WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

weewah

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by weewah »

I guess the simplest solution is just make the mercenaries cost more.

It was something like 100 gold for 10 units before, which is really cheap at 10 gold per unit, even if it included useless trash units like falcons and goblins.

Make it 300 gold for 10 units, and now it costs 30 gold per unit, which is roughly double the price of recruiting the units after 5 missions. Yuck!

But now its too yuck to really hire mercenaries, so how about making the costs increase each time instead of a static 300? You could pay 100 gold for the first mercenaries, 150 gold for the second, 200 for the third, and so on?

Edit: Continuing adventures of 1.11.0.
WF-Fief Uprising replay 20201229-023016.gz
(67.3 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Loyalist + Undead enemies = ew. My army was fighting while half-dead and poisoned throughout.
WF-Winter of Storms replay 20201230-181723.gz
(342.93 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Warning: Angry angry labels.

Everything that could go wrong did go wrong in winter. I'm still mad. :evil:

Right from the very start, the artifact caravan spawned at the same time as a group of bandits, and it died immediately after, so no artifacts for me.
I ruined a paladin by picking up a darkening potion. RNG nonsense and AI stupidity in preferring poison counterattacks killed my animal dwarven stalwart. My ONE AND ONLY Dwarven guardsman, because my mercenary rolls were also terrible :x .

I played it to the end anyway because I wanted to see what uprising looks like...
WF-Traitors replay 20201230-182336.gz
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
... and isn't this just a fief, but with only one enemy instead of two? I guess its also indoors, but other than that, I didn't see anything special, and could have won without any recalls since you start with 219 gold while the one enemy has only 175 gold. :hmm:
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thanks for the replays!

Looking at my notes ...

Last time I checked the gold between scenarios added up. I didn't check to make sure for this time, but there isn't a reason for it not working correctly anymore.

Undead can spawn west and south. Elves spawn west, dwarves spawn east.
Caravans in the winter plow the snow when they move.
In Traitors there is a very small chance of coming up against 2 loyalist sides. Most of the time it will be facing just the 1 enemy side.
All enemy leaders don't have traits.

Darkens wasn't removed, it was Stoneskin that was removed.

Any unit that has a ranged fire,cold,arcane attack can cast a rune. With the exception of drakes. The Runesmith doesn't have a ranged attack, so it can't cast runes despite of the name :(

In the latest uploaded version, the number of yields is taken into account in determining the size of the enemy.
Also the undead can have a variation of Necromancer (normal, removed bats from it), Skeletons (skel types only), Zombies (Ghouls, walking corpse, bats) <- probably the worst and most annoying of the lot, Ghosts (ghosts, walking corpse. can only happen in the winter)

I still haven't decided about the mercs issue.

Edit:
Darkens wasn't removed, it was Stoneskin that was removed.
Hmm, this isn't accurate. I just got stoneskin in the market. I guess I added it back to the market and forgot that I did.
But I'm sure you won't get it as a dead drop :)
weewah

Post by weewah »

Okay, here is a much much better replay for 1.11.2. I skipped the mercenaries and went for unlocking the orc faction asap.
WF-A New Beginning replay 20201231-181107.gz
(224.19 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
WF-Summer of Dreams replay 20201231-200017.gz
(268.77 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Nothing much to say here, these first two seasons played out almost the same as last time.

I did get a magnetic cavalier, so that was fun. :)
WF-Fief Uprising replay 20201231-202020.gz
(56.33 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Horrible horrible fief. Most of my forces were slaughtered, and I spent quite a few turns desperately trying to keep my leader alive while my grand knight snuck behind enemy lines to kill the two enemy leaders.

Do not like fiefs!
WF-Autumn of Gold replay 20210101-005018.gz
(318.96 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
WF-Fief Uprising replay 20210101-010750.gz
(64.2 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
WF-Winter of Storms replay 20210102-173715.gz
(361.01 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Trolls. Are. Awesome.

Nothing beats dwarven mercenaries, because all dwarves are decent or great units. Orcish mercenaries on the other hand give out garbage like goblins so I rarely get them.

Forgoing Mercenaries changes that since I can now just recruit the good units and ignore the rest. So I spammed and spammed and spammed troll whelps like no tomorrow, because they are awesome tanks and really cheap.

But then the game became really slow since I had so so many units to manage.

... maybe Hard difficulty farms should, in addition to not giving any gold, also not give any upkeep support until the caravan arrives. :twisted:

Actually nevermind, that will just make me have to recruit even more level 0 units to avoid paying upkeep.

Edit: How about letting peasant workers build some kind of houses, where your leader unit can recruit if and only if your total number of units (including the recall list) is less than 10 + 10/8/5 * houses?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thanks for the replays, the new upload will address a couple of issues I noticed in the replay.
I didn't know a keep could be generated so close to the center, I guess I'll keep it that way. Btw, Troll Shamans can cast runes too!
I added a new market item called wose sense. It will uncover all woses for you during your turn.
weewah wrote: December 25th, 2020, 9:59 am ... since you end up with a bunch of loyal level 3s later on who have no more goals in life....
AMLA will now be a selection between Default +3 HP or Loyal or +1 to damage or +1 to number of strikes.
weewah

Post by weewah »

+1 strikes is really overpowered on the right units, like Dune Cataphract or Dwarvish Dragonguard.
dolorousedd

Post by dolorousedd »

and if they chance upon a magnetic artifact...
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

I'm giving the elves and the dwarves keeps to recruit from. 1 in 3 they'll spawn as blob as usual.
Advantage of the keep is no recruitable grypon or bersekers. Those would spawn in blob mode only.
Disadvantage, the gold for recruiting is dependent on the number of farms/yields instead of trees/hills. And if the elves spawn at the same time, it would replenish the side's gold. So you'd have to move fast to burn down their keeps or kill the leaders.
I'm also pushing back how many trees/hills you can cut down/flatten before they spawn.
This was -10 and now it will be based on difficulty: E: -40 N: -30 H: -20.
Any suggestions before I go with this change?

Edit: uploaded elves/dwarves keeps update. This update also fixes a ton inconsistencies with AMLAs.
Surprise tent units and recruited peasant workers, walking corpses get their amla options right away.
weewah

Post by weewah »

vghetto wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:43 am
This was -10 and now it will be based on difficulty: E: -40 N: -30 H: -20.
I don't really like this because it will become harder to complete the diplomacy missions for killing elves/dwarves. Especially on easy, you would have to cut more than 40 trees to spawn elves!

Maybe if there was some way to intentionally anger raiders to increase their spawn chance? Like, you could call the elves from your library, and deliberately set fire to a tree in front of them for the lolz to make them mad.

As for the +1 strike AMLA, considering how strong it is, how about making it a reward for a unit completing a specific task? For example, you could make it so the +1 strike AMLA (which can be taken at most once) is only unlocked for a unit after it strikes the killing blow on an enemy of equal level. Alternatively, you could make it unlock after the unit has made 20 kills (using the quest level formula where level 2s and 3s count as 2 and 3 points respectively).

Then other powerful AMLAs can also be added for various achievements. Like some large HP AMLAs for taking enough damage, or large damage AMLAs for dealing enough damage, or even some +1 move point AMLAs for traveling enough hexes.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Negative trees/hills values reset to zero at the end of winter. Same thing happens for positive values if you have the treaties bonus.

Sacrificing push them back to -40 -30 -20.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... CAB89F1C3/
yes yes i know im probably making it unbalanced as hell with mods...(Reign of the lords advancemnts AND Advanced wesnoth wars)

Ok, so my town is ready to conquer a kingdom. Can I suggest to add some kind of special missions in library where for example:
Weldyn call for our aid because they are overwhelmed by orcish army and there is a big battle
OR
maybe some kind of mini campaign
OR
maybe another way to achieve faction bonus where we would have to win a big fight for specific faction.

In SpellForce3 in campaign there is a concept of hideout/town where we prepare our army/heroes etc. for another mission.
Its similiar to WildFrontiers and call for aid mission except that in WF we are focused on town not on missions.
I know its probably a lot of work but how about making some story out of it.
First they call for aid like it is already.
Next call for aid they have their keep but they need our help with hordes of orcs/undeads.
In third call for aid they also have their keep but this time enemies carry some powerful artefact that makes all of them a little bit stronger and when we win our allies afraid of enemies will join our town and also we would be able to capture that artefact.

However those are just ideas of a player that need some background story to not feel the closed loop of events.
I really enjoy special raids events(being surrounded by orcs/ woses rush/lich raising undeads from the ground).
EDIT: OH i forgot. Is it posibble to add command in lantern where we would be able to order our mercenaries to attack animals or something like changing their diplomacy with animals?

(btw lanterns can move 1hex at first turn of a season xD)

Thank You for your WF.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm yes yes i know im probably making it unbalanced as hell with mods...(Reign of the lords advancemnts AND Advanced wesnoth wars)
Interesting looking screenshot, I don't recognize some of the units there.
vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm Ok, so my town is ready to conquer a kingdom. Can I suggest to add some kind of special missions in library where for ...
This has been suggested before. Sounds like a special kind of Fief side mission.
I don't know yet, to be determined.
vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm In SpellForce3 in campaign there is a concept of hideout/town where we prepare our army/heroes etc. for another mission. ...
I don't know what that is, I can't find SpellForce in the addons. quick google. Oh!
vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm EDIT: OH i forgot. Is it posibble to add command in lantern where we would be able to order our mercenaries to attack animals or something like changing their diplomacy with animals?
I'll do that.
vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm (btw lanterns can move 1hex at first turn of a season xD)
Fixed, it'll be in the next upload. Funny I didn't notice it before, seems to happen in 1.14 only and not 1.15.
vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm Thank You for your WF.
Thanks for playing :)
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: January 21st, 2021, 2:25 pm
vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm yes yes i know im probably making it unbalanced as hell with mods...(Reign of the lords advancemnts AND Advanced wesnoth wars)
Interesting looking screenshot, I don't recognize some of the units there.
Yes. Thats because Reign of the lords mod is adding level 4 and 5 units advancement so most of defualt units have now more evolutions and some of them also have more paths of evolution to choose(for example mage can advance to mage of nature at some point)

That special raid event is an awesome idea, bunch of gryphons just settled a nest at the edge of my town. Its fun to find something still unknown to me in this mod. Tutorial grandpa told me that 'there is no point to go for the nest this time :eng: '(something like that and something that all of them are adults) and that push me toward conclusion that there is also an event where it is important to go for the nest. :whistle:
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

is there a wiki or something i could use to find out what exactly my buildings do? maybe i can open advisor dialogue in the editor to read again what i've already seen? i'd like to know things like: what's the purpose of a road, what's the purpose of a stone wall, when will windmill finally spawn a caravan, does building more taverns or forges does anything.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Violet-n-red wrote: January 24th, 2021, 8:20 am is there a wiki or something i could use to find out what exactly my buildings do? maybe i can open advisor dialogue in the editor to read again what i've already seen? i'd like to know things like: what's the purpose of a road, what's the purpose of a stone wall, when will windmill finally spawn a caravan, does building more taverns or forges does anything.
Hi,

There is no wiki, I'll see about having an inbuilt tutorial that you can go back to.
Spoiler:
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

thank you for the reply :)

enjoying the mod very much so far. right now i'm fooling around on Easy, looking forward to trying this mod on higher difficulty once i'll learn how everything works.