More powerfull village naming

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AT

More powerfull village naming

Post by AT »

Since I've been away for so long, I'm restricting my work to easy things for the time being. First up, on the 'EasyCoding' page on the wiki there are several suggestions I've been looking at. Specifically:
* currently villages can use lake names and river names, this should be extanded to other features like bridges, swamps, mountains etc...
* it would be nice to have a separate list of "first sylabus" and "last sylabus" for naming. That's not really needed in english, but some translations could use it
* again, it is common to have village with more than one "random" word in them. having a $name2 variable would be nice
The functions at issue are generate_name(...) and default_generate_map(...) in mapgen.cpp, as well as the language cfg files (in my case, the /data/english.cfg).

First, with regards to using mountains and such as village names. From what I can tell, it already does this. There are village name types for seven distinct terrains. It is might not be obvious, since the name of the mountain is not used in the same way the river's name is. I think this can be changed easily. EDIT: I do, however, have to pass the bridge, mountain or swamp's name in a different manner. Should be fun!

Second and third, adding a second sylible or second variable is mostly trivial, but I'm not as wild about this addition. While it could be usefull in some languages, I'm thinking it might not be worth the additional conplexity. In either case, I'll at least add the ability to generate a second one, if wanted.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
AT

Post by AT »

If I understand it, the two current landmark names that can be used to name villages are river and lakes (although lakes are not actually used). Both use a string map (called symbols[]) to interpolate with the randomly generated name and other symbols (like the river name or lake name).

To add the ability to have use mountain names, for instance, I'm going to have to duplicate the code that stores (and then passes) the lake names, and adapt it to Mountains.
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."