Scenario Review: DW 5 - Tirigaz

Feedback for the mainline campaign Dead Water.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario Review: DW 5 - Tirigaz

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario Review: DW 5 - Tirigaz

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Difficult (nightmare); 1.9.0

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Okay.

Need to respect strength of Undead at night.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's always fun when there's a 3-way. Maybe make it so the undead and orcs can come into conflict.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
I did lose a couple of times, being over ambitious. Restarted from turn 1.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Most excellent.

Usually I attach a replay, but it comes up as corrupt.
alda

Post by alda »

difficult, 1.9.0

3, though difficulty can depend on your recall list. I had my lvl 3 leader with the trident, 3 priestess, 2 slowers (a lvl 2 and a lvl 3), a lvl 2 drake and some lvl 1 meat, so this wasn't terribly difficult, I just lost 1 unit.

clear

average

well, just kill the ghosts and then assassinate the orc leader, nothing really difficult here.

About the bonus objective, maybe make the orc leader a bit more defended. As it is, it is just so easy to come and assassinate him.

nope

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

Normal 1.9.3 (226 gold)

6 if you just want to (re)kill the undead, 8 if you want to kill the orcs

Quite clear

I don't understand why the orc doesn't just attack the merfolk. At the beginning of the campaign it says that the orcs from Tirigaz were attacking the merfolk a whole lot of times but now he's willing to let them stay on his land for a few hours? I guess It's a different sovereign. :hmm:

There weren't really any (I didn't attack the orcs)

Can't think of anything...

Lost Cylanna once and restarted the scenario

"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
dsa

Post by dsa »

Difficult, 1.9.3

4, with two diviners I had no problems to deal with the ghosts and could even afford it to attack during nighttime. Killing the orcish leader is no problem either as you just have to sneak up to him and kill him in one or two turns.

Clear

I was surprised, that the orcs were neutral and allowed the mermen to stay, although the mermen attacked the orcs before. I could just guess, that this is a different orcish tribe, which didn't know or care about the attack.

By the way, I noticed an unexpected behavior regarding the truce: When I moved an unit next to the orcish archer near the water, he attacked my unit (my unit damaged him also during defending), but there was no statement about it and the leader didn't turn hostile. However when I attacked and killed the archer, he became hostile and made a corresponding statement.

None.

7, a break from the exhausting scenario before.

Don't know anything concrete how it can be done, but it should be harder to kill the orc.

I reloaded, when I moved onto a bridge by mistake and alerted the orcs too early.
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

Normal
2. I ended up just making a moving ball of troops with a bit of a tail, initially surrounding priestesses. Said moving ball proceeded to cut through the undead extremely easily, with minimal tactics required, followed by an orc which doesn't even attack you. Even if you were to attack the orcs at the beginning, it would be extremely easy, particularly relative to other levels of Deadwater (most notably 1, 2, and 4, none of which have any business being more difficult.)
Crystal.
It was all clear, and the use of the undertone and snark filled comments about the dock leadership contributed significantly to the quality.
There weren't any major challenges.
4, and it only makes that due to the great dialog. Its a shame, given that Deadwater is an incredible campaign overall.
If the player decides to attack the orcs after dealing with the undead, the orcs immediately go on the offensive.
No, nor was there any troop loss.
podbelski

Post by podbelski »

1.9.8, top difficulty, no reloads

probably "5". With strong recalls and water advantage I finished off the undead quite easily, then assasinated the orc leader. No losses on my 2nd attempt. No replay as it is corrupted.

clear

good

not letting a single veteran die

well... "6". Like the map appearance/storyline suggests more fun than there actually is.

good as is, but I think something could be done. Can't come up with a concrete proposal

restarted to win w/o losing a unit
taptap

Post by taptap »

Warrior (Challenging), 1.9.9

Recalled siren, priestess, about to level initiate, entangler, netcaster and spearman - and couldn't even recruit all of the initiate / hunter line levelled units I have. Didn't attack the orc, my father was too ambitious in attacking them after all.

Very clear.

Good.

None. (As usual economy = not wasting money.)

7 (It is fun to cut through those ghosts that made me flee in the second scenario, it would be more fun if they would not attack me in broad daylight.)

Make the ghost army maneuvre to hit you first at night or dusk = retreat during the day, put 1-2 level1 ghosts in the way to slow me down. In the game they moved in slow motion in the night and attacked me at dawn. The scary potential of the shadows wasn't used as well. They are not so scary as frontline unit in daytime. I got a netcaster and spearman heavily damaged by the first wave, but no losses, when it was night again only a single wraith was left.

No.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

• 1) Level, Version? Normal (193/120 gold pieces); 1.9.7
    2) Difficulty? 4 Not so hard on this difficulty level.
    3) Scenario Objectives? Clear.
    4) Dialogue and story? Good.
    5) Challenges? Fight a ghosts provide a challenge. Killing orcish leader is just a boost my treasure quest, but really nice.
    6) Is it fun? 8
    7) Make it more fun? No changes are needed.
    8) Reload or restart? None.
    9) WML? Well commented.
    10) Replay? Attached.
Attachments
DW-Tirigaz_NL.gz
(30.35 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Normal 1.10.2
Difficult:7
Objectiives: 100% clear
Diologue: I was a little shakey about how long i had before the orcs attacked. They said 1 hour, but it takes a turn to recruit, and another to actually swim out into the water.
Challenges:
Fun: 6
Changes: It was just weird, it seemed like there was little use for strategy if you chose not to fight the orcs, you just plunge into a brawl and come out the other side. So maybe i'd add in some factor to change things up.
Reloads: none
Fate is against me.
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

Normal, 1.10.5

4, The undead didn't do much damage.

Clear and well explained.

Somehow strange that orcs grant mermen a save place - even for one turn.

Getting the right units levelled or near a level-up.

6, nothing too special

It's good the way it is. Only the dialogue might need some tweaking to be done.

Nope.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

D-Wade wrote:Somehow strange that orcs grant mermen a save place - even for one turn.
These are the same orcs that just got soundly defeated by Krellis's father. They're not in a hurry to repeat that battle.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

1.10.5 - Triton - (Nightmare) - No save/load - 178 starting gold

The objectives were clear, the designer did a good job on clarifying the rules.

The dialog was fine but the storyline was a bit questionable. The orc should recognize that he is vulnerable and recruit some bodyguards.

Don't let the level 3 nightgaunts backstab me, farm some EXP, finish quickly.

5. I was too powerful for the undead and the orc didn't do anything, I simply came in by water and assassinated him. But it was short.

a) Can the undead AI be improved at all? They get baited into attacking at dawn and consequently they are pretty weak. They have slow movement over water though, so it may be hard to fix it.

b) The orc should recruit troops and keep them in a defensive posture until the player attacks. It's kind of lame to swim right into his castle and assassinate him.

Never reloaded, one restart when I did something stupid and got backstabbed to death.
Attachments
DW-Tirigaz_replay.gz
1.10.5, Nightmare, no save/load
(33.7 KiB) Downloaded 739 times
flammstrudel

Post by flammstrudel »

1.10.2 Triton (difficult) – no reloads

5/10 I accidentally attacked the southern orc archer on his tower so the boss started recruiting before I could assassinate him 5 turns later. This way it's a bit harder, if you sneak up on him it's more a 2/10.

Clear.

The orc chief being so friendly – that's a bit odd. But I don't really mind.

Feeding the kills to the right units, not losing any. No major challenges.

6/10

The orc leader should recruit from the beginning.

I lost my king during the final attack on the orcs. The probability of this event was around 1,5%: I raged hard and took a one-week wesnoth break.
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Level, version, and gold? Nightmare, 1.11.15, 215 starting gold (irrelevant.)
(2) Difficult? (1-10) 5.
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Keshan almost got taken down by two Spectres, and I exposed my Siren to too many attacks, but she survived.
(6) Fun? (1-10) 6.
(7) Changes? I will suggest a few changes that I think would really improve this scenario:

1. Consider extending the map southwards. It can just be an extension of the coastline down. Having a board edge to protect one flank makes it too easy to defend against the undead. I know some reviewers said they were able to just hedgehog right through the undead, but at least on Nightmare that would be hazardous.

2. Consider putting a chain, or a series of chains, across the bay entrance. Make the orcs attack if you cross that line. Right now, you can amass near his stronghold and then assassinate him - and it seems unlikely that he would be so foolish. I guess it would also suffice if you just move his stronghold back, away from the coast.

3. This one I'm less sure about, but based on feedback above, maybe break the undead into two teams: ghosts (more of them) and the rest. Have the ghosts be aggressive at daytime and set the rest to be cowardly by day. I don't know if you can get the desired effect of the ghosts shielding the rest by day, though. If it does work, then it would be amusing to have a Lich or something on a pinnacle (one hex island, maybe a village), shouting orders at daybreak and nightfall, "Fire team alpha, retreat! Fire team bravo, fix bayonets and charge!" And of course if you kill that commander, then they could cease to have that behavior. Another way to maybe get the desired behavior would be to tell the non-ghosts to "move to" a certain location during the day - like around their stationary commander.

(8) Restarts? None. No save-reloads.
Attachments
DW-Tirigaz_replay.gz
(43.04 KiB) Downloaded 790 times