Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by thespaceinvader »

Piko555 wrote:I have a strange feeling the head doesn't fit the body. I also think his left hand isn't placed in a correct angle. But anyway, this is great.
I think maybe the neck is a little long.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
alluton

Post by alluton »

Not sure wether neck is too long. The head just feels deattached. Other note: Mby he should be watching towards you. Afterall Delfador is mentoring the player in the campaign.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I think it's because I did not to give the underside of the collar a shape that looks like it's actually wrapped around a neck. Combined with the beard that completely hides the neck region, it must contribute to that feeling that the head is just lying on the flat of the collar.

Anyway, I've been guessing this collar stuff all along so I'm not sure if what I drew would be practical at all in real life. I should take a look at some Renaissance clothing for good reference - I think at one point they had such rigid high collars.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I agree with alluton that he should be looking at the player. Right now it looks like he's mentoring the sidebar. :P
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

vultraz wrote:I agree with alluton that he should be looking at the player. Right now it looks like he's mentoring the sidebar. :P
I think he should look at Konrad, right? :wink:
The portrait is nearly finished, and it looks great, doesn't it?
To make Delfaldor look at the player is really a lot of work.
This would mean LordBob has to draw the head complete new, and I think there is not enough reason for that. :P
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Adamant14 wrote:
vultraz wrote:I agree with alluton that he should be looking at the player. Right now it looks like he's mentoring the sidebar. :P
I think he should look at Konrad, right? :wink:
The portrait is nearly finished, and it looks great, doesn't it?
To make Delfaldor look at the player is really a lot of work.
This would mean LordBob has to draw the head complete new, and I think there is not enough reason for that. :P
He'd have to look up if he wanted to look at Konrad on the map, unless you moved Konrad's portrait to the right of the screen and had Delf looking at that instead.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

vultraz wrote:unless you moved Konrad's portrait to the right of the screen and had Delf looking at that instead.
That's how I understood mentoring. I didn't think Delfador would directly address the player (which doesn't make much sense), but rather that he would enter dialog with Konrad - whose portrait would be displayed on the opposite side of the screen during his own speech time - from which the player happens to gain relevant knowledge about whatever.

Either way, the farthest I'd be willing to go is to change his eyes. Redoing the entire face is a no.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

LordBob wrote:
vultraz wrote:unless you moved Konrad's portrait to the right of the screen and had Delf looking at that instead.
[] but rather that he would enter dialog with Konrad - whose portrait would be displayed on the opposite side of the screen during his own speech time - from which the player happens to gain relevant knowledge about whatever..
Currently, it's on the left, so zookeeper would have to change all his portraits to sit on the right, but I think it would make the dialog more interesting.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
rmj

Post by rmj »

His left hand is ok, but I think the wrist to elbow may be slightly off. Perhaps a little sag in the sleeve would fix that.

I find the vertical line in the forehead a bit too stark; it almost looks like a scar.
rmj
alluton

Post by alluton »

Actually having dialogue where character portraits are displayed at the different sides of the screen sounds great idea.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Strangely, I see nothing wrong with the left arm :hmm:

If anything, the body seems shaded in such way that the front surface looks very flat.
I suspect there might be more shadow on the cloak at the right side of the chest, and maybe just highlight at the left edge of the cloak (if that would make the chest look more curved).

The folds below the girth do not seem like the cloth is pressed against the body as much as I would expect from the tightness of the girth.
Is Delf supposed to be extremely thin or even almost skeletal?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

:hmm: The recesses of the cloack do not necessarily follow the curve of the body, especially since they're being drawn forward by his arms. So, couldn't the portion of his belly that we see can reasonably approximated by a flat surface ?
As for the folds, I wanted the robes to be made with a thick material like wool, which implies folds not so numerous and not necessarily as deep as with lighter cloths. Plus, the girdle isn't necessarily all this tight : considering the life he's had, I imagined him the kind of person who become thinner the older they get. (So no soft belly to push against the cloth at the edges).

But overall, I'll admit there could be a better feel of his body in those clothes. However, I'll try and improve it in future portraits rather than dwell endlessly on this one : that's a lot of time spent on Delf alone, so I'd rather move forward.

And so, Human-clad alternate for Delfador's mentoring portrait.
Attachments
Wesnoth_HttT_delfador_mentoring-study2.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Refined study for Asheviere. Her right hand will be holding a sceptre or wand of sorts.
Attachments
Wesnoth_HttT_asheviere-study2.jpg
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

About Delfaldor:
A great portrait. :)
Only thing, I miss some kind of 'fire' in his eyes.
Something that expresses his strength and iron will. :hmm:
Anybody with me?

About Asheviere:
The pose, and the expression is really cool.
And especially the killing glance. So evil. :twisted:
I like the clothing too, really a cool image. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Wow, that is one grumpy grumptastic face. I almost want to giggle which is probably not the reaction you were hoping for, here. Neck might seem a bit long but I trust LordBob knows what he's doing when it comes to anatomy in this case. It sure helps make her look exactly like an evil dominatrix past her prime, anyways.
How old is Asheviere in the HttT campaign again?

E:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Zerovirus on March 12th, 2013, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.