difficulties with [target]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jp30

difficulties with [target]

Post by jp30 »

I've noticed that the ai no longer seems to behave the way it used to wrt the target tag. I'm trying to make allied units follow the player leader around and protect him (as in Home of the North Elves). But the allies resolutely ignore the player and zip off to fight the enemies.

Here's the relevant side definition:

Code: Select all

[side]
	type=Ghost
	side=3
	canrecruit=0
	controller=ai
	team_name=goodies
	no_leader=yes
		[ai]
		village_value=0
		[target] # try to get to Delfador and protect him
		description=Delfador
		value=100
		[/target]
		[/ai]
		[unit]
		description=Roland
		type=Ghost
		side=3
		x=34
		y=18
		[/unit]
	[/side]
This is with current CVS, and (I think) 0.7.9. I have tried putting target both in and outside the ai tag. The members of side 3 start off well out of range of any enemies. I suspect it might have something to do with this side being leaderless. This type of code worked back in 0.7.7.

Anyone else seen this problem? Does it afflict HotNE?
jp30

Re: difficulties with [target]

Post by jp30 »

jp30 wrote:I've noticed that the ai no longer seems to behave the way it used to wrt the target tag.
More on this problem... I've found that the problem goes away when leader_value is set to zero for the allies. At least that's a workaround. This behaviour is there in 0.7.10, and current 0.7.11-CVS.

I'm confused about what leader_value does. According to the Wiki, it controls how hard the AI tries to protect its own leader, but on line 144 of ai_move.cpp it seems to influence how hard the AI tries to attack enemy leaders.