Alternate Era Version 2

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The Black Sword

Re: Alternate Era Version 2

Post by The Black Sword »

I've put them in a zip file instead, hopefully that will be easier to access.
Hopefully there will be time for a few more test games before the tournament starts.
Attachments
ALT replays.zip
(186.64 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

I did get it to work eventually.

My Feedback:

Well you shouldnt play matches on that old freelands. My version is for sure better balanced. Default has jus a very clear p1 advantage , orcs just rule there.

The Cob test was better, though Undertaker made some errors, but worse you were rather lucky on important moments:)

So both for me not very good evidence.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

played a shortie on howling ghost. this elfish leader is brutally cool. i dont know much about the others yet but seems to me ill play a game or two in the near future.
Attachments
2S_-_Mine_der_heulenden_G..._Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(14.91 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Aside from balancing... Its often possible to find way better sprites (some of them look quite dated :)). For example check out this cool vampire:

This one would make a decent UD leader I would say. If you are interested I can provide some support in sprite discovery process. Also some of the leaders are based on current units (like Elven Lord). Those maybe could eventually receive unique look as well. Such changes could be just a visual replacement (like warlock -> vampire or such), not rly balance related. Well when it comes to sprites there is a lot to choose form in Art Workshop subforum.

As for the era I like the direction of changes.
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Quetzalcoatl wrote:Aside from balancing... Its often possible to find way better sprites (some of them look quite dated :)). For example check out this cool vampire:
That is not a vampire. And here’s a link to the source post; there is some context around it and this post on the previous page of that thread.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Vampire or no, it's awesome looking, and would make a great leader. ;)

Hi guys, just a quick post from the mysterious world of semi-retirement. :P

I had a small bit of free time today, downloaded this era, and played around with it a bit. I really, really love it.

Some small things that I noticed:

The Elvish Legend is quite godly. Maybe a bit too much?

The Orcish Shaman seems a little weak, and -15% defense is kind of awkward. What do you think about -20%? The definition of "hex" that shows up here also says that it doesn't work on "undeads." It should just be "undead," which is already a plural term. That definition may just come from the outer game though- I'm not sure. Either way.... ;)

The Infantry Commander also seems very strong, though I'm not too sure yet.

The "distract" ability says that it doesn't give the equivalent of skirmisher to the leader unit itself, but it actually does.

I'll post more thoughts if I have any more. :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
The Black Sword

What's this, other people posting here? :P

Gallifax: agreed neither is good evidence, but a good sign to go with others I think, hopefully we'll have some more tests soon.

I'm actually rather proud of the image set I have for the leaders at the minute, I think they all look rather cool in one way or another. Part of that is a certain amount of nostalgia for some of them though. Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions for sprite replacement at the minute, though I wouldn't want to change the stats unless someone gave me a good argument that their set of stats is better and the stats should match the sprite. In addition, I want to stick to the 3 leader per faction limit at the moment. This gives a good amount of variety, but it gets hard to add more that are both balanced and not feel a bit like copies of some of the others I think.

Regarding the vampire/demon: I think warlock, skeleton, ghost is a good thematic representation of the undead faction, while a vampire doesn't fit so well. On stuff like images though, I'm open to being overruled by the masses.

I'm going to have another look over the leader set before the tournament, I've been told to nerf my mages too. I'll check the Legend again, though I seem to remember nerfing him a bit before. Perhaps ambush should be taken away, I felt it was a cool and not too useful perk but maybe he has too many of those.

Shaman: you're not the first to mention the 15% being unintuitive, I'll probably change it. It's hard to get a read on how powerful he is without playing him a bit I think, it's such a unique ability, I still need to try him more. Not sure how that Undeads got passed me, I seem to remember a rant about such things in a certain Junkyard :wink: .

Infantry Commander was ok IIRC, though most of the leaders are obviously quite good compared to normal default ones.

I think distract was taken from mainline but I'll check it out.

Nice to see you Doc, glad you're enjoying it. :)
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

EDIT: Posted this In this thread originally, but it should have been in the tournament thread (which it now is). still, will leave this as it is sort of relevant here too...
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

TBS:

Some replay on my latest freelands( corrected an error), its not alternate era. But I am posting it here cause I think its not too bad example as ro why I think Undead do not need that much of help vs Elves. Even though I dont mind that little boost you gave them.

Certainly he made errors, but so did I or lets call ot risky choices. I think the main issue in this game was rather double hitting woses than op woses.

But maybe tell me your opinion on that match,might be totally different after all:)
Attachments
2p_—_The_Freelands_replay_UD_p2__vsElv_p1.gz
(20.42 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
The Black Sword

Yeah, I actually don't think UD need too much help there either. In particular I think putting adepts at a level where they can 4/4 a wose at night might be too much. Woses are very slow and expensive already, it isn't too hard to retreat from them at day and catch them at night. As you said your opponent did make a few mistakes, in particular he seemed very averse to mages even though you were fairly ghost heavy.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

I just noticed this thread; my five years old ALT_Dwarvish_Ruler is horrible, here is a replacement.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Nice! That looks fantastic.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I like them, they are really cool. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
The Black Sword

I don't know, I still prefer the old dwarf.

I've just finished some changes to the leaders on alternate era. I'll release this for the tournament when I've added the khalifate also. Most of the reasoning for the changes comes from a discussion with ps7 about how the magic/marksman leaders were a bit too good, this also made me think about the rounding of attacks when modified by resistances a lot more. Anyhow, here's the changes:

Warlock: 15-2 magic -> 7-4 magic, 10-2 magic -> 9-2 magic
Elf Mage: 10-3 magic -> 9-3 magic
Elf Legend: 8-4 marks -> 10-3 marks, 6-3 slow -> 9-2 slow
Shaman: 8-3 hex(15%), magic -> 5-4, hex(20%), magic, slow (Trying to make the rounding not penalise elves so much)
Orc Slayer: 8-3 marks, poison -> 7-3 marks poison
Elf Lord: 7-3 magic -> 5-3 magic
Troll Warlord: 18-2 fearless -> 19-2
Dwarf: 14-2 hammer -> 13-2
Cleric: 5-2, 6-3 magic -> 6-2, 5-3 magic
Great Drake: 8-2, 5-5 -> 9-2, 6-4 (Better rounding vs UD)
Phantom: 8-5 pierce -> 8-5 blade

And of course, I'm switching back to the default saurians for the tournament.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

two replays for you to analyse. one was ud vs loys, where i saw no major problems. the other was dwarves vs drakes and to be honest, the drake leader seems a bit plain to me in contrast to all the other leaders. is it possible to give him an edge somewhere, somewhat? especiallyi n terms of attacking. its no use having fansastic 5 strikes but the unit sits on 70% and is hit maybe once, maybe twice. or maybe im wrong, you decide.
Attachments
2S_–_Die_Ruinen_der_Sulla_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
su
(14.5 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
2p_—_The_Walls_of_Pyrennis_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
py
(19.03 KiB) Downloaded 331 times