Starting screen.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Woodwizzle

Re: Looks good..

Post by Woodwizzle »

azlan wrote: Maby make the logo blend with the background more.
Just a thought though.

But most games have the logo "in" the titlescreen(like part of it).
I dont know.. And since its not finnish no hard comments.. :)
Yeah, perhaps you could nestle it in the clouds just a little bit.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Added city and a few vegetation, the city hue is could be changed (or I must say should :-) )
This is a 800x600 version. I'll comit tomorrow a 1024x768 and a 800x600 images without the buttons..
Ettin could you send me new title image? paco at arsfortunata dot com , or in a PM.

(EIDT : Image removed to save your bandwitch, no changes from the one bellow, other than dark box and game title)
Last edited by fmunoz on January 22nd, 2004, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Ok, I added the images to the cvs. wesnothstartimage800.png and wesnothstartimage1024.png for more or less size crop or fill with black :-)
The images are not perfect but I got tired .. so better use them than let them stay unused in my harddrive ....
methinks

Re: Starting screen.

Post by methinks »

fmunoz wrote:This is a schetch for the starting screen
Now, your "final" image does not differ much from your sketch. So why don't you leave it for a while, work with something else, and then get back to it?

I see something coming here, but it is a mere start :) Do not give up, give yourself a break. Now, this is just encouragement ;) Keep up the good work.
-Adam
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I didnt give up, just tried to put the images there before I lose focus :-)
With computer graphics schetches and final iamges blend as you could redoo over the starting image... just only matter of worked hours.
I said that this is not the final image, but polishing it will take me 6-8 hours more so... I'll vote for use it as is and improve it later.
I found that some of my sprites done August/September had much less technical skill in them than new ones, no SOL, bad AA, ...so I figured that after a couple of months more working with my (new) tablet I could do a improvements easier.
Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

fmunoz: its possible to animate the hair and the mantle of Konrad?
Or its really hard work?

(its very impressive your style;)
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Khiraly wrote:fmunoz: its possible to animate the hair and the mantle of Konrad?

I must admit I was thinking the same thing but was too afraid to ask :oops:
Keops

Post by Keops »

That title screen artwork is looking sweet. I like it a lot.

On a random note: I finally finished this hard semester, so now I should get some time to dedicate to Wesnoth portraits.

See you.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Looks great! I am very impressed :)

Animating the cloak and hair would certainly be non-trivial, from both an art and coding standpoint, however it would look oh-so-cool. If fmunoz wants to do the artwork, I'd happily do the code.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ammoq

a little proposal

Post by ammoq »

What about puting some lights in the city? It's rather dark, so people would light their fires.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I have added this to CVS, and it looks pretty good. However, some changes are needed:

- just provide the image at 1024x768 in images/misc/title.png -- it will be scaled to other resolutions
- don't tint the rectangle on the image. I will add code to tint the rectangle based on the size needed for the buttons (which can vary with internationalization).
- provide the logo as a seperate image. That way we can display the title screen, and then dissolve in the logo using a cool effect.
- if you want to animate Konrad's cloak and hair, provide the image of Konrad as a seperate image, with a number of frames of animation. (It can just be a still image though)

It should look great by the time we're done!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
jzaun

Animation

Post by jzaun »

It would be nice to have 3 layers to this image. 1 being the bacroung, non-animated. 2 would be background animation (clouds, logo, etc.) and 3 would be the person (hair, cloak, etc.) It would make for a very nice effect.
-- Justin Zaun (jzaun)