Bring Wesnoth to handhelds ! (palm and Windows)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
321guyver

Bring Wesnoth to handhelds ! (palm and Windows)

Post by 321guyver »

Hye everyone.
I am fond ok Wesnoth, and would be so happy to find it on my handheld ! Since it is opensource, would it be very hard to adapt it for Palm OS ? The saved games could go from the computer to the handheld, to finish a camapin in the train. Maybe it would need a few changes in display : from a close window to a map window, ...
It's just an idea, and I am not able of doing it. If someone thinks he can, I will be very thankfull.
mameluke

Re: Bring Wesnoth to handhelds ! (palm and Windows)

Post by mameluke »

I read somewhere that you can compile Wesnoth with a GUI that suits better on small displays. (Can't find it atm)
So the rule is: If you can compile it on your system you can play it I think...
Yea, I know that not everybody knows how to compile. But I think there is no other solution atm.

Is there no project where some wesnoth-guys share some self made packages?
This would be the only solution which would work, imho.
Because the maintainers can't include the huge amount of OS/Hardware out there.
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I dont have a handheld or small PC, but can Wesnoth host these binaries or will they be hosted by third party?
In my experience, these 3rd party sites tend to die every now and then and then get forgotten anyway
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

If there was someone making binaries for another system, after "officialization" they would be probably uploaded along with the rest of downloads on sourceforge.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

How would you play wesnoth on a palm os? The screen can fit only a handful of hexes at most, and you probably have to click that tiny "okay" button on your phone a thousand times in order to finish a match.

Plus, palm os aren't designed to handle portable games, though they could handle a few low-end ones, you would be much better off with nintendo DS or the psp.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
uzytkownik

Post by uzytkownik »

I'd like to see a GUI for small screens - however for Freerunner. Anyway if gui was prepared for small screens the compilation would not be a problem.
kthxbye

Post by kthxbye »

Hi @ all, I'm new to the forum but not to the game (love Wesnoth, even if I'm not a great player at strategy games). I've found this topic with the search function.
I would love to play Wesnoth on my Nintendo DS. I think that with the dual screen feature, a port would not be too difficult speaking of the GUI: the bottom screen could be used for the actual combat, while the top screen could have the generic minimap and the information windows for units and the like (obscuring the map while open). Actually, I know nothing of the difficulties that a port like this could have.. Could it be done?

Please excuse my English (I'm not used to talk in English), and thanks for this great game (and eventually for the answers, too!). :)
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

kthxbye wrote:Hi @ all, I'm new to the forum but not to the game (love Wesnoth, even if I'm not a great player at strategy games). I've found this topic with the search function.
I would love to play Wesnoth on my Nintendo DS. I think that with the dual screen feature, a port would not be too difficult speaking of the GUI: the bottom screen could be used for the actual combat, while the top screen could have the generic minimap and the information windows for units and the like (obscuring the map while open). Actually, I know nothing of the difficulties that a port like this could have.. Could it be done?

Please excuse my English (I'm not used to talk in English), and thanks for this great game (and eventually for the answers, too!). :)
Hehe, nice caricature. I can even recognize a bit of myself in the enthusiast and polite naivete :)
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
Beakwudge

Post by Beakwudge »

I for one think it could be done, as long as the developers made an effort. If you have seen the library for ds, you will know that there are tons of crappy games among the good ones. If they can do it so can Wesnoth. With the new dsi coming out, it would have room onboard for add-ons, and new updates. It could be awesome!

Besides, it would give the developers some cash, so they will stop complaining about that. :wink:
Stop the spam! It's taking over the world!
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

The Freerunner version worked well with its 480x640. Maybe the sprites were too small (not the gui), but for veteran players was easy to play (but quite slow to load). It's a pity we didn't see new versions, and it seems no one else knows how to do it.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

it does work on psp if you put a windows OS on it :lol2:

or a ps3 if you put on windows or linux.
ancestral
Developer

Post by ancestral »

"Bring Wesnoth to My Favorite Device" has been asked frequently.

Devs are aware there is demand, but it mostly comes down to having not only time available, but dependencies available on that platform (like SDL). Nothing will happen until underlying technologies are there first.

Probably the best and fastest way to see Wesnoth on My Favorite Device is for you to actually try starting to port it over yourself. Really!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

As i was reading this, my mind doesn't seem to recognize the fact that i had posted in this thread prior to reading this even though i had no recent memory of doing so. This lead me to suspect that someone had stole my account and posting on this forum right under my own nose.

Sure enough, after seeing the dates on this threads, i've realized that i had posted that reply almost a year ago and that it was only brought up by a recent, albeit common discussion furthering down the lines of this topic. Long answer short, if you can make a wesnoth package that runs on handhelds, then you are free to play it or even distribute it as long as it doesn't have legal issues. I'd start with the open pandora because it is the closest you can get to a handheld linux system that also doubles as a DS, the only problem will be getting your hands on one.
Have no fear, Vlad is here!