Second draft at addressing luck in MP

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Second draft at addressing luck in MP

Post by JW »

In this section I would add the following:

1.4.6: How does Wesnoth's system of luck affect multiplayer?

Wesnoth is a game that generally relies on the skill of players' strategic recruitment and positioning of their units as well as tactical adaptability to different outcomes. Since Wesnoth's battle system relies on chance to determine its outcomes, a string of highly favorable or unfavorable outcomes can occur at any given time, no matter how unlikely.

Generally the effects of randomness in multiplayer games is to add an element of uncertainty that prevents Wesnoth from becoming deterministic like chess. In some cases however(approximately 5% by one estimate), it can be a determinative factor in the outcome of the game.

A minority of players find this too be too much luck for their tastes and would rather have skill alone determine the outcome of games, though most players find this to be an acceptable amount of luck and fun. They feel it adds an element of replayability as well as a lack of certainty between who will win any particular game when it is begun.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I am worried that the F.A.Q. probably doesn't get read too much (which would still lead to luck threads), and even then I imagine it could be cleaned up and made more straightforward in places.

Constructive feedback appreciated.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Re: Second draft at addressing luck in MP

Post by Yogibear »

You can change that into "approximately 5% by two estimates" :wink: .

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 60#p300160
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
JW

Post by JW »

Yogi Bear wrote:You can change that into "approximately 5% by two estimates" :wink: .

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 60#p300160
I could change it to "by multiple estimates" I suppose. :p
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I find this an excellent second draft. All of the complaints I had with the first one are fixed. It's not overtly negative but a clear indication to players of what's in store.
JW

Post by JW »

Jozrael wrote:I find this an excellent second draft. All of the complaints I had with the first one are fixed. It's not overtly negative but a clear indication to players of what's in store.
Cool. I'm still worried that the FAQ isn't read that much, but at least it would be a step forward. I wonder if the number of hits the page gets can be recorded?