Movement markings

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Deathblower wrote:Just wondering - now that this idea has been submitted, how will I find out if it has been accepted?

Will I receive an e-mail?
IIRC if you left your email address with the feature request you will get notification whenever the status of that item changes.
Be patient. There's a backlog of ~150 open Feature requests --most of which are good ideas. There's no telling when a coder will have time to implement this. You don't need to keep this thread alive.

As always: IIRWIIR. (It Is Ready When It Is Ready.)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Deathblower

Post by Deathblower »

OK, thanks eleazar.

Can someone lock this thread for me then?

DB
Just a short dude with a lot of time . . .
Mangetsu

Post by Mangetsu »

This still needs quite a bit of work and testing, but here you go; a wonderfully cluttered, try-all-proposed-methods-at-once, in-game sceenshot:

I will clean up the code a bit, then I could post a patch somewhere for testing. As I'm not overly good at C++ and, until a couple of days ago, not at all familiar with Wesnoth code, I would be thankful for help from developers. It's not a lot of code, just a bit hackish :)

As for the look, I've added a (very ugly) signpost thingy (apart from on-hex movement and turn info and half-opacity unit ;)). This is done by using a special version of the footstep images (hackish, ATM). If someone want to try to do something nicer/test a look in-game, they can make new versions of all the footstep images with a "_waypoint" added before the ".png" (eg. "foot-left-n_waypoint.png"). Beware though, that the image will be flipped when going southward :)

bioman wrote: I know you’ve just submitted this, and rightly so, but what about having a different coloured foot print for every turn. That would be much less cluttered than using alpha images and would help pinpoint the exact hex you'd end up in at the end of that turn.
This was my original idea as well, though I had planned on using red only. However, this would conflict with the coloured footsteps that is used when the movement cost is high.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

lose the alpha'd images. As previously mentioned, these will be confused with hidden units and they don't add anything to it visually. The first stopping point should have a '(1)' after it. The little post is a nice touch.

The place to post patches for consideration for inclusion is:
https://gna.org/patch/?func=additem&group=wesnoth

Make sure to put your email in the CC notification and reference this thread in the comments section and possibly the feature request # if you can find it.