but it gets annoying. :P
Played a while with this, and I must say I find it incredibly annoying as well. This should be reverted.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I think it should be nice to state that the team colour is not "mandatory"

some units will be imprved by it, but not all. So don't fell compeled to add the team colour to all units, only to the ones that it improves :)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

frame wrote:
dirtyepic wrote: any chance you would consider reverting this? i keep on mistaking an enemy with full health and a low amount of XP as being near death. course, i usually catch on when i go to attack, but it gets annoying. :P
Played a while with this, and I must say I find it incredibly annoying as well. This should be reverted.
I agree. Or put it as an options (yeah, I know, OAB, but I really don't want to play that way)
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Where is the data that defines how each unit is colorified stored? I'd like to play around with it.

OT: OAB applies to GAMEPLAY options, not interface options.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

It's a flag_rgb= entry in a [unit] tag (usually in a unit_name.cfg)
Note: this is in SVN trunk only
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Noyga wrote:It's a flag_rgb= entry in a [unit] tag (usually in a unit_name.cfg)
Note: this is in SVN trunk only
I use SVN trunk exclusively anyhow. Thanks!
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Darth Fool wrote:As for the colour=100 Hmm... I didn't know about this and it seems to me to likely have been an oversight in the original scheme, but perhaps not. Would you consider it acceptable if a colour=-1 has that effect?
Yes.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

frame wrote:
dirtyepic wrote: any chance you would consider reverting this? i keep on mistaking an enemy with full health and a low amount of XP as being near death. course, i usually catch on when i go to attack, but it gets annoying. :P
It certainly can be reverted. If the problem is confusing the XP bar with the HP bar, then another solution is just to include the HP bar whenever there is an xp bar. If that does not work, we will revert it, it is only ~5 lines of code.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ok, the latest WML trick that I have added is a new variable, team_rgb in a [side] tag. for example,

Code: Select all

[side]
side=2
team_rgb=255,128,64
[/side]
makes team 2 have a really ugly orange/peach color as their team color. see attached screen shot...
Attachments
team_rgb.png
team_rgb.png (40.25 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Cool... :)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Awesome, now all that is required is a variable that can set multiple colours and my army of agonisingly ugly units can begin!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

How could you mock my army of pink Loyalists?

:cry:
scott

Post by scott »

This guy was overdone. Since his smock is already blue, it could probably stay that way.
Attachments
side2.jpg
side2.jpg (14.22 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.