Scenario 8: Carcyn

Feedback for the mainline campaign Secrets of the Ancients.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 8: Carcyn

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
jeremybauerle

Re: Scenario 8: Carcyn

Post by jeremybauerle »

(1) Difficulty level & Version?
  • Corrupt (Challenging) 1.13.8
  • I love it when campaigns split the party for a little while.
  • At this point, I'm still playing as though Ras-Tabahn is going to betray Ardonna, so I was reluctant to use (level up) Ras-Tabahn and Vash Gorn because I assume they will be on the battlefield when the betrayal occurs. (But this is a good thing because I'm conflicted: use the strong units now to win quicker, or hold them back to help Ardonna later.)
  • Should Carcyn the 2nd (Enemy leader) comment when Carcyn the 3rd (Loyal ally) dies?
  • I was expecting more events to occur when I visited a named village: Public House, Mercantile, the Cemetery, etc.

• The Jailhouse allies are hard to protect. (I just ran them away because they can't defend themselves.)
  • Managing to claim ALL the villages was nearly impossible while there were still enemies alive.
  • 6. This felt like the first standard Wesnoth map, gameplay/strategy-wise: Summon your faction's normal Level 1 units, wait until your faction's preferred time of day and attack, retreat on your faction's opposing time of day. (Nothing wrong with that)
  • There's really only one objective: Kill enough of the enemy to win. If visiting the villages is really the objective (thematically to convince the young villagers to join you), then maybe only require that each village be visited once. And maybe give a bonus for the villages that are still claimed at the end of the scenario.
  • The named villages are just begging for something to happen at them, even if it's just dialogue.
Last edited by Ravana on June 26th, 2017, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed color.
SanDonk

Post by SanDonk »

1) Difficult, 1.14.1
2) 6-7, basically comparable to the first scenario, tough but playable
3) Actually I was sad not to see Ardonna here. I started to like her to be honest :) The old mage hidden in cave is not bad, but he is not really interesting, this character seems quite stereotypical (old necromancer hidden in cave, it is quite a cliche) and would be nice invent something to make people like him better (I am not sure what though).
4) just numbers and proper placement of units in completely open area. It is not a big deal even when the enemy is more populous. I actually disliked the mages, but those skeleton axes work well against them.
5) 7-8, good idea to make objective of capturing villages, but actually it is just a kill all scenario, because it does not make sense to capture villages far away and endure backstabbing. Interesting still though
6) i also missed some action or dialogue during the visting of villages/buildings. It might be fine to make the enemy more powerful and hide in some villages allies to be discovered (and in some might be angry villagers as a surprise instead).
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Diabolic, 1.14.3

Interesting.

Figuring out that those mages are not so scary at night.

-
Attachments
SotA-Carcyn Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
(31.02 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
Thrash

Post by Thrash »

1.14.5, Corrupt (Challenging, 200 gold

Good.

Keeping any sort of formation when leaving the woods.

It's a fine open-field battle.
Attachments
SotA-Carcyn replay.gz
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Seems good. Well, it could be that Carcyn Jr. is lacking discipline or Carcyn Fisher is a bad father

- Tring to keep shadow unit "alive"

- I'd go with that you can zombify enemies with walking corpses, how about you get it that if you zombify lots of humans, Carcyn surrenders and decides to let you do what you want?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

LordWolfDan wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:33 pm it could be that Carcyn Jr. is lacking discipline or Carcyn Fisher is a bad father
Both, probably.
LordWolfDan wrote: December 10th, 2018, 3:33 pm how about you get it that if you zombify lots of humans, Carcyn surrenders and decides to let you do what you want?
On hard, you have to zombify lots of humans just to survive, so that wouldn't work very well. Also, I don't think Carcyn Sr. cares about his citizens as much as he cares about his position.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
jpn

Post by jpn »

1.14, middle difficulty

7. I needed to try three strategies before finding one that worked.

Neutral opinion.

I tend to play with very defensive strategies. There isn't a great place on the map to defend, here, so it requires more thought and quite a bit of unit loss. I used a bunch of ghosts to take villages and spread the enemy forces, and the rest of the troops were skeleton archers to defend against the main wave. I lost a lot of the ghosts and several of the archers. High attrition.

Fun: 7

The map is pretty cool, but by the time I was able to converge on the enemy castle, there was no further challenge. It was just several turns of mop-up. The castle is not especially defensible.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Content Feedback wrote: May 13th, 2017, 10:36 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1) Easy
2) 6
3) Excellent
4) Keeping the ghosts alive (heh) during the daytime.
5) 8
6) None
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Apparos_Vaklas

Post by Apparos_Vaklas »

Diabolic (Difficult) and Version 1.14.16

Very good. Loved the two new loyal units, their character and how Carcyn complained in a later scenario when I ordered him to level up to a thug :lol:

The initial enemy attack wave was a bit hard so I had to restart the scenario and adapt. It's part of what made the scenario fun though.

Maybe more dialogue for the new loyal units in later scenarios