Adding a few buttons to the GUI

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

About the "next unit" button:
In my browser, I like to change tabs with the scrollwheel. Maybe do the same with the icon of unit in the sidebar? It will be like the sidebar is a vertical(or horizontal if you prefer) list of units.

And about space and other button:
Why the icons of the statusbar are inactive? Maybe something like:
flag -> scenario objectives
units -> units list
time -> statistics
others -> status table

Also, the position indicator zone is useless when the cursor is not on map. Maybe put here buttons for maps related stuff:
Enemy moves, best enemy moves, grid ... Maybe it seems a bit hidden, but it will appear to beginners when they go pointing to the menu or the minimap.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

I like the toolbar idea.. I think the less buttons the better, useless buttons tend to confuse you.
taro
Inactive Developer

Re: Adding a few buttons to the GUI

Post by taro »

borsook wrote:I'm one of those people who like to be able to do everything by mouse. It so happens that functions that I use very often (Next unit and acceleration) are a bit hidden in wesnoth (i.e. require and additional click). Normally I wouldn't mind, but the GUI has so much of unused space... so I'd very appriecate should those functions be brought forth.
The main thing for me is the map. And I want to see as much as possible of it, so for me there's no space to waste for things I don't use regularly. But that's already said. Different user have different preferences, themes are the solution for that. You can write your own theme. It looks like the buttons you miss are available for a theme: "__endunitturn__" and "__accelerated__".
borsook

Re: Adding a few buttons to the GUI

Post by borsook »

taro wrote:
borsook wrote:I'm one of those people who like to be able to do everything by mouse. It so happens that functions that I use very often (Next unit and acceleration) are a bit hidden in wesnoth (i.e. require and additional click). Normally I wouldn't mind, but the GUI has so much of unused space... so I'd very appriecate should those functions be brought forth.
The main thing for me is the map. And I want to see as much as possible of it, so for me there's no space to waste for things I don't use regularly. But that's already said. Different user have different preferences, themes are the solution for that. You can write your own theme. It looks like the buttons you miss are available for a theme: "__endunitturn__" and "__accelerated__".
thanks for the tip :)