Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
jmosher

Does this mean the Assassin is fixed?

Post by jmosher »

Svetac wrote:
I noticed that many units stand on different positions in the 70x70 box. So when placed in the game they overlap with the castle walls, or stand more to left or more to right. Today I spent few hours and adjusted the standing positions of all of them. Now they're centered, and raised a little bit than preiously. This way they will fit even better the map and especially the castles. Dave if it's okay I can send them in a .zip file, so you can take a look at them in the game, and possibly include them in the next build. The eyecandy of the game can benefit from this, as I will have more freedom in making the objects.
Does this mean that the Human Assassin, who was standing so far to the left that his rather cool body was mostly blocked by his HP bar, is better placed now?
Joshua
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

to Woodwizzle
Yes, there is a progress. I'm shading and texturing it, experiencing slight pallete problems due to my inexperience. In the end it will turn out as imagined, only it's time consuming. I will post it here as soon as it's finished, or if I have WIP pic and want comments on it. Maybe I'll have to show something tommorow...maybe.

to jmosher
Yes, it means exactely that.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Some units are already updated (ie. thief, rogue), that odd positioning comes from old times, all player units used to be facing left and orc units right...
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Any progress? :D
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I heard rumors of a new castle in 0.7, I can't wait to see what graphical improvements we will see in the new version.
miyo

Post by miyo »

We can't confirm those rumors. If new castle tiles are available when release is made - then there will be new castle tiles. At the moment work on them seems stalled (at least no progress has been reported). IIRWIIR [1]

- Miyo

[1] It Is Ready When It Is Ready
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Yes, all my pixel works are paused at this time, due to my real life obligations. I don't think I can finish the castle for 7.0. The progress I made so far was unsignificant to be reported. Mainly I was struggling with the proper color choices and shading techniques and restarted the shading process few times. Soon(tm) I will show updated version of the castle. Please believe me that me too can't wait to finish it and see it in all it's glory :)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Glad you haven't vanished off the face of the earth Svetac. As annoying as the real world distractions can be, I understand how they are important. You have done some really good artwork though, so I hope to see more of your stuff when you get the time.

P.S. Your preliminary castle based on a hexagonal 7 hex castle did look really cool, but I was wondering how it would work for the oddly shaped castles. Would you have to draw a different castle for every possible configuration, or could the castle be in pieces that could be assembled together by the computer? Whatever, I'm sure you already thought of this problem.
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Nope, I'm around only I'm lurking :)

I plan to work on separate keep and castle hexes that will be close in look with the 7hex castles, and than can be merged and combined in order to get the desired hex construction. However due to the restrictions I expect that the assembled castles in such manner will be less visualy appealing than the 7 hex ones, but non the less they will serve the purpose.
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

great to see you back 'round here Svetac, really hoping your castle is coming out well :) (as the rest of your wesnoth projects)
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Hey there Slainte. Yes I'm virtually around, lurking, and all this progress makes I see you're guys making makes me happy :) I can't wait to finish the castle. That will be great motivation for the next castles.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

:-) nice to see you around
For next "castle" tyou could do some kinda of wooden fortification and/or encampment.
So we could use castles for MP and in places that this make sense and temp forts where there are traveling forces involved.
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Okay, I will put the fortification/outpost and encampment on my "to do" list. On my to do list there are also elven, dwarven, undead and orcish castle. I hope to produce those faster once I finish the human castle, because I will crack down the shading method.

So tell me more about the encampment and outpost - are they supposed to be one and same object or two different objects? Also, since the castles are going to be multihexed objects, what about the outpost and encampment? One hexed or multi-hexed?
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Same as castles (err I mean they will be castles too) jsut with a "temporal" feeling in it. To be used in places where no elaborate castle could be used.