Elves of Fear & Night

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
LemonTea

Re: Elves of Fear & Night

Post by LemonTea »

turin wrote:It's easy to make an elf faction - just take one dominant characteristic (woods! ice! dark! blood! cheese!)
Santa's? :hmm:
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

No, no--Everyone knows that Santa's Elves are bad little boys and girls who already have a record.

@Turin: "Bat-tea? Bat-milk? Bat-coffee? Bat-cream? Bat-juice?" ;)
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Skizzaltix wrote: @Turin: "Bat-tea?
Batty? Turin's not insane :augh: (I hope)
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

AI wrote:My interpretation is that while humans adapt through tools and a flexible mind, elves adapt in a more physical way.
I'd think that this would apply more to "fae". Like, Sea-Fae, Blood-Fae, Sky-Fae. In the idea of Fae being connected in a way to their environment.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Rimbecano

Post by Rimbecano »

Akkarin345 wrote:Some of the variations are Elves that lived in a enviroment and have become adapt to it, Ice Elves ( or in Orbivm the Issalefr ) live in cold icy conditions and that is how they got their name. I would like to see though that although they may be known as the Water Elves, or something like that ( i so want to see Cheese Elves :P ), that they are given a differnet name that xyz Elves. For example from Orbivm again :

Ice Elves - Issaelfr
Wild Elves ( i think ) - Sidhe
Problem with "Issaelfr" is that it is derived from the same Germanic roots as "Ice elves" in English. "Iss-aelf-r," vs. "Ice elv-es."

Although I'm having trouble identifying which Germanic language "Issaelfr" was taken from. Old Norse would have been álfr for the singular "elf," and álfar for the plural "elves." Old English would have been ælf for the singular, and ælfas for the plural.
"Reading files and creating cache"

Creating cache? Isn't counterfeiting illegal... :P
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

My point is that it is better than calling them, for example, Ice Elves. In the Wesnoth world i am sure races would not like to be called blood elf for example. Hi blood elf, would not sound better if it was hi then their name. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Sorry missed a response
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Akkarin345 wrote:Some of the variations are Elves that lived in a enviroment and have become adapt to it, Ice Elves ( or in Orbivm the Issalefr ) live in cold icy conditions and that is how they got their name. I would like to see though that although they may be known as the Water Elves, or something like that ( i so want to see Cheese Elves :P ), that they are given a differnet name that xyz Elves. For example from Orbivm again :

Ice Elves - Issaelfr
Wild Elves ( i think ) - Sidhe
Interesting thing is, humans are supposed to be the adaptable race, not elves. We should honestly be doing this with humans, if anyone.

Well we do show humans as the adaptable race. I think the point is more that you don't see many ideas for Ice Humans, Sky Humans or Blood Humans. Most people who want to create a faction seem to jump onto Elves and not remember that in the world there are ( so far in mainline ) Orcs, Nagas, Goblins, Trolls, Drakes, Saurains, Mermen, Elves, Woses, Humans, Undead, Monsters etc

Why can't we have some new goblin factions?
I think the smaller factions could do with more exploration. For example over all the add o campaigns / eras / mainline i can only remember seeing 5 wose units.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Actually, Saurians are rather popular for newbie faction makers. I can think of at least four either "perpetually in-development" or "now defunct" Saurian factions right off the top of my head... One of which was made by yours truly (And I'm currently in the process of wrangling another faction of my own away from being so damn similar to the Saurians, so there you go).
I'd like to see a few more Naga around ;)

@Rimbecano: I had assumed it was a corruption of the Old Norse, but I guess it's a mash-up of Old Norse and Old English...
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Dudes, I got this--expect "The Superfluous Elves Era" sometime--will include
mer elves
sky elves
cave elves
dwarf elves
dinosaur-riding elves
red elves
elf-mon
tell me if I'm forgetting any
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Thrawn wrote:tell me if I'm forgetting any
Pokéelves? :lol2:
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

Swamp elves.
vivantlingvaemortvae
JW

Post by JW »

grape elves
monkey elves
crazy elves
pirate elves
ninja elves
opera elves
war elves
primitive elves
mech elves
half elves
hairy elves
albino elves
non elves
chuck norris elves
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ah, JW, you made a typo.

Chuck Norris ELF.

There is only a need for one in order to win. :P
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

And don't forget the ninja-pirate-robot elves!
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Thrawn wrote: dinosaur-riding elves
Can't have dinoz0rz without laz0rz.

I still want Santa's elves as a faction though though :lol2:
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

How about...

UNDEAD ELVES?

Because Undead just own.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.