Color Changes and Status

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Varthonai

Color Changes and Status

Post by Varthonai »

Where exactly is the code that causes a unit with status poisoned=yes to turn green and display the little green skull icon? Or to make a unit translucent when it has status hidden=yes? I'm trying to make a weapon special that has a slightly different effect on HP and turns the unit red instead of green, but I can't figure out where to write the code to do that. If someone could just tell me the file that it's in, I can work it out from there. (I'm assuming it's not going to be in WML; am I wrong? I didn't think it could be that easy, or I would have already figured it out.)

Thanks!
"Don't you worry about cancer?"
"I AM cancer. I do not frighten myself."
flabort

Post by flabort »

I'm not the best about WML, but i think if you set them to poison, they'll automaticly be set to green.

by the way, is this the right place for this? i think this should be moved.
Why build a bridge over a river, when you can stay at home and play?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Moved to WML workshop.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Varthonai

Post by Varthonai »

Well, that would be helpful if I wanted the color to be set to green. But as I said in my original post, it would be better if it were red. (Also, the unit would lose 8 hp per turn if I did that, and I don't want it to.)
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Moved to a more appropriate place

Actually this is not doable in WML and the question was probably more about the C++ code.

The information you're looking or is probably in generate_report.cpp & unit_display.cpp .
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Erm, it depends.

If you use the following WML code, your unit can be turned to red as if it was hurt. The effect is the same as if it was normally attacked:

Code: Select all

[store_unit]
    [filter]
        description=Elynia
    [/filter]
    variable=elynia_colorfx
[/store_unit]

[unstore_unit]
    variable=elynia_colorfx
    red,green,blue=255,0,0
    find_vacant=no
[/unstore_unit]
I think [unstore_unit] supports opacity set too (alpha value), but I'm not completely sure about this because I haven't seen it in action, unlike the code above (used a lot in UtBS and IftU).

The only task left would be to make it in an "name=attack_hits" event that filters on attacker's weapon name (special unit filter). Although it doesn't filter on its specials AFAIK, you could give it an unique attack name, i.e. "attackprobe", and give it a non-unique description, such as "sword". That way you could still filter on the 'attackprobe' hits and apply the effect to the victim (second_unit). Of course, making this in theory is easy, the problem is to make it real. Should not be too hard, either.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot that this code is for recoloring the floating label (that one set with text=...), not the unit. :oops:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Shadow Master wrote:Erm, it depends.

If you use the following WML code, your unit can be turned to red as if it was hurt. The effect is the same as if it was normally attacked:

[store_unit]
    [filter]
        description=Elynia
    [/filter]
    variable=elynia_colorfx
[/store_unit]

[unstore_unit]
    variable=elynia_colorfx
    red,green,blue=255,0,0
    find_vacant=no
[/unstore_unit]
That doesn't actually do anything. red,green,blue= there is just for colouring the floating text you can make appear above the unit when unstoring.[/quote]

The only way I can think of to give a unit a certain kind of colouring would be to add a new standing animation (via an [object]) to the unit which would do it, and making the filtering condition for that animation such that you can "remove" it when you wish by simply making the filtering not match anymore. Of course, this is quite complex to do.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

yeah, it's currently hardcoded into the C++. I wouldn't attempt to do this in WML. that's why it's in the Coder's Corner.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It would be ideal to implement it in such way it can be done with WML, tho.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Shadow Master wrote:It would be ideal to implement it in such way it can be done with WML, tho.
Seconded. I just had this exact same question over in the WML forum.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

I think that what you want is already doable, but there is indeed some hardcoded stuff to work around
First, you must know how to color-blend a frame:

[frame]
    image="units/monsters/yeti.png"
    blend_color = 0,0,200
    blend_ratio = 0.8
[/frame]
Then you need to know how filter the poisoned state

[unit_filter]
    [wml_filter]
        [status]
            poisoned="yes"
         [/status]
    [/wml_filter]
[/unit_filter]
Combine it in the [standing_anim] and, sadly, to work well you must also add it for all the other animations. Maybe we can add a "global to the animation or to the unit" blend_ratio, but need to think how to mix it with the frame-local one.

Anyways, now the harcoded ugly tricks:
the standard poison green blending will always be used if blend_ratio = 0, so use another blend_ratio to override it. Or a bogus 0.01 to cancel without replacing it. We also need to change this, because i don't like that the cpu uselessly real-time render this not visible blending. Or maybe i will just skip blend<0.1 at the sdl-function level.

For invisibility, use highlight_ratio, but the hardcode workaround is more imitating here, the default 0.5 highlight_ratio will be used if yours is > 0.5. Note also that a selected unit with highlight_ratio=1.0 will use highlight_ratio=1.5. We also probably need to change this and multiply by 1.5 instead of just replacing 1.0

Maybe i missed something, i just recently started to play with the anim code, but such annoying limitations make me want to try to improve it.

PS : I currently have plans for allowing to change the status icons (but i probably not enough time to do it cleanly before 1.3.11)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

boucman in #wesnoth-dev (GMT-03:00) wrote: It's doable in a "reasonably correct" way via WML; but having a possibility to set unit wide animation parameters as alink suggest would be great, the thought had never occured to me...

Linking it to abilities would be even better. I'll give it some thought, but that's not top priority and won't be until some time (not 1.4 material, anyway).

I can't reply, because it wold involve logging in the forum which would mark as read all my backlog of forum posts, but feel free to repeat what I just said there...

And the corresponding code is in /src/unit.cpp, in the unit::redraw() method if he is still interested.
Moving back to WML Workshop as per... request.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

How can such a kludgy and near-impossible workaround be considered a solution? This belongs in the Coder's Corner since the C++ needs to change. :?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Back.
Varthonai

Post by Varthonai »

Shadow Master wrote:
boucman in #wesnoth-dev (GMT-03:00) wrote: And the corresponding code is in /src/unit.cpp, in the unit::redraw() method if he is still interested.
Moving back to WML Workshop as per... request.
That's actually all I was really looking for here. Thnx, it's the most effective method for me thus far.

Glad that there are plans for WML implementation tho, this would be really useful for a lot of abilities.