Solemn Autumn - Battle Theme

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yobbo
Art Contributor

Re: Solemn Autumn - Battle Theme

Post by yobbo »

Rain wrote: Interesting theory. So I am trying to hide how ineffective the music is by muddying it up with reverb? I'd appreciate a second opinion as this is the first time I've heard anything of the sort. :| Maybe I am reading you incorrectly.
What I mean to imply is that the base music is good, but the reverb itself is what makes it clash. It feels like notes from 5 beats ago are still hanging around and clashing with notes now.
Rain wrote:
It sounds like you have a beef with Harmony and feel you have something to prove .
...ha. Well then, perhaps I can receive some much-needed harmony lessons from you...?

:D

In the meantime, please tell me how a comment like this is helpful? :annoyed: I think you know the difference between positive and negative criticism and this kind of comment doesn't really make you very clever, in my eyes.
:lol2: my apologies. Honestly I've only started posting here because I think this forum doesn't have enough negative criticism in it.

I know I sound like a dick, coming in and criticising out of nowhere, without my own work to back me up. Truth is, I don't have much interest in the technical side of creating music on the computer. I just enjoy playing a couple instruments and listening to good music.

In general I quite like your pieces. But I think you have the potential to make them much better :).
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Hehe, you're alright man. :D You don't sound like a dick... You ARE a dick. Big difference! (Just kidding)

ah, anyways... Thanks for clarifying your point. <For a second there, I was taking myself a bit too seriously.>

Most of my pieces are in a perpetual state of improvement, largely because I am always working and trying new things and thus improving (hopefully).
It takes some real backbone to really jump into someone else's work and analyze what is going on. This is immensely helpful to hear what you guys are thinking so I can gain a greater sense of perspective. I have to trust myself first and fore-most but a little of the right criticism can go a LONG way. ;) For being 'that' guy, I applaud you and anyone else who is willing to do the same.

I do think you have some good points in regards to this piece. I am not ready to really sit with the piece and make any major changes but when the time comes, I'll do what I can to clarify the music so that it isn't hiding behind a facade of noise... even if that wasn't really the intention.
I know I sound like a dick, coming in and criticising out of nowhere, without my own work to back me up. Truth is, I don't have much interest in the technical side of creating music on the computer. I just enjoy playing a couple instruments and listening to good music.
Not really. There is a balance to strike between being critical and being helpful, but I didn't find any of your comments too jarring. Criticism is good for improvement and now that I understand where you are coming from with your comments, I can make more out of what you are saying.
In general I quite like your pieces. But I think you have the potential to make them much better .
Thank you very much. I will certainly double my efforts!
Smashworth

Post by Smashworth »

The reverb is much too heavy, but there's also a point in your repeating pattern where you've just got too many clashing notes. It's not because of the reverb. This kind of "clash" might work in some kinds of jazz or modern music, but it doesn't fit well with the rest of your arrangement here.

The problem I hear is a lack of musical ideas or variations. I made it about 2/3 of the way before I felt like I had heard this repeating, key-changing 10-second theme enough times. That might work for background music, but we don't want to make one of those games where you turn off the music after it drives you crazy by repeating.

Here's an example of stretching out a pair of themes by altering the arrangement. This is a string quartet with flute. You don't always need an orchestra.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Smashworth wrote:This kind of "clash" might work in some kinds of jazz or modern music, but it doesn't fit well with the rest of your arrangement here.
Hmmm. I see. Can you provide examples? When are you hearing these in the piece?
Smashworth wrote:The problem I hear is a lack of musical ideas or variations. I made it about 2/3 of the way before I felt like I had heard this repeating, key-changing 10-second theme enough times. That might work for background music, but we don't want to make one of those games where you turn off the music after it drives you crazy by repeating.
That's a pretty good crit. I think this is just preference speaking though. Music after all, is largely blocks of melodic material that change keys, rinse repeat, etc. It sounds like you just dislike how the song develops from top to bottom. If I am mistaken, please clarify! :)

Are you saying that you don't like the way the music develops or that it doesn't develop well enough section to section as an entire unit or...?
Smashworth wrote:Here's an example of stretching out a pair of themes by altering the arrangement. This is a string quartet with flute. You don't always need an orchestra.
Thanks for this. I'll be sure to look into it later tonight.
Smashworth

Post by Smashworth »

Rain wrote:
Smashworth wrote:This kind of "clash" might work in some kinds of jazz or modern music, but it doesn't fit well with the rest of your arrangement here.
Hmmm. I see. Can you provide examples? When are you hearing these in the piece?
Rain wrote:That's a pretty good crit. I think this is just preference speaking though. Music after all, is largely blocks of melodic material that change keys, rinse repeat, etc. It sounds like you just dislike how the song develops from top to bottom. If I am mistaken, please clarify! :)

Are you saying that you don't like the way the music develops or that it doesn't develop well enough section to section as an entire unit or...?
It doesn't really develop, I guess that's my feeling. I get the same thing over and over, with precious little variation. I get lots of "repeat" but no "rinse". Absolutely no tempo changes, no substantiative changes in orchestration or volume, and no substatiative changes in harmony (i.e. major vs. minor, dissonance vs. consonance, etc.). No alternative melody or breaks between repeats of the existing melody.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Smashworth wrote:It doesn't really develop, I guess that's my feeling. I get the same thing over and over, with precious little variation. I get lots of "repeat" but no "rinse". Absolutely no tempo changes, no substantiative changes in orchestration or volume, and no substatiative changes in harmony (i.e. major vs. minor, dissonance vs. consonance, etc.). No alternative melody or breaks between repeats of the existing melody.
The piece is definitely very linear. It doesn't break character where it might help to, if I catch your drift properly. I think at this point, the piece really can't change very much without throwing it all out and starting over.

Thanks for the feedback!