Texture Recolor

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Texture Recolor

Post by Noyga »

While looking at a website i had an idea.
Would if be possible to apply a texture to a unit, just like TC, but with a texture instead of just a color.
This would allow for example to make things like this (see his flag): Image
I have no clue wether it would be easy to implement or not.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Texture Recolor

Post by zookeeper »

Noyga wrote:While looking at a website i had an idea.
Would if be possible to apply a texture to a unit, just like TC, but with a texture instead of just a color.
I don't really see how such a system could be made to work in Wesnoth in an even remotely easy to use way.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

As i imagine it could work :
1) Get the (rectangular (or square ?)) dimension of the zone that would be retextured
2) Resize the texture to that size
3) Apply the textrure to the image (with more or less transparency, according to the 'TC' color)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

What exactly do you expect such recoloring to be useful for?

If this is just an easy way to make nice flags for 2-3 special units, then maybe it is too much work for little effect. (But if there is a volunteer to do it, no problem.)

If this is a way to generally replace existing team colors with "team textures"... well, many units do not have large areas available for coloring, often only a few small pixels. There the textures may be difficult to recognize.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ok, it could be done in the following way: first make it possible to recolor from one color palette to another palette (instead of to a color range as is done now). Then, create a palette that has all of the shades that you are going to use, one for each pixel. Something like a grid where one axis is the shade and the other is the pixel number. So, if you had an 8x8 grid that you wanted to texturize with 4 different shades (for the different animations) you would need a palette of 256 colors. You might be able to automate it so that the 4 different shades are done automatically, but you would want to have a script that auto-generated the palette so that the artist could sample it when making animations. So, the question is, how many places would something like this really be useful as compared to, say, just making new images? Ok, I could see that it might allow fun things like having custom flags for online play, but what size texture are we talking about? Basically, as I see it, Tcoloring is already a good deal of work for the artists.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Texture Recolor

Post by Eleazar »

zookeeper wrote:
Noyga wrote:While looking at a website i had an idea.
I don't really see how such a system could be made to work in Wesnoth in an even remotely easy to use way.
More importantly, it would not be useful for the vast majority of units. Few of them have flags. "Texturing" the scattered, unconnected bits of TColor on a unit would almost always produce something nonsensical.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I would typically see it used like RC() rather than TC().
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Wesnoth World Champion!.

It had to be said, and also, by hte implications of that comment... no, just... no.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ok, with a little thought, I have realized that in principle, using RC, you could do this already in a very painful way. So hey, 'it can already be done'. What is really needed to make it easier, is some WML support for defining palettes using an image instead of having to define each and every color in hex.