Variety in architecture.

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TimothyP
Music Contributor

Variety in architecture.

Post by TimothyP »

Greetings, all you sweet and awesome designers! I just dropped in from the music dept to give you an idea. If this has already been covered extensively somewhere (I didn't see it in recent threads), just move this or delete it.

I think it would be sweet to have a big library of architecture. What I mean is, create a bunch of different models for each building type. Then, when the map is created, it sets up each little chapel as a random pick from a pool of chapels. Same for other buildings. This would add tasty variety to the game, and I'm sure all of you would have great ideas for building design. I've seen what you can do before, and I know there's more where that came from.

So, if you have time, you might want to consider something like this. I know when playing the game, I always wished there were more variety in architecture.

I saw of the revised castle designs - that was sweet.

Good work, artists. You guys have great talent. We're glad to have you as a valuable asset to this team.

--Timothy
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

We already have something like this - you'll notice that there are about 5 different elven villages, and it picks one pseudo-randomly for each elven village hex. The same thing goes for the human villages and the cave villages, although IIRC there are only 3 of each of those. (You might not have seen any of these if you are still using 1.0.2).

I wonder if such an idea would be good for castles... probably it would be better to keep to what we have now, that is, having the mapmaker choose the castle they want from the normal, encampment, dwarven, and ruined ones.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote: I wonder if such an idea would be good for castles... probably it would be better to keep to what we have now, that is, having the mapmaker choose the castle they want from the normal, encampment, dwarven, and ruined ones.
Hile it might not be too bad of an idea for regular castles to throw in an occaisional variation on the tower, it is essential and already part of the ruined castle mechanism, so if someone had variations on the castle that were worth putting in, it could be done quite easily.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

It won't be me drawing more tower variations to the castle. There are 12 tiles in castle, 12*5 ruin variations of it and 13*5 sunken castle tiles. It has taken me almost half a year to draw the castle/keep design this far and the ruin keep is not even finished yet.

So, if there were also an another tower design in the castle, one MUST ruin and sink it too. There are certainly more important graphical upgrades to do.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

pekka wrote:It won't be me drawing more tower variations to the castle. There are 12 tiles in castle, 12*5 ruin variations of it and 13*5 sunken castle tiles. It has taken me almost half a year to draw the castle/keep design this far and the ruin keep is not even finished yet..
That certainly is a bunch of work. i have no objection if you do a few less variations of each ruin/sunken tile. IMHO 5 variations is a disproportionate amount of attention for 1 relatively minor terrain.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I do plan on making some more buildings, but, you should know, timP, that those are not 3d rendered. They might look a lot like the buildings in AoE, which were 3d rendered, but mine are just painted by hand.

:? Either way it would take a while, probably just as long if not longer to generate new building designs if I was modeling them, rather than painting them.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

Well, I haven't played the newest versions of Wesnoth, so I can't say whether or not I like the variety. I was thinking, it would just be great to see all different styled random buildings. It sounds like you're already going in this direction.

But imagine if for each little cottage, chapel, etc, there were like 10 variations. Not that this would be easy to create, but you get my point.

Anyway - no pressure. Just a suggestion for coolness.

--Timothy