Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Koo

Re: Grnk the Mighty (BfW 1.9/1.10)

Post by Koo »

I found little bug in scenario Shadows. If you put a 4-turn beacon at dusk and when it run out (during day) then we have a 'big fog of night' :)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Koo wrote:I found little bug in scenario Shadows. If you put a 4-turn beacon at dusk and when it run out (during day) then we have a 'big fog of night' :)
Thanks for reporting this. I'll look into it.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

if u can open that file i will continue playing grnk the mighty! its somehow stuck after finishing shadows for reasons i cant describe.
Spoiler:
Attachments
Grnk-Shadows_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
full sh
(68.08 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
Grnk-Shadows_Runde_25.gz
sh
(99.19 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Rigor: Hmm, strange. Every savefile created from your replay file contains a line completion="defeat". If you change that line to completion="running", you can go on and play the respective save. Now, why that is happening ... I have no idea.

The reason why the game was not done when you moved to the cage in the replay: there's still a wolf rider left in the south (you just can't see it because of the nightstalk thing). I've fixed both in the attached file and got you to the point where you only need to move Grnk to the cage. It should then go on to the next scenario.
Rigor wrote:and good joke about the guards. that cost me 5 reloads at the end of the game!
Well, see, originally the scenario did not have a turn limit, so this wouldn't really have mattered. Then some players who are smarter than I figured out that you could (ab)use that to gain unlimited gold and XP. So I added the turn limit, but it screws up things like this. I'm not happy with that either, but haven't spent time to think about a better solution yet.
Rigor wrote:invisible or not, makes no difference and doesnt add to the challenge
The main difference the beacons make (for me, at least) is that they change TOD and therefore the attack damage of the enemy units if you make them attack from inside the beacons.
Attachments
Grnk-Shadows_Turn_25_fixed.gz
(96.54 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Wherever we mentioned Gobolins, Rigor would always appear in all of a sudden :mrgreen:

Anyway, mattsc the Mighty, have you finished the po. files for this campaign? I am supposed to have some time to deal with translation works recently. I think letting our small society to know your funny campaign would be a rather exciting and pleasant thing to do.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

haha :))))))))))))))
Spoiler:
Attachments
Grnk-Disillusion_Runde_31.gz
run as replay t31
(139.19 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Axalara: as far as I know, I have done what I need to and can do, and the po files will, at some point, "magically" appear here. Unfortunately, I don't know when that will be though.

Rigor: on your comments inside the spoiler tag: I'll look into the time limit. You're playing on 'hard' and I do want that to be difficult (actually difficult, not just kind of soso), but if it can only be done by repeated save/loading, that's not good. So, thanks for the feedback. This is not going to happen soon though. I just started working on Fred again today, and Fred has much bigger issues than Grnk. :)

I don't understand what you are trying to say in your last paragraph though. Yes, I am folding 2 (or 3) scenarios into one scenario here, but what's really the difference? If I made them separate scenarios you cannot lose too many of your lvl-2's in the first scenario either, otherwise you won't make it through the next one. So, yes, I am making this a long scenario where things change as you go along -- I got that idea from UtBS, btw, probably my favorite mainline campaign, and I picked it up because my twisted little mind likes it. So you won't be able to convince me to change that. :twisted: And yes, I understand the difference between coming back in with new, healed units etc., but the scenario should be balanced so that this isn't too different from splitting it up into separate scenarios. As in, if I made it separate scenarios, I'd give you less gold or something.

Now having said that, I spent much more time balancing on medium difficulty than on hard, so it's quite possible that things are somewhat off on the latter. So, again, I will have a look into that, but see my comment cc. Fred above.

In the meantime, brace yourself for some turns of events in the next scenario that lots of people don't like either ...

Edit: By the way, I am only saying that I like scenarios that work in that way (story twists, unexpected events etc.). I make no claim that I am any good at setting them up in practice. :) So please keep the comments coming, they all help.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

remember my feedback is not to be taken as a reference, im speaking form my point of view. perhaps 2 more turns wouldnt be too bad or else a good player has to play more risky than he desires or else he wont make it when things go wrong. just upping the difficulty with more enemies makes it necessary that the player can regroup, but driven by the need to complete the tasks this is perhaps a bti too much. anyways we re talking about 2 more turns or something here.

i dont mind nasty surprises, actually i like thoses elements in your game the most :lol2: :lol2: but let me finish the task mentioned above first, when i feel like replaying
Spoiler:
the current game.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Rigor: yeah, I know, but for some reason I always feel compelled to tell people where I'm coming from rather than simply saying "it's that way because I decree it to be that way". :) But in any case, I do take the personal points of view of those who take the time to comment here seriously and into account, even if I don't implement them in the end.

As for the scenario, I'll add 2 turns to the limit in the next release. Sounds good to me given that the turn limit is not supposed to be the main obstacle in this scenario (and that I don't want to replay and rebalance the entire campaign right now).
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Got the po file :wink:
Our wolves would have meat tonight.

P.S. Rigor is a Gobo Fanatic :mrgreen:
emeraldgorilla

Post by emeraldgorilla »

I'm liking this campaign a lot! Grnk seeing snippets of the future reminds me of Red Dwarf's "Future Echos," and "use the prunes, Grnk!" really made me smile.

But I think I've run into a bug in the prunes scenario when the orc Vanak (sp?) appears. Actually, he doesn't appear and that's the problem. Grnk is obviously talking to him, but Vanak's dialog is never shown. When the dialog is finished, there is no Vanak unit anywhere on the map. There is a camp where Grnk can recruit orcs (and even recall them) and the scenario plays out normally*, but in the end I can't get Vanak to the signpost because he's not there.

* I thought there was something odd about the prunes: twice the prunes affected a different unit than I intended. Was this because Grnk is still learning to use magic?

Wesnoth version: 1.10.6
Grnk the Mighty version: 1.0.7
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

emeraldgorilla wrote:I'm liking this campaign a lot! Grnk seeing snippets of the future reminds me of Red Dwarf's "Future Echos," and "use the prunes, Grnk!" really made me smile.
Thanks! :) Similarities with Red Dwarf are coincidental because I've only ever watched a few episodes of it, but I have to admit that that part was somewhat inspired by an episode of Farscape (the overall idea, not the details). And while I do not want to give away anything cc. Grnk Part 2, I promise that it with not end with somebody saying "Grnk, I am your father." :D
emeraldgorilla wrote:But I think I've run into a bug in the prunes scenario when the orc Vanak (sp?) appears. Actually, he doesn't appear and that's the problem. Grnk is obviously talking to him, but Vanak's dialog is never shown. When the dialog is finished, there is no Vanak unit anywhere on the map. There is a camp where Grnk can recruit orcs (and even recall them) and the scenario plays out normally*, but in the end I can't get Vanak to the signpost because he's not there.
Hmm, that doesn't sound good. Could you post a start-of-scenario save and I'll look into it.
emeraldgorilla wrote:* I thought there was something odd about the prunes: twice the prunes affected a different unit than I intended. Was this because Grnk is still learning to use magic?
The prunes can affect any unit within a 2-hex radius. If there are several within 2 hexes, a random unit is chosen. So if you want to be certain that they affect a specific unit, you need to make sure that that one's the only enemy unit within 2 hexes of Grnk. If you observe something else, please (again) send me a savefile and I'll look into it. But yes, the story-line reasoning for this is that Grnk really doesn't know what he is doing yet. He will get better with this in Part 2.
emeraldgorilla

Post by emeraldgorilla »

mattsc wrote: Hmm, that doesn't sound good. Could you post a start-of-scenario save and I'll look into it.
Ok, here it is. And thanks explaining how the prunes work - it looks like they're working as intended.

Not to rush you or anything, but I'm already looking forward to part 2! You don't have any kind of ETA on that do you?
Attachments
Grnk-Prunes-Auto-Save1.gz
auto-save from turn 1 of the prunes scenario
(91.25 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Thanks. Vanak is indeed missing from the save for some reason. As a quick fix, I have inserted him into the file attached below, so that you can at least play on from here. But I'd like to figure out what caused this, so that I can fix it in the code; and depending on what it was, you might get more problems in the next scenario as well. A couple questions for that:
1. Did you play S7 (Disillusion) normally all the way through or did you use debug mode for any of it? No problem if you did, I do that all the time :) , but sometimes it means that an event doesn't fire.
2. Did Vanak appear in S9 (Chaos) and say the same line he does here (when he appears on Turn 4)?
Those are the last two times he was (or might have been) present in a scenario and I want to figure out if one of the events storing him or changing his side did not work. Thanks!

Unfortunately I have no idea when Part 2 will come out. It's about half done, but I haven't worked on it at all in a long time. Too many other things going on ... :(

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Attachments
Grnk-Prunes-Auto-Save1_fixed.gz
Vanak inserted into save
(92.62 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
emeraldgorilla

Post by emeraldgorilla »

mattsc wrote:1. Did you play S7 (Disillusion) normally all the way through or did you use debug mode for any of it? No problem if you did, I do that all the time :) , but sometimes it means that an event doesn't fire.
I played normally, but I think that event did not fire.
Spoiler:
I've attached a replay, but I noticed that it is corrupt ("wml errors" are reported then later it gets out of sync). So I don't know how helpful it will be. I didn't notice anything wrong while playing.
mattsc wrote:2. Did Vanak appear in S9 (Chaos) and say the same line he does here (when he appears on Turn 4)?
Yes. Kind of. Just as in Prunes, there was a conversation between Grnk and Vanak, but I only saw Grnk's part of it.

I've attached a replay of this too, in case it helps. I didn't watch it all the way through so I don't know if it is corrupted. But like the other replay, it reports "wml errors" at the beginning.
mattsc wrote:Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Thanks!
Attachments
Grnk-Chaos_replay.gz
Chaos replay. Wml errors. Grnk speaks to Vanak, but only Grnk's part of the conversation is shown.
(81.2 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Grnk-Disillusion_replay.gz
Disillusion replay. Wml errors, file plays but is corrupt.
(105.42 KiB) Downloaded 218 times