Alright, archery attack poses for the Avenger completed.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dei

Alright, archery attack poses for the Avenger completed.

Post by Dei »

Here we go, this should fill the requirements nicely. I'll get started on the defense pic next. Due to a wee scaling problem, I ended up giving his bow an appearance somewhat similar to that of a Japanese longbow, i.e. longer atop than below.

And just for kicks, my try at an original Wesnoth style unit, also seeable at pixelation, and has been for a while.

Edit: The fixed images should be at the bottom of the thread, now.
Last edited by Dei on January 20th, 2004, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Great, I like how he fully streches the net of the longbow. It looks powerful, and believable.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

His left arm is wrong, you should move his forearm a bit up.

(Nice neko-amazon girl!)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

You mean the left arm and hand should be higher up on the bow. That makes sense since he is shooting in an upward arc, thus more of the bow would be below the arm instead of above it, so it looks like the is shooting slightly upwards instead of downwards.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Err I mean right arm.. damm I need to start viewing again Sesame Street :oops:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Oh right, when I draw a bow I do tend to keep both arms at pretty much the same level, but the elbow of the right arm point upwards instead of downwards. Is that what you are talking about?

But of course what I forgot was that when you draw a bow, your left arm holding the bow is often at eye level (as you sight down the arrow) and thus the right hard pulling the arrow back is about even with your ear. The problem with your archers arms is that they are more at chest level. I realize I'm nit-picking, but you can't aim with an arrow drawn at your chin level as it is in the icon. However looking at the icon again, I realize that drawing the bow would effectively hide is face from view, and thus drawing the bow a bit below the face as he is now, might look better instead of trying to be exactly accurate.

What were you referring to fmunoz?
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

DEi there are something wrong with the coluors, all are messed up (more dark and extra new colours).
Shadows need tobe in a special hue (#191911) to be alphablended.
The image is fine.. I saw this in the dwarf but I fixed it...
Dei

Post by Dei »

Image edited slightly, hopefully it'll fix the problem. I just shifted his right hand and arm up a pixel. A simplistic fix, but hopefully useable.

Edit: Gwar. Geeze. What the hell is going on with that? Bloody Pixen. Kick, kick. Messing up your own native file formats and giving me the wrong colours, will ya! Raarrg!

I'll see if I can't figure out what's wrong. Wish I had a more reliable editor.

Double Edit: Grrr. The way the sprites get darkened seem to be part of how Pixen handles .png's. This is very irritating, particularly considering how Pixen is meant for sprite editing.

Feh. And Photoshop doesn't handle pixel editing very well either. I wish I knew what was going on, but I'm not a particularly technically inclined person.

Further Edit: Okay, never mind. Figured it out, or rather, me ma figured it out. Note to self: Do not use CMYK. CMYK bad for online stuff. I can't believe I did something so stupid. Ah well. I'll fix em in a few.

Post by Guest »

Yeesh. I've tried everything I can think of, and things just keep getting worse. Mostly starting out from the base sprite I've been completely unable to make progress. PhotoShop keeps the colours uniform, but darkens them all by several shades, and Pixen just likes to throw in crap for some stupid reason.

This is quite exasperating, and I've had all I can stand at the moment. Gonna relax for a bit. Calm down, and then try again.
miyo

Post by miyo »

methinks

Post by methinks »

Dei: try using garphics gale, pretty good. Though it does not save as gif until you pay. you may convert it in photshop though :)
I like how it look slike, only problem with those colours :)
-Adam
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

I'd suggest you to bend the longbow ends about 1-2 pixels inwards to simulate the pressure and force of the shot, other than that and the color problem, looks good
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Use Graphics Gale. You can save GIF's for one month, afther that you'll have to register.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Svetac wrote:Use Graphics Gale. You can save GIF's for one month, afther that you'll have to register.
Just use the latest gimp (2.0pre1)? It's awesome and it's Free. And it has a Win32 installer.

And feck gif, use png. ;)
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Dei

Post by Dei »

Thanks for your suggestions. :) Unfortunately the programs you've offered for me to use only work if I'm operating Windows. Which I'm not.

I'm still working on coming to a solution, and have come to a halfway one. Regardless of file type Pixen continues it's irritating, jpeg-like pixel shifting, so I was forced to use PS, converting the images to .tiffs. They're lighter than the should be, but the shadows are at least a consistent shade. Irritatingly my ftp server is acting up again. Yeesh.

This is obviously taking much longer than it should, but I said I would do this, and so I will. One way or the other.