User interface improvement: allow users to scroll through abilities, but, in general, scroll through any long listing

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
shevegen

User interface improvement: allow users to scroll through abilities, but, in general, scroll through any long listing

Post by shevegen »

I could file this on the github tracker, but I thought I should add a discussion first here - more people seem to use the forum than the github tracker.

I am playing the epic campaign again with like 200 scenarios or more. The one with tons of items and customized abilities and Belzebub and what not. I keep on forgetting the name...

Anyway. When there are too many abilities listed, I can not scroll through them and thus tend to miss out on a few. Like right now "Warlords rule" - it shows up during an attack, but I can not read it anywhere else because at the right end there appears only the "...", but not enough for me to get that "pop up" window.

Here I thought: what if we could, in this case, add two small arrows, boxes, one up and the other one down; or one left and the other one right.

This could appear in general for all entries where the user is given a choice for scroll-action. This can happen on a mouse-click event, e. g.
if you click on it, it scrolls forward or backward.

I am not sure such functionality has been integrated into the wesnoth UI yet; and I read elsewhere about the discussions to transition to a new GUI framework (but I highly recommend retaining being able to build wesnoth with the classic GUI, for many reasons - imagine a situation where it no longer builds, and everyone who was porting it drops off because it is no longer fun, that happened in other FOSS games I could watch).

Being able to scroll manually would be nice IMO.

On a side note, it would be nice if the in-game wiki could be made a bit more flexible, e. g. where all custom abilities in a campaign, IF they have a description also appear on the wiki and can be searched. That would be a workaround over the GUI suggestion above, e. g. in pseudocode:

"if this unit has a new ability, and/or new item,
add to the wiki entry about this ability"

If you know what I mean ^^^.

PS: also perhaps allow a way for users to trigger this pop-up window. Right now I can only get it on a on-mouse-hover action it seems. May be useful to be able to invoke it in other ways too, perhaps some keybinding that is not yet in use, or something like that.
dwarftough

Re: User interface improvement: allow users to scroll through abilities, but, in general, scroll through any long listin

Post by dwarftough »

I wonder if we can just list abilities each on a new line, not as a comma separated list in the right bar.
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II