Trouble with Siege of Elensefar

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Betelguese

Trouble with Siege of Elensefar

Post by Betelguese »

I'm playing version 0.6.1, and because this is the first time I've really played this genre of game, I've been playing on 'easy' level.
Inspite of this, I just cannot win this scenario, no matter what I do. :(
Please let me know what dumb mistakes I am making in this scenario or in previous ones. I have won the previous scenarios, but maybe not emphatically enough. For example, in Isle of the Damned I barely manage to hold out till the end, and don't have much gold left. In Blackwater Port, once I just held out till the end, and once I managed to kill the enemy leader but only in the last turn. I've had similar experience in Isle of Anduin, only managing to kill the enemy leader in the last or second last turn.
Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
BTW, great game.
Its also the first game I managed to get even this far. ;)
With Crimson Fields I never could win even the default starting scenario, I didn't do much better with Advanced Strategic Command, and the Freeciv manuals are so daunting I never managed to finish reading them, let alone start playing. I guess I just suck as a gamer :(
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

You could attach a save file (1st turn or replay) so we could give you more hints...
There is a wiki page with newbie hints
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?GettingStarted
One of the best ways to beat an scenario when you are new to wesnoth is to replay one (or more) scenarios, as it's sure that you learned something form the defeat, it will improve your starting resources for the troublesome level.
Feldegast

Post by Feldegast »

Examine each unit with the "Describe unit / Unit description" menu. Read the documentation. Move units into terrain which they do best in. Upon recruiting new units, check their "traits" and train and keep only units with good attributes. When you run out of gold often, you might want to prepare "loyal" units early and advance them to level 2.

With regard to "The Siege of Elensefar", much depends on what experienced units you can recall. E.g. a mage close to level 2 can help a lot when you make him a White Mage. Rangers or Avengers can attack the Orc leader early when they are supported by druidish units who heal them. Fast Scout/Outrider units can distract the enemy and take villages.

Consider attaching the save game of the previous level, so one can examine your units and give hints.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Suilad, mellon

You can find some replays for victory here: Replay tells more than thousand words - http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=511

- Miyo
matta

Siege of Elensefar

Post by matta »

This is the hardest level for me as well. In fact, I've only beaten it once.

The trick is to heed much of the advice said so far, but especially:

- Do not go in with only level 1 units. If you do not have a number of level 2 archers, fighters, etc. then you are dead meat. Level 2 horsement help a bit too. The only time I beat the level, I had some level 3 units as well. This took careful attention to advancing the experience of my units in all previous levels.

- Advance quickly to the middle castle keep and kill that leader first. Doing just this alone is 75% of the battle.

- Pay attention to day and night. Don't bother attacking with horsement except when it is full daylight, etc.

- Advance with a closely grouped "army", but also send out "scouts" to try to grab unoccupied cities and generally draw fire away from your main army. I tend to use archers for this, since they generally move faster than fighters, but are tougher than elvish scouts.
ThirdParty

Post by ThirdParty »

I've beaten Siege on easy with nothing but new recruits, so don't worry about your army being too weak. (My strategy does need a lot of gold, though...) The most important factor is paying attention to the day/night cycle.

Start with one elvish unit (fighter works) heading west to grab a few towns (like the one in the woods), and summon horsemen/knights to ride south (along with a healer or two if available, or any units you're hoping to train up for the future). Next turn: summon fighters to head south. Next turn: summon a scout or two to guard the forest to the west, and a scout or two to head south, and get Konrad moving.

Move your horsemen toward the city. It's ok to put them in range of the enemy; you want as many of his units to attack during daylight as possible (careful of the assassins, though). Keep fighting through dusk; pull your horsemen out as they get critically injured or when night falls--get them to spots where they can heal. By this point you should have some elvish units (fighters and/or scouts) ready to take up the front line. They're mostly trying to hold ground (difficult, since the undead line will be hitting you about then; on the other hand, the Orcs should be hurting). When dawn comes, take the city with horsemen, and move Konrad into it. Replace any units lost as you crushed the Orcs (hopefully not too many). Charge South again. Same process: come dusk, pull the horsemen back and get elvish units (or thieves) up front. At the next break of dawn, you can attack the undead leader and win.
Betelguese

Thank you very much !!

Post by Betelguese »

After reading all the advice here, plus repeated attempts, I finally managed to beat this scenario. Yay :lol: :D
I've only done it once, and I don't want to push my luck. I'm just glad to have beaten this level. Phew!
Thank you to everyone who posted advice.
bosmens

Post by bosmens »

This is indeed a tough scenario. :shock:
I have not been able to win yet (medium, v.0.6.99.3/4) not even with 3 knights a Palladin and 2 rangers and a truckload of archers. Do I need magical units? I'm more of a conventional weaponry guy myself.

When I'm totally crippled and bankrupt after I've almost dealth with the first wave from the middle castle lord, I get wiped from the surface of the earth by a horde of skeletons in armor.
I especially hate those poisoning crossbowmen.

let's see wether your tactics help, I'll post here when I manage to win this, and how. :evil:
miyo

Post by miyo »

I usually use fighters instead of archers: they have more hitpoints and when attacked they strike back harder. You shoud take advantage of causing damage to enemies when they attack you.

- Miyo
bosmens

Post by bosmens »

Argh [censored], I failed again twice.
I also tried replaying the previous scenarios anewd to gain more resources, but this feels a bit like cheating.
:oops:

the Elv fighter tip did make some difference though, tried several new approaches to distract the enemy too, pull them to one side with a quick squad etc., use mages on skeletons, but nothing seems to work.
I start around ~300 EURO, is this sufficient? I don't think there's much more money to score in the previous levels without failing them or without gaining enough experience points for creating a "Siege of Elensefar" worthy army.

good thing the crackling is out of the music btw. :)
nice game, keep it up :D
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

Archers won't help you any against the undeads. So don't use them (if they aren't very close to leveling and change to rangers).
Mages are great against undeads, which I find are the tougher enemies in this scenario. Level 1 won't do you much good (though this is a great scenario to let them finish of enemies to level them up!), but a level 2 mage (either white or red) will help a lot.
You need two kinds of units: Units that can soak up damage, and units that can kill. I use mainly rangers/avengers, konrad and red mages for the first task, and exactly the same (plus the white mage) for the second 8)
But you can of course use knights to soak up damage as well. The only problem is that they don't defend more than 40% on any terrain.
Lots of healers (3, better 4) to heal your damaged units so that they can rejoin the battle.
I've played this level this way: Used my knights to destroy lone wolfriders to the west, main force (rangers,mages,druids) goes straight south and positions itself as good as possible to withstand the enemy. If you kill them fast enough the enemy stream dries up after the first wave of undead skeletons. Then go and kill the ork leader. The rest is a cake walk. :roll:
I guess another good strategy would be to split your forces in two: one half holds the south flank, the other half circles to the west and approaches the orc leader from there. There are very little enemies on this side.
Maybe this would be easier, but I haven't tried it out yet.

My recallable units at scenario start:
1 Avenger
2 Druids
3 Rangers
2 Knights
1 White Mage
1 Red Mage
1 Elvish shaman that is close to leveling

530 Gold (but I spend only around 330 of it)

The big difference to your army is, that I have 3 healers+1 that will become one in this scenario. Druids/White mages have the cure ability, which heals up to 8 hp per unit (instead of the 4, that heal restores) and can cure poisoning. Remember that no healing unit will restore more than 18 hp per turn total (is this number correct?) and won't heal itself.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Note also that Paladins will slaughter undead. If you have one of them -- and it'd be difficult to have more than one at this stage -- it will help you greatly.

If you don't have any one of a red mage, white mage, or paladin at this stage, well, you'll probably find it difficult.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
bosmens

Post by bosmens »

pffff finally managed after a dozen of replays (also of previous maps).
Used a squad of Avengers and Knights backed up by Elven fighters a few shamans and a mage.

Went head on over the hills for the centre warlord with my Avengers flanked by knights. A small force of Elven fighters went over the west flank. Then I had to brute force down against the stream of undead.
All in all this replaying has taken away the joy in the game a bit, always found that seeking the edges of what's possible in a game engine makes it more of a calculation than a game experience. Perhaps I should give it some rest now. :shock: