Abilities I have made (Possess, Pickpocket, etc) showcase

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

meowreka

Abilities I have made (Possess, Pickpocket, etc) showcase

Post by meowreka »

Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jgcpbyxrbmstf9q
Requires 7-zip

I made this a year ago, but I want to post it somewhere.

Abilities:

Code: Select all

description= _ "conqueror : 
Earns 5 gold per village capture"

description= _ "fatigues : 
unit loses 2 HP every time they move."

description= _ "pickpocket :
Gain money for attacking your foe. Each strike scores you 1 gold."

description= _ "possess : 
Turns an enemy non-leader unit below level two to your side by possessing them if the attack succeeds. Regardless of whether or not the attack succeeds, however, the unit using the attack "possess" will disappear after the attack."

description= _ "ripped pocket : 
Unit loses 1 gold at the end of every movement. This is regardless of how many spaces the unit moves, and happens every time they move, even in the same turn."

description= _ "survivor :
If this unit successfully survives an attack, they recover 3 HP."
You CAN play it. There are four units in one faction between which all of these abilities are spread.

I'd like some feedback on these things. Pickpocket appears to be broken, so I apologize for that. The rest seem to work fine.
Maramros

Re: Abilities I have made (Possess, Pickpocket, etc) showcas

Post by Maramros »

Charm works whether the attack hits or not. Survivor is annoying, especially when no attacks hit - you just gave your enemy 3 free hp. Ripped Pocket, especially on a leader, makes for no fun... same with fatigue.
Please remember, my opinion is my opinion. Please listen, but my opinion is only, and will never be more than, my opinion. It is not yours. You do not have to act on it. I'm not telling you what to do.
boru

Post by boru »

Dixie did a rewrite on pickpocket:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... et#p443490

I'm using pickpocket and charm in my campaign. Thanks. :)
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I have a nice version of charm too, if you are interested. Just download the most recent version of Internet Meme Era and go take a peek in macros/IME_Specials.cfg, I think the special is there even though the unit that uses it has not been released (yet) for balance reasons.

Basically, when a charm (my charm) attack hits, the target jumps to your side with a single move point and an attack, and will return to its original side on that side's next turn. IIRC, it's mostly the same as the one given in the WML Abilities page in the wiki, but I think I had uptimized the code in some way, though I'm not sure exactly how exactly anymore. I haven't extensively tested it out yet, mind you.

Anyway, go take a look at that wiki page, there are quite a few pretty good ability ideas in there, although they are not necessarily all coded in the optimal manner (imho).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
meowreka

Post by meowreka »

Yeah, a lot of them are pretty broken I guess. I didn't do enough testing.

But the ones that work can be useful in their own ways.
boru

Post by boru »

I think most of us use these as starting points, and customize them to do what we please. For that purpose, they are very useful.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
meowreka

Post by meowreka »

Fatigue and Ripped Pocket seem kind of useless, but they DO have their uses. For example, they can be used to balance out a unit with high attack power or high movement.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

This is my modified version of pickpocket used for the outlaws and pirates in conquest+ classic

this version is based on the attacking unit being shown in the code with a secondary filter and 'die' event for the primary unit (unit being attacked) so in this version the loot is only allocated on the death of unit being attacked (conquest uses beserk - i.e. last man standing, so this works well for conquest).

Note - I do this by adding a dummy ability to the unit which needs the loot/pickpocket ability which shows up in the right panel/ unit description, I also add a weapon special as shown below, the weapon special is activated for units possessing the ability.

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_PICKPOCKET
# to be included in a [specials] clause using [weapon_pickpocket][/weapon_pickpocket]
[event]
id=pickpocket
name=die
first_time_only=no
# Filters for pickpocket special
[filter_second_attack] 
special=weapon_pickpocket
[/filter_second_attack] 

[gold]
side=$side_number
amount=2
[/gold]
[gold]
side=$second_unit.side
amount=-2
[/gold]
# Plays a sound
[sound]
name=gold.ogg
[/sound]
# Puts floating text over the unit (you could also use floating_text macro)
[unstore_unit]
variable=unit
red=50
green=50
blue=220
text=_ "+2"
[/unstore_unit]
[/event]
#enddef
In this older version the pickpocket is activated on a successful hit by the unit with the pickpocket ability, this isn't so satisfactory in my opinion because it allocates gold for every attack e.g. 10-6 (6 loot events!) and even works if the unit attacking dies, I prefer to allocate loot in the event of the looted unit being killed.

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_PICKPOCKET
# to be included in a [specials] clause using [weapon_pickpocket][/weapon_pickpocket]
[event]
id=pickpocket
name=attack end
first_time_only=no
# Filters for pickpocket special
[filter_attack]
special=weapon_pickpocket
[/filter_attack]
# Transfers gold
[gold]
side=$side_number
amount=2
[/gold]
[gold]
side=$second_unit.side
amount=-2
[/gold]
# Plays a sound
[sound]
name=gold.ogg
[/sound]
# Puts floating text over the unit (you could also use floating_text macro)
[unstore_unit]
variable=unit
red=50
green=50
blue=220
text=_ "+2"
[/unstore_unit]
[/event]

#enddef
Just a small note to say I am using the loot ability in Chaoz Battle of the Wizards scenario, in this case I made a macro in in my weapon_specials.cfg looking like

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_LOOT
[weapon_pickpocket]
[/weapon_pickpocket]
#enddef
so this is what gets added to to the weapon specials tag, then I just declare the main event in the scenario separately, it has been pointed out to me by a few people that I shouldn't really be including an event within a weapon special. I have a few more special abilities which you can see in the conquest+ classic and conquest+ space scenarios and more recently in Chaoz battle of the wizards which includes a simple ability to switch a unit's side (like a "posess" spell), this is also added to a missile style unit which can be cast by wizards, so the effect occurs as part of a ranged spell.
Last edited by Gwledig on August 20th, 2014, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

For abilities and weapon specials you should look in to Modified World Conquest or War Of The Gods. In MWC you have unit named Goblin King which is able to change adjected enemy goblins side for his own (% chance to do it depence of enemy goblin lvl).
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.