WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

OTna

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by OTna »

Very nice! Your town is on its way to become its very own kingdom. By the way, what year is it?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

end of summer of second year.
Norrec

Post by Norrec »

Unfortunately this town will no longer be in use, and it's glory will end, because there are multiple new things that i need to explore ahhaha but given enough time i would have made it into a fairy tale city, but next city shall be amazing as this one, but it will tale time, but i do plan on doing it again, but yes if we can have taverns and other fantasy elememts, it would be amazing,
Like from taverns you can recruit outlaws from different races, like they ran from their kingdoms and nations over wide reasons, such as an hair to a kingdom, had to run because he was blamed of killing his father, a orc genius went into hiding because his race didn't want to give away their ways, and was prosecuted against, an elf that has fallen in love with an human, and then you can make a side quest on the map, if you wish to employ them, or have random events popping out, that they come and ask for your help, and you give it to them, and then he becomes your loyal subject and such
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-04-08-11-10-24-345_it.alessandropira.wesnoth114.jpg
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Spoiler:
Edit2:
Skayland wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 8:24 pm I think the bowyer should also allow recruiting woodsman, im not sure if one bowyer should allow bowman AND woodsman or its better to have 2 separate bowyers, or maybe we can get woodsmans from the start?
Spoiler:
Since everyone is sharing screenshots, here's my latest town. This is the first winter.
Screenshot_WF.png
weewah

Post by weewah »

Started a hard game on version 1.2.31, here's how it went:
WF-A New Beginning replay.gz
(101.6 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Much cheaper farms led to much faster expansion. I chose to expand towards the southwest direction, because Orcs burn buildings while Elves and Undead do not. Plus Elves were easily defeated by Spearmen, so I didn't think they would be a problem. The Tavern gave more gold than a village in hard mode, so I built it fairly early.
WF-Summer of Dreams replay.gz
(178.16 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
The Elves got angry at me for constantly chopping down trees. I continued anyway because they were in the way of my farms, and most enemy leaders dropped enough gold to start an entirely new city (500+), so I welcomed their attacks.
WF-Autumn of Gold replay.gz
(256.82 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
This is where things went crazy. On turn 5 the first Elvish Ancient Wose appeared and told me that I would learn true fear. I laughed, because even though it was new and Ancient Woses are terrifying foes for loyalists, there was only one of them. How much damage could it possibly do?

Then another one stepped out of stealth. And then another wave of Elves attacked while I was still dealing with the first one, bringing two more Ancient Woses. And at the same time the Undead attacked from the south. I was in full-blown panic by then, and recruiting tons of new units every turn. Ruffians were my salvation, with the cheap cheap cost of 6 gold letting me buy over a hundred of them. I sent them all to hug the Woses so that they would die instead of my important units.

Then, before I could even deal with the first Ancient Wose, a third wave of Elves appeared around turn 11, so there were now 6 Ancient Woses wrecking my army. I learned true fear then, because every wave of Elves spawned only a few turns after the last, and if this pattern continued I was going to be fighting a entire forest of Ancient Woses.

But then no more Elves spawned for the rest of the season. Was there a hidden cap of 3 Elvish attacks per season?
WF-Winter of Storms replay.gz
(198.52 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
I think I gained more gold in winter than any other, since I couldn't spend the money on construction projects and there were lots of very very rich bandit leaders for me to loot.
WF-Spring of Raindrops replay.gz
(206.83 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
More Elves and Ancient Woses spawned, but I was ready this time with my second stable and a castle wall stretched to the western signpost. For every wave of Elves I just recruited a bunch of Horsemen and sent them on a suicide charge at the Elvish troops, leaving the Ancient Woses alone so my troops could surround and destroy them one by one. Reached 20k gold before the season ended, so I never got the chance to see a Calamity.

Oddly, I negotiated with the drakes to get a bunch of their units under my command. Then a while later another small band of drakes appeared, this time hostile towards me. I used some of the drakes they sent for me to kill the drakes they sent against me. I guess this means negotiating with a faction does not stop said faction from attacking you.

Some suggestions based on this playthrough:
  • Elves are terrifying, in how they can spawn every two or three turns. Can some kind of cooldown be added so they can't spawn more than once per day (6 turns)? On the other hand they always spawn in the same location, so that makes it easy to just station a bunch of defenders there.
  • Enemy Leaders usually drop way too much gold, 500+ gold is more than what hard mode begins with, and is enough to pay for 10 more farms and the troops to protect them. This would be fine if not for the fact that it is very very random. You get 0 gold if the leader dies to anything other than your soldiers, like another group of bandits, your supposed allies, or even the wild animals. Even if you recruit a bunch of fencers/cavalry/horsemen so you can rush out there and kill the enemy leader before anything else does, randomness can still result in the leader dropping only 60 gold or even less. This means that with a bit of luck, you can claim a bunch of huge bounties very early, and use them to build farms everywhere and proceed to win in only 1 or 2 years. But if you have no luck in bounties then the game is way way harder.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thank you so much for doing this. It took me so many hours just to watch the whole thing and it was incredibly insightful. I wonder how long did it take to play. You've earned yourself an end credit :)
There will be a bunch of changes because of this replay.

For future reference anyone who'd like to see this replay, you'd need to check out revision git branch replay 75e7dfb

You got lucky and didn't get an orc raid in the summer or spring. About the elves, the version that you played lacked the addition of library intelligence report. That report would have told you how likely you are to be raided by the elves and whether it's ok to cut down trees or start planting trees instead.

The amount of gold that the outlaws (side 3,4) dropped depended on how many farms you had, and you had a ton! incidentally, it would have been the same amount that the raids got to recruit with! So, more farms meant more raids enemies. that is why i thought it was a good idea to try and make up for it with the outlaws bounties. clearly i was mistaken.
I'll change the amount for all enemy bounties to be between 20 and 60 + whatever turn income the side has accumulated up to that point.
Elves had the accumulated sum only independent of the number of farms, that's why they gave much less gold.

Burning down of buildings and farms is done by race, so if a human dark adept or necromancer would have gotten to your encampment or farm, they would have burned it down.

Being allied with any side doesn't mean that they won't spawn as bandits. side 4 starts as regular outlaws in the first year and then flips to default era factions like drakes,knalgans,loyalists,northerners,rebels and undead.
Finally yes there is a cap on how many groups of elves spawn, and you used them all up i guess. In the winter they won't spawn that's why you got them on the first turn of the spring.

Other notes and changes:
I'll add a tutorial note about eating mushrooms, they heal injured units a little and you did it only once while not injured. I don't know if you avoided them intentionally or didn't know about that property.
I'll remove the extra confirmation message when paving a road.
I'll reduce the turns of diverting streams. it's a slow process already since it can't be done simultaneously. It'll be done in 1 turn instead.
Hills that were once mountains should have snow on them in the winter.

I'll think about making the enemy spawn along the edge and not at the exact signpost. I might do that too.

There will be other changes coming, but they don't concern this replay and version, I'll list them in the changelog later on.
Thank you!
petitnicolas

Post by petitnicolas »

First, I want to tell you how great Wild Frontiers is! I had so much fun trying it. Congrats, you rock!

Having said that, I must still report a small bug I found. In my second summer, water dried up. A bridge I had built came to be over land. I tried to bring back water but it wouldn't allow me. In the following fall, I sent a rogue mage to destroy that bridge. When the bridge was destroyed, that patch of land turned into water!?! And I wasn't able to build back a bridge.

So I went into the save file to take a look. That hex was saved as Ww^Es. Removing the embellishment tag fixed the problem(just Ww). I can send the save file, previous auto-save files and replay if you need them.

The Battle for Wesnoth version 1.14.8
Wild Frontiers version 1.2.45

Thanks for your time.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

I'm so sorry about those bugs. What you found were actually 2 bugs. Peasant Workers didn't build on embellished water and destroying bridges created water. Both of them will be fixed in the next upload.
The update won't add the ability to bring back water under a dried up bridge though. That should go in the cycle of destroy bridge then divert stream then build bridge.

I enjoy watching replays. They teach me a lot, and they help me find potential problems with my code.
I'd love it if you or anyone upload their replays if they wished, I'll definitely watch them.
Thank you
weewah

Post by weewah »

I updated to version 1.2.49 and have some feedback.

Bugs/Oddities:
  • At the start of each season, some of the previously taken artifacts respawn while others do not. Is this intentional? The artifacts respawn in the same location and have identical bonuses. Having a unit stand on top of an artifact spawn location at the end of a season also caused an "Unknown Artifact" message when loading the next season.
  • In winter, peasant workers can still build structures on top of roads. They can also drain swamps to make grassland instead of snow.
Balance Suggestions:
  • Could caravan speed be increased from 4 to 6? It gives a really powerful bonus, but is also really susceptible to randomness since new enemies can spawn in front of it. I had a westbound caravan ambushed by two elf waves and that caused more damage to my economy than literally everything else combined. :( A higher speed for caravans should reduce the effect of such randomness.
  • I found the orcs to be much much weaker than Elves/Undead. This is because Orc keeps only have 3 castle tiles, so their attacks start with a moderate wave of units followed by a long but thin stream of units. Meanwhile elf/undead attacks have all of their units appear instantly in one giant powerful wave, making them far harder to defend against. Perhaps Elves/Undead should spawn with much less units but far more often? Or somehow have only some of their units spawn each turn?
  • Bowmen seem really bad in this campaign. The main enemies are Elf/Undead, so the Elves murder bowmen with their better archers, while the Undead/Woses have high pierce resistances that render arrows pointless. Especially now that woodsmen exist with their 4x3 ranged attack (compared to bowmen's 6x3) and 0 upkeep, the archery range seems like a complete waste of gold and turns. Or at least until year 2 when the other factions start appearing in greater numbers. I don't really see how to address this though, and perhaps it's fine the way it is.
  • For diplomacy, can players get an option to select which mercenaries to prioritize? Many of the possible allies have some really good units (dwarf fighter, dune soldier, troll whelps, drake burners, woses, etc.) and some really bad units (goblins, bats, saurians, falcons, etc.), so sometimes you unluckily get a bunch of the bad units or none of the good units. Some option to select a unit type and get at least 2 of that unit would be much appreciated.
Feature Suggestions:
  • A 2x2 Market building that functions like a reverse Windmill. A few times early in the season, if you have a Market, you will get a message like "Our traders have found a powerful artifact called <Artifact Name>. Should we buy it for X gold?" where X is between 100 to 200 gold and the artifact found is random, possibly the same as the artifacts that randomly spawn at the start of the campaign. If the player chooses to buy it, a caravan will appear at the edge of the map in a few turns. Then when the caravan reaches the Market, it will despawn and the Artifact will appear in its place, allowing any of the player's units to pick it up. If the caravan is killed, maybe the artifact should still appear where it dies, but the player should then have to pay a 50 gold penalty when buying the next artifact.
  • A 2x2 Training Ground building that can be turned on and off like a Lighthouse. While on, at the end of each turn, each unit on the training ground receives 1xp at the cost of 1gold.
  • Taxation: At the end of every non-winter season, on easy/medium/hard difficulty, players are taxed 2/4/6 gold per farm over 20 and an additional 3/6/9 gold per farm over 50. This is small enough that struggling cities won't really lose anything, and smart players cannot benefit from destroying and rebuilding their farms at the end of the season. It also presents a nice additional challenge for cities that are doing really well, especially on hard difficulty, since they will have to pay a big sum of money instantly at the end of each non-winter season. This could send their gold into the negative and make it harder to fend off new enemies early in the next season.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

weewah wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:03 pm I updated to version 1.2.49 and have some feedback.
Thank you for this feedback.
In general, if the upload changes the last number 1.2.49, then it is considered safe to update WF without having to start a new campaign. But when the middle number changes, 1.2.49 then it will mean it is incompatible with older save files.
weewah wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:03 pm Bugs/Oddities:
.. artifacts ...
Oops, sorry about that. Artifacts are not supposed to respawn, that was a bug. I hope the latest update fixes it without breaking save file compatibility. fingers crossed.
weewah wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:03 pm
  • In winter, peasant workers can still build structures on top of roads. They can also drain swamps to make grassland instead of snow.
Yes, you can build on roads and drain swamps in the winter, I changed the drainage output to dirt instead of grassland, spring will convert all dirt to grassland.
weewah wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:03 pm Balance Suggestions:
Could caravan speed be increased from 4 to 6?
Increased caravan movements from 4 to 5 as a compromise.
weewah wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:03 pm ... orcs .... bowmen ....
I don't know, i'll think about how to address these or if they require any changes.
  • For diplomacy, can players get an option to select which mercenaries to prioritize? Many of the possible allies have some really good units (dwarf fighter, dune soldier, troll whelps, drake burners, woses, etc.) and some really bad units (goblins, bats, saurians, falcons, etc.), so sometimes you unluckily get a bunch of the bad units or none of the good units. Some option to select a unit type and get at least 2 of that unit would be much appreciated.
WF uses Sigurd's random algorithm for spawning the units, that means there is a list of types that could spawn. If any type gets picked to spawn, it gets removed from the list and will spawn again only once the entire list is flushed out first. So, generally you should get at least 1 of each type depending on how big the list is and how many are allowed to spawn at that time.
The year and mission number dictate the number of mercenaries spawned.

Btw, completing 10 missions for any faction will unlock that faction's bonus. That means you can directly recruit those types and level 2 units will spawn at the edge. I don't remember if version 1.2.49 does that though.
weewah wrote: May 17th, 2020, 5:03 pm Feature Suggestions:
  • A 2x2 Market building that functions like a reverse Windmill. A few times early in the season, if you have a Market, you will get a message like "Our traders have found a powerful artifact called <Artifact Name>. Should we buy it for X gold?" where X is between 100 to 200 gold and the artifact found is random, possibly the same as the artifacts that randomly spawn at the start of the campaign. If the player chooses to buy it, a caravan will appear at the edge of the map in a few turns. Then when the caravan reaches the Market, it will despawn and the Artifact will appear in its place, allowing any of the player's units to pick it up. If the caravan is killed, maybe the artifact should still appear where it dies, but the player should then have to pay a 50 gold penalty when buying the next artifact.
Awesome, I love this. Might do something like that. I'm also thinking of removing that starting artifacts altogether and have them spawn where an allied leader dies.
  • A 2x2 Training Ground building that can be turned on and off like a Lighthouse. While on, at the end of each turn, each unit on the training ground receives 1xp at the cost of 1gold.
I'm still not sure about this. This isn't the first time someone suggested something like that.
  • Taxation: At the end of every non-winter season, on easy/medium/hard difficulty, players are taxed 2/4/6 gold per farm over 20 and an additional 3/6/9 gold per farm over 50. This is small enough that struggling cities won't really lose anything, and smart players cannot benefit from destroying and rebuilding their farms at the end of the season. It also presents a nice additional challenge for cities that are doing really well, especially on hard difficulty, since they will have to pay a big sum of money instantly at the end of each non-winter season. This could send their gold into the negative and make it harder to fend off new enemies early in the next season.
Negative gold is an instant defeat in WF. This is why we have the increased village troops support, the low gold warning message, and no village burning in the winter :)
But having said that, I don't get the point of this taxation. The number of raids/calamity enemy size is closely tied to the number of available farms. More farms equals bigger raid size. Isn't that enough?
weewah

Post by weewah »

On second thought, I forgot that you can be nice to the elves so they won't attack you. In which case orcs become a worthy enemy, and bowmen are useful. I retract my thoughts on orcs and bowmen.
Increased caravan movements from 4 to 5 as a compromise.
Btw, completing 10 missions for any faction will unlock that faction's bonus. That means you can directly recruit those types and level 2 units will spawn at the edge.
:shock: ! Gonna try that.
I'm also thinking of removing that starting artifacts altogether and have them spawn where an allied leader dies.
This will lead players to constantly call for allies with their lighthouses, then tell all their non-leader allies to go on sentry so the leaders get themselves killed :twisted: .
Negative gold is an instant defeat in WF.
I forgot that. The tax idea definitely won't work then. Hmm...

Edit: Now updated to v1.2.59, more feedback.

Bugs/Oddities:
  • Mushrooms exist in winter.
  • Bunnies utterly destroy woodsmen with their berserk attacks in winter. That's not a problem gameplay-wise, but funny story-wise since woodsmen are supposed to hunt bunnies for food.
  • I made a huge ring of castles, then broke the ring with a rogue mage. After that, some of the castle tiles no longer let me use 'Stand Down' on my units, even though they were still connected to my keep and I could still recruit units on them.
  • When I completed 5 dunefolk diplomacy missions and started the 6th, the dialogue restarted from the beginning, with my loyal units asking whether I decided on an ally and the dunefolk once more consulting the stars to see if helping me was a good omen.
  • When I summoned my dunefolk allies with my lighthouse, loyalist allies appeared instead.
Balance Suggestions:
  • I found out you could summon allies every single turn for 100 gold each, and these allies come in groups of 7ish level 2-3 units. While these units are uncontrollable and not as good as your own, they do not cost you any upkeep. So I literally called for hundreds of allied units and then they dealt with all my enemies (except wild animals) without me needing to use any of my own units. Something should be added to stop this: a cooldown between allied summons, or increasing the cost each summon, or a cap on how many allies you can call per season, etc.
Feature Suggestions:
  • Could we give factions tribute to increase diplomacy? I ask because some of the missions are really hard or take some luck to pull off. For example, there are missions to kill orcs or undead, but those don't necessarily spawn every summer/autumn, so the missions will take literal game-years to complete if the player is 'unlucky'. This issue could be avoided by giving the faction a large gold tribute (say 300 gold each?) without hiring any mercenaries. (Though maybe it should be disabled for the undead faction since they seem intentionally really hard to get.)
  • Could we get a confirmation message for 'Standing Down' units? I have accidentally stood down a few units when trying to improve to stone on a snow castle or simply misclicking. It wastes 20 gold to get the unit back afterward.
Edit: More oddities I forgot to list:
  • Getting the magnetic artifact removes firststrike from spearmen.
  • The illuminate artifact does not have the illumination glow, so it is hard to remember which unit picked it up.
Last edited by weewah on May 20th, 2020, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

1.2.60 uploaded.
Like elves, Dwarves will spawn from the east when hills/mountains are destroyed.
expect a huge batch to spawn on existing saves :)

@weewah I just saw your post, i'll address these issues in the next upload.
When you summoned using the lighthouse, what did the lighthouse message say? loyalist or dunefolk?
If you have a save file or replay for that, it'll be helpful.

Mushrooms exisiting in winter is fine by me.
The deadly rabbit is a Monty Python joke suggested by OTna.
Restarting the quests resets the initial dialog, that's intentional incase the player missed the text the first time.

You can always suspend any quest and switch to another. The progress for each quest is tracked and won't be lost.
For some missions, certain units could do, example killing bats counts for the undead quests, woses count for the elves.
I don't remember if I have anything for the orcs, I might add ogres as an alternative.

Edit: I couldn't reproduce the Stand Down bug, do you still have the save file of that happening?
weewah

Post by weewah »

Like elves, Dwarves will spawn from the east when hills/mountains are destroyed.
*Trembles in fear.*

Elves are total pushovers for loyalists (except for wose). Dwarves are very much NOT that.
WF-Autumn of Gold replay.gz
(285.54 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Near the end of autumn I believe the lighthouse told me it would summon dunefolk, but I saw loyalists appear instead.

Also contains a good example of why Elves are easy: lots of horsemen charging into their casters/archers/pierce-vulnerable scouts, leaving behind their really bad fighters. This will not work on Dwarves.
WF-Winter of Storms replay.gz
(279.93 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
I finished building the ring of castles in winter. (Also started messing around.)
WF-Spring of Raindrops-Auto-Save11.gz
(404.17 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
In spring I broke the ring of castles and then the last few on the northern side of the break stopped letting me use stand down.

Also contains proof that summoning allies is very overpowered.
WF-A New Beginning replay.gz
(144.55 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
WF-Summer of Dreams replay.gz
(210.63 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
The first two seasons, in case they are relevant.
OTna

Post by OTna »

The bunny joke was originally a little bit longer. However, we decided that it was safer to not include the entire thing due to possible copyright infringement. Here's the dialog in full:

*If one of your unit spots a rabbit for the first time*
Fool: My lord, I just spotted a ferocious beast! We have to be on our guard!
Cynic: It was a rabbit…
Fool: That’s how they trick you! Those little bastards make people think that they are cute, harmless critters only to strike once they smell blood... However, they can’t trick me. I am immune to their deceitful nature!
Cynic: Righhhht…

*You see an unit at striking distance of a rabbit and that units’s health is red, the rabbit will attack and this dialog occurs* (this dialog only happens once)
Attacking rabbit: GRARGHHHHHH!!!
Unit got attacked: Ahhh!!
Fool: I knew it!

I also think that the option to call for help from allies should be toned down a bit. For greatly expanded towns that could make over 100 gold/day even in spring/autumn, relying on allied patrols to do the dirty work is defenitely a way to play (especially with the help of trading that brings in massive income). Perhaps you could make it so that there is a 10-turn cooldown which could become lower once you complete more missions from that faction (cap at around 5 turns or so) and that there can only be at most 3-5 groups of allied patrols on the map?

Regarding taxation, maybe a tax collector from the kingdom could appear at the beginning of the year and ask you to pay an amount of gold depending on your current fund? Example: <10000 gold: tax you 10% of your gold, 10000-15000 gold: tax you 20% of your gold, 15000-20000 gold: tax you 30% of your gold, >20000 gold: tax you 50% of your gold; this ensures that ultimately, the player would have to expand their town instead of relying on having loyal units and save up money over time.

Having dwarves attacking your town due to you crushing hills/mountains is a bit odd lorewise (dwarves don't care about mountains outside their territory, unlike the elves who would go bananas if any trees is chopped). However, you having them spam from the eastern side of the map (which means that they most likely came from the Swamp Of Dread) gives me an excuse to think of a reason for why they attack. I will write escalating dialog for dwarven raiding parties the more you kill their leaders as soon as I could find the time to do so.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

1.2.61 uploaded, it fixes the bugs mentioned (stand down, illuminate, first strike, dunefolk)
I completely forgot to implement the dunefolk summoning, that's why you got loyalists as fallback. lol
The illuminate bug is fixed but it won't show on existing saves.

Added ogres as an alt to orcs.
Added confirmation message on stand down.
Summoning cost adds 75 per merc leader. This doesn't include the free lvl 1 king troops.

@OTna, As it stands the current dialog is silly, tbh. I copied over the elf text and replaced elvish references to dwarvish ones. I'm counting on you to fix that :) Thanks
Oh, the dwarvish special units on the third raid are Gryphon Masters.

Edit: nerdy stuff. For future reference, last replay uploads require revision 1e275aa

Edit2: the elves killed the allied leader, that's why they had 263 gold. It was accumulated side 9 gold from the first season.
They could have killed a bandit along the way and got their gold too.
Other than the already fixed bugs, I didn't see a need to alter anything. a winter farm isn't a big deal. Building in the winter, though heavily restricted is also fine by me.
I think that farm would have burned down if a burning enemy captured it.
The elves and dwarves raids now reset to -10 instead of 0. That would give you some breathing space.
Elves and dwarves will also spawn in the winter, but it's limited to 1 for each on normal, 2 on hard i think.
The undead raid was crazy :shock:
the bunnies killing your two woodsmen was hilarious :lol:
Quest spying on signpost is ... i dunno. I'm leaving it as it is for now.