Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: A-Red's sprite art (Sorrow, etc)

Post by thespaceinvader »

They all look a little like they're bursting for a pee... It's the knees-together, heels-out crouch...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I was aiming for poor motor coordination/lack of grace, but how do you know they *don't* have to pee? The undead overlords never give them bathroom breaks.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

:lol2:

Nice. Perhaps if you made a slight space in between the legs so that it was clear that the corpse lacked the motor skills to keep his knees straight, but got rid of the clenched leg look.

This would explain why they are always shuffling and moaning. Keeping the legs clenched to keep it in and so much pressure keeps them from talking properly.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Here's a small update for the pose. I'm not convinced I like them better this way--the first pose felt more dynamic to me, and this one feels stiffer. The female one didn't need a change either way, with her legs hidden by the skirt.

ImageImageImage

Also, an update on the wight:
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

That wight thing is really cool! :D
Check out my sprites!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The eyes on the wight are very indistinct, perhaps a different color or slightly larger?

The pose does seem less dynamic, but it also does not convey that sense of clenched legs.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I redesigned the Thrall. Better with rust or without? Or is there a better way to try applying the rust?

ImageImage

It was good to start spriting with something familiar, but I thought it would be best not to use Bungie's unit concept, even though the sprites are entirely mine and the game mechanics are completely different. I figured the Wight would be good enough with the relatively small change I made (and a change of name--I'm thinking Grub?), and I think the Thrall is definitely different enough now.

I'd like to redesign the Winnower/Soulless as well, but I'm not sure where to go with it. Suggestions welcome (as are C&C, as always). This is the unit I'm talking about:

Max

Post by Max »

just in case you've missed this thread - it's got a really nice base frame for a Thrall...
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Here's the full lineup (except winnower) with shadows, as well as some other minor tweaks for most of them.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I just can't stop saying how cool the Wight is, lol. xD But it really is so cool. :)
Check out my sprites!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I'm glad you like the Wight :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A-Red wrote:I redesigned the Thrall. Better with rust or without? Or is there a better way to try applying the rust?
I really cannot even tell that it is rust, and would not have known so if you had not mentioned it. Another big issue is that it is hard to tell that it is a metal that could be rusted, so I would have just taken it as hair.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Turuk wrote: I really cannot even tell that it is rust, and would not have known so if you had not mentioned it. Another big issue is that it is hard to tell that it is a metal that could be rusted, so I would have just taken it as hair.
Ah. Well, that certainly is a problem. Any pointers on how to make chain mail not look like hair? I detailed the link texture as more or less horizontal rather than vertical, and used the same colors used for metal on most sprites in this game. I'm not sure what else to do at this size. I can see how the rust flecks are confusing the details--but you mean the one without rust too?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Right, both are a bit hard to tell as chainmail. To be honest, I am not sure how to pull it off convincingly given that you have so little space to work with when spriting, and so I will defer to any of the artists who may know a possible way to do it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

For the chain, I would make the link pixels (as opposed to the gap pixels) have more contrast. Mostly darker, with a few brighter near the top right. But not bright at the very edge.

I tried to make the winged figure at the top row have chain on her lower half: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/download/file.php?id=31000
Not sure how convincing it is, but a lot of the sprite chain mail floating around looks like wool or something. Higher contrast on the chain links should help avoid that.