Lordbob's commissionned work: UtBS

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Lordbob's commissionned work: UtBS

Post by LordBob »

So we have a first portrait done : here is Kaleh. It was long in the making, but I think he is a good representative of what Jetrel and I had in mind when we started brainstorming on the Quenoth.

Next I'll finalize the shaman sketches.
Attachments
UtBS_Kaleh-1.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

looks quite good. Question thought, what he has on the back (hip) looks to be the sheat of its weapon, but it looks like the weapon wouldn't enter the sheat without breaking it. :hmm:

That or is a secondary weapon of his?

Love the colors!
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Awesome portrait! What's up with his eyes, though? Seems like he has no pupils, is being possessed or something :?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The eyes were the first thing I noticed, too. Besides that, it looks pretty nice.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

The bright pupils were something Kitty decided on. (She's the artist who did most of the elves.) It sets them apart from humans, and indicates the fact that they have some inner magic. So, the pupils are fine. Kaleh also has very light-colored irises though, which looks kind of odd considering how dark his hair and skin are. I think they would look better brown or green.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I have no problem with the eyes in the mainline elves; I never really noticed how light they are, but in any case, they do have two distinct areas to them. With this Kaleh portrait, like Dixie said, it looks like he's simply missing pupils altogether.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Sorry, english is not my first language. Lighter pupils, okay, why not, but even the irises are not showing in the picture. Or barely. It looks like his eyes are completely white. Looking closely, you can indeed see/guess something like light pupils and irises, but I think it's not apparent enough. My 2 cents, anyway :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Did you abondon the linework concept for the Kaleh portrait? You did for the wose before too. I did notice that artists somehow consider it a skill improvement to get rid of the linework. Well as you are the art director you must have some benefits from that position. If this would be a democracy, I still would vote for linework.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hey everyone, I'm back again. Sorry for staying away fatherhood and freelancing are hard to reconcile :doh:

Anyway, I've picked up the desert elves : here's a work-in-progress for the lv.1 shaman (don't pay attention to the filename). It will later serve as base for the portrait of Zul, which explains why this little shaman is a She.

On the matter of pupils, I wanted to increase the eerie glow of these elves' eyes. However if the general consensus is that I overdid the effect, then I will tone it down.
As for what Kitty did with the wood elves, technically they seem to have brown irises because that's the color she used for linework. However on those portraits where the eyes are large enough for close scrutiny such as the hero, the intention is not as clear since everything inside the border of the iris is pale grey.
Attachments
desert-elves_sun-shaman.jpg
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Cutie one ^_^
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Her face looks young, but also wise and experienced. Probably a difficult trick, but very cool. I also really like these costumes.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Shaman seems good, I don't really have further suggestions for it.

As for irises, I'd suggest toning the glowiness down quite a bit, lightly outlining them, darkening the whites of the eye, or something. Maybe even making the eyes slightly bigger. If the latest Kaleh is at the final resolution (only requiring cropping and backgroundlessness), then the eyes are so small that you don't really see anything but glowy white, and that's rather creepy (the "possessed by an alien spirit" kind). The linework in Kitty's elves remove the creepy effect, because it makes it clear that they have irises, even if they're gray. So I don't think it's a problem that the irises are light, it's that you can't really tell that there are any (unless you look very very closely at the eye shaded by the hair).
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

You have a point. I'll add clearly visible irises as well as tone down the sheen. After all we want them to be magically attuned beings, not downright creepy. Eloh, on the other hand, might be just the person for this effect.

Also, on the subject of lineart (re: Wussel), I did not abandon it. I'd be glad to, but consistency with our existing portrait library seems more important. However, compared to how I used to work in the past, these days I add it only as a final touch. I've noticed over the years that I tend to revise (sometimes large) portions of a portrait throughout the painting process, sometimes going as far as to alter the initial pose. So rather than having to continuously edit both paint AND line, I just save the inking for last.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

LordBob wrote:It will later serve as base for the portrait of Zul, which explains why this little shaman is a She.
Huh? But aren't all shamans female anyway?

Anyway, shaman looks nice! Blondish hair with brown skin is interesting.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

LordBob wrote: Also, on the subject of lineart (re: Wussel), I did not abandon it. I'd be glad to, but consistency with our existing portrait library seems more important. However, compared to how I used to work in the past, these days I add it only as a final touch. I've noticed over the years that I tend to revise (sometimes large) portions of a portrait throughout the painting process, sometimes going as far as to alter the initial pose. So rather than having to continuously edit both paint AND line, I just save the inking for last.
Thanks for the reinsurance. Is there a link explaining your work process (by you or somebody)? I am really curious. I noticed that I am using paintly/smearing/brushing style tools just for the fun of it lately.

As of feedback: I am fine with everything like eyes and such. Just cannot wait to see it in-game.