Grnk the Mighty: Parts 1 & 2 now on 1.12 and 1.14 server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattsc
Inactive Developer

Re: Grnk the Mighty (BfW 1.9/1.10)

Post by mattsc »

Koo: You mean you just went east with Grnk and one other unit and kept the rest in the west? Interesting... No, that's not what I had in mind. I'm playing it by taking all units through the valley, which makes it quite a bit harder than that, I think.

I'm always amazed by what inventive players come up with that I didn't think about. :) Which is great. I believe that you can keep going from here, and that it won't make a significant difference for the next scenarios. But I'll still have to come up with a way of making that impossible in future versions. :twisted:
Koo

Post by Koo »

So, I'm send Rutburt with them too, but he has not been used. I'm send a Bandit also, but he is too slow (5MP only), so this unit was waste by me :(.

Actually it is possible to send only two units through valley. The rest can easily defeat the blue AI.

In replay look mainly at Grnk and Trapper :)
Probability of win (assuming killing of Trapper by Spearman and Swordsman) is 87.5% :)

--------------------

About scenario 4 (Mercenaries):
Spoiler:
Attachments
Grnk-Treasure_powtórka.gz
(44.47 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Koo: thanks for posting the replay. Yeah, that's what I thought you were doing and not what I had in mind when setting up the scenario. But, more power to you for figuring out that way of doing it. (My one comment is that you do rely on luck for this to work, even though the chance to lose is only 12.5%, whereas the way how I set up the scenario is so that that isn't necessary; or at least shouldn't be - I haven't tested that scenario in a while).

As for your question in spoiler tags, rest assured that I would not set up the campaign so that later scenarios become impossible if you use it here. You can play it one way or the other, and it's left up to your judgement whether you want to use it now or possibly reserve it for later. In fact
Spoiler:
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

I have been abusing poison, which is really a funny stuff.
Anyway, if I could still yield some time recently, I guess I would prefer to give a real enjoy on it. Just one question left: where did you get such a strange sense of humor?? :lol2:
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

He's Canadian.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

He's Canadian.
:hmm:
sorry, I don't quite understand. Many canadians do not make such good wesnoth jokes like that.

Anyway, mattsc. I stuck at scenerio 3 and I might need a replay as instruction (not necessary, but I don't have time at it). Next week will have the funky finals, but I still want to know the "real answer" before it without spending many hours on games.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Don't mind me. I'm Australian.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

UnwiseOwl: :)
AxalaraFlame wrote:
He's Canadian.
sorry, I don't quite understand. Many canadians do not make such good wesnoth jokes like that.
That's because most Canadians, like most people everywhere, but unlike me, are actually nice people. :twisted: (And as a side note, while I live in Canada, I'm not originally Canadian.)
AxalaraFlame wrote:Anyway, mattsc. I stuck at scenerio 3 and I might need a replay as instruction (not necessary, but I don't have time at it). Next week will have the funky finals, but I still want to know the "real answer" before it without spending many hours on games.
I'll see what I can do, but I am leaving on a week-long trip on Friday morning and don't know if I'll have time for it before then.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Only mad geeks have such a strange obsession with gobos+gobo based games and funky-styled campaign plots...gotcha :mrgreen:
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I live near the Canadian border, and let me just say- Canadians are way nicer than Americans- well except when they are driving :lol2: Plus they are funny, if you like Jim Carrey, The Kids in the Hall, and Don Cherry :P Edit: and John Candy. And Peter Jennings. And Zap Rowsdower.

Anyhow, at mattsc:
Spoiler:
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Crow_T wrote: Anyhow, at mattsc:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Edit: Axalara, here's a replay of how I meant Scenario 3 to be played. I didn't play some parts of it very well as I was rushing though it, but managed to hold on at the end. BfW 1.10.5. Grnk 1.0.7 on hard.
Attachments
Grnk-Treasure_replay_hard.gz
(55.53 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

heh, matt u little cheatah. you require a priori knowledge in order to make such a bold move:

Figure: Grnk can only be killed with a 99,9% ctk.

i couldnt see there was a path here because mostly all was inpassable. perhaps a destroyed road that ends in the left and starts in the right would make it more visible...

i helped myself by this risky little maneuver...purple was already attacking me but i had the corridor.

i said i HAD. now it got even more risky due to the precondition of killing that spearman.

not too surprisingly, all my troops got a proper beating and i had to savereload because i wouldnt have done it otherwise. it was simply TOO EXTREMELY HARD :D (without knowing about the exact guards behaviour)

ok turn 17/30 im amazing. i made it and am going home...

...until i saw this little detail in my victory conditions...

fight, my little unexperienced, protected from the outside world neverdogood!

no, not all of you, just to get this godforsaken lvl1! argh, leave me alone!

jeez...was entertaining to play a game where u dont knwo yet u will be the winner.
in my first attempt i made the following mistake: i didnt know about "the plan" to get grnk into the treasury and was well out of place with him when i should have been there already. i was winning against outlaws, but oh wonder, i had to stop the game because i realized the plan around turn 20/30.

in my second attempt it was this game that you see but i had to savereload because of not knowing that purple wont attack grnk while he stands next to them. i had to savereload one more time at the very end of the scenario where i was hoping i would get 2xp from being attacked and thus lvl up. it failed once of course.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Rigor wrote:heh, matt u little cheatah.
Hey, Rigor. That's a compliment, right? :D
Rigor wrote:you require a priori knowledge in order to make such a bold move:
Rigor wrote:in my second attempt it was this game that you see but i had to savereload because of not knowing that purple wont attack grnk while he stands next to them.
How about what Rutburt tells you when you enter the valley (see below)? I'd say he's giving you exactly that information. Well, maybe I should add "and not attack", that's true. Sorry, I never thought of that not being the same thing. :doh: The other information you need is in the dialog as well. But you have to read the instructions very carefully -- and I hate when a scenario makes me do that. (I'm serious about that last statement, just for once).

I've stated way back in this thread that this is the scenario I like least in Grnk, specifically for the reason that it is so "orchestrated". At some point, when I am done with everything else, I will come back and rework it. Unfortunately, what I want to do is not a trivial change (I know it's hard to believe, but I've done a lot of quick fixes already and this version is significantly de-Rigor-ized compared to what I had originally), so who knows when I'll get to it. Maybe I should take a step back from the AIs for a couple weeks and make some much needed changes to Grnk. There are lots of other things I want to do in other scenarios as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
Attachments
guards.jpg
Oleksa

Post by Oleksa »

Hi, I was playing in your company, and I liked it very much. This is one of the best companies I've played. Thank you. Not any bugs I did not have. Only the last mission was very difficult, you should remove constantly appearing undead from the southwest.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Oleksa wrote:Hi, I was playing in your company, and I liked it very much. This is one of the best companies I've played. Thank you. Not any bugs I did not have. Only the last mission was very difficult, you should remove constantly appearing undead from the southwest.
Oleksa: Thank you, much appreciated !

As for the last scenario, well, it's the last one so I want it to be hard. But I want to go over the campaign again, make lots of little and a few big changes, and rebalance some things. I'll keep your comment in mind and see if I feel that something needs to be done here. I'll likely not remove the undead altogether though (they are required for the story; those are the undead from the previous scenario), but maybe I'll make them show up later, or more slowly.

Thanks again. :)