How can I help?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bague

How can I help?

Post by Bague »

Ok, I have been using open source things for over a year now, and I always liked the idea of open source, but I currently know little programming. After playing for a few days, I am really getting addidcted to wesnoth and am wondering how I can help since I could possible do some art and music.

I have a few questions though,
will you accept more music to add to the game? The current music is great, but I would like to try my hand at making some, one question, what format must it be in? MIDI, Mp3? Also, what types of situations could you use music for.

I also have thought of making character sprites, but I do not know any characters to make such for, and what size or format.

Also, do I have to include programming files or just the art itself?

Any help is appreciated.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Hi, I'm glad you love the game so much and want to help. For starters why not read up on recent forum posts to see what we have been discussing recently. Especially Arts & Music Development and Developers Discussion. We can always use new artwork, you don't need any special programming knowledge, most artists just post their completed images to the forums. If you go to the Wiki section (which has a lot of good info for players and developers) and goto WesnothGraphics under scenario and graphics, you can see that we have been working on attack buttons, and you can see which ones still need to be done. Or the UnitAnimationsandSounds will show you what animations we need done for each unit, I think animations are just a series of images that get played when the unit attacks or defends. Feel free to post to the foryums with your ideas of rough drafts. We're here to help.

In terms of actual programming, thats a bit more complex, since they use CVS to update and store the wesnoth code, a system I don't quite understand. But someone else can probably help you if you want to get into coding.

Oh and why not get a forum account, no need to stay a guest. ;-)
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

The music files for the game are in Ogg Vorbis format. The unit pictures are .png

Welcome to Wesnoth and I hope you make some good contibutions.
-Kamahawk
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

You can actually save unit pictures in .png or .gif. I don't think it makes a difference.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Wesnoth only reads .png, but if your best opption is .gif those can be conveted easily, don't use .jpg Its VERY bad for small pictures like wesnoth units, It also will tweak thier colors when you save with it.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

and am wondering how I can help since I could possible do some art and music.
Hi, if you want to make some music i would propose you one for the second mission in the campaign. I played it yesterday and i thought i was going to break my computer! All my respect to the person that made this music but... argh... :x (i'm using Wesnoth 0.6.1, so maybe the musics have changed since in the devellopers version). Anyway thats a start :wink:

Aleksi.
miyo

Post by miyo »

There are also other campaigns under work: Undead, Orcs. I think they need music and scenario intro graphics - as far as I know no-one is working on those.

Orc campaign - contact benj
Undead campaign - contact Circon

- Miyo