Lunar Alliance

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Melon

Lunar Alliance

Post by Melon »

Faction background:
Long ago, the Moon was a prosperous place covered in tall forests and vast blue seas. Its natives, the Lunarians, where an intelligent and powerful race, surpassing their Earthborn neighbors in both their knowledge of magic and technology. However, they where also a warmongering people and believed that the only true way to prove your worth is through battle and conquest. With time the Lunarians have ether enslaved or annihilated all of the other Moonborn races, however their wars left a great mark on their tiny planets fragile ecosystem. The surface of their homeworld was scorched, leaving behind no traces of life, water or breathable air. The survivors fled deep below the planets surface where a new invasion plan was being forged...

Lunar Alliance
Lunarians:
An ancient humanoid race native to the Moon. Lunarians have rabbit-like ears and tails, white hair, dark skin and bright blue eyes. They are a race of warriors with no goals truer then conquest. After the devastation of their homeworld the Lunarians discovered that they could invade their neighboring planet through a series of portals. All Lunarian units are equipped with deflector shields, which will activate once a turn to greatly increase their resistance. Lunarians have very good defense in towns and castles but have little in terms of special bonuses on other terrain types. They are equally adapted to fighting in both light and darkness.

Moongazers:
A nomadic race of bipedal rodents who worship the moon. During the first stages of the lunar invasion the Moongazers joined ranks with the Lunarians, proclaiming them to be their gods. Moongazers are elusive and good on many different terrains. They are somewhat resistant to arcane damage. All Moongazers are chaotic.

Firebirds:
Birds with a heart of fire. They are a sacred animal to the Moongazers, since their rebirth is believed to be symbolic to the "rebirth" of the moon. They will absorb fire damage, but are very weak to cold. Firebirds are lawful.

Faction Overview
The Lunarian alliance will be a bit of an odd faction to play since it introduces a new game mechanic. The initial choice of units is quite small, since you may only hire Moongazers and Moongates. The Moongazers themselves make for poor fighters and are intended to be used as utility units rather then warriors. Moongates are expensive, may not move or attack and will die instantly if hit. However Moongates will gain 1 point of experience every turn and once they have enough they will "promote" into a Lunarian unit of your choice.

Units
Moongazer Cultist (Level 1):
A cheap fighter who can deal low impact damage with his fists.
Moongazer Initiate (Cultist Level 2):
Counter attacks will have at least a 60% hit chance. If the unit remains idle for a turn, its meditation ability will restore it 4 HP and grant it an additional XP point.
Moongazer Fanatic (Cultist Level 2):
Gains the "berserk" ability.
Moongazer Monk (Initiate Level 3):
All attacks will have at least a 60% hit chance. Meditation will now restore 8 hp and grant 2 XP per turn.
Moongazer Zealot (Fanatic Level 3):
A stronger version of the Fanatic.
Moongazer Master (Monk Level 4):
All attacks have at least a 70% hit chance. Grants 2 XP to all surrounding units every turn.

Moongazer Acolyte (Level 1):
A cheap healer with access to an arcane magical attack. She is incapable of entering melee combat. The power of her magical attacks depends on how much hit points her foe has left.
Moongazer Priestess (Acolyte Level 2):
Gains a weak melee attack.
Moongazer Empath (Acolyte Level 2):
The Empaths are capable of inspiring both valor and terror in the hearts of both their friends and foes.
Moongazer High Priestess (Priestess Level 3):
A generally stronger version of the Priestess.

Firebird (Level 1):
A good but somewhat expensive scout. Firebirds will deal fire damage in both range and melee. If slain a Firebird will crumble into ashes and unless its remains are attacked it will come back to life at full health the next turn.
Phoenix (Firebird Level 2):
A generally stronger version of the Firebird

Moongate (Level 1):
A gate to the lunar underworld. It will take several turns before the bond between the planets becomes strong enough for a unit to pass through. Moongates may not move or attack and will fade away instantly if hit by a foe.

Lunarian Invader (Level 2):
A powerful footsoldier equipped with a pair of enchanted blades that will drain any foes he strikes. He is best suited for melee battle.
Lunarian Seeker (Lunarian Invader Level 3):
The Seeker will enter a berserk rage if forced into battle.
Lunarian Stalker (Lunarian Invader Level 3):
The Stalker is a faster, permanently invisible version of the Invader who ignores enemy zones of control. His defense is greatly improved on all terrains and all of his attacks will backstab his foes. In return he sacrifices his draining ability.

Lunarian Gunner (Level 2):
A ranged unit capable of firing beams of pure energy to deal high amounts of piercing damage. She may also deal blade damage with her bayonet if forced into a melee skirmish.
Lunarian Soulhunter (Lunarian Gunner Level 3):
The Soulhunter gains an additional point of ranged damage for every life she takes.
Lunarian Assassin (Lunarian Gunner Level 3):
The Lunarian Assassin is equipped with a gun that fires corrosive goo, capable of simultaneously slowing and poisoning any target it hits. Her melee damage doubles when she flanks her foes.

Lunarian Sorcerer (Level 2):
The high amounts of raw magical energy flowing through the veins of a Sorcerer force them into bandaging their entire bodies in an effort to slow their bloodflow. They are physically [censored], nearly undead. The Sorcerers are incapable of entering melee combat, poor at dodging attacks and are very slow on the battlefield. They make up for their disabilities with their vast arsinal of powerful ranged magical attacks. The Sorcerers can take control of damaged, low level units (The success rate for this ability is calculated as follows: (100-Enemy hp/Max enemy hp*100)*(Enemy defense/100) and invoke insanity in the minds of their foes (An insane unit is considered a berserker until the end of the round expires). As the power of the Sorcerer grows, they will ether construct a cybernetic shell to harbor their weak bodies or collapse into a spiritual, demigod-like entity.
Avatar (Lunarian Sorcerer Level 3):
The Avatar is a Sorcerer that has archived transcendence to Demigodhood. This promotion branch vastly improves the Sorcerers damage. Sorcerers that have achieved the status of Avatars are capable of slowing down the flow of time in all adjacent hexes. All units caught in the time rift are considered slowed as long as they remain in the Avatar's zone of control. Movement costs through the adjacent hexes are doubled.
Thinker (Lunarian Sorcerer Level 3):
The Thinkers submerge their frail bodies in tanks of regenerative embalming fluid, where they ponder the great mysteries of the universe. They grant all surrounding units 4xp per turn and gain an additional strike to their mental domination ability. The drawback is that they become completly incapable of moving about.
Deity (Avatar Level 4):
A generally stronger version of the Avatar. Has access to many abilities.

Additional Information:
The faction is still in its early planning stages and nothing you see here is final. This thread is an interest check to see if anyone actually wants to see this faction come to life. At this point I accept suggestions and ideas of all kinds. If anyone wants me to make this faction specific to their era or campaign, please post in the thread and I'll try to work out a deal.

Want to help?
-Help me code the faction
-Critique my artwork and help me improve it
Attachments
lunar alliance concept.png
Last edited by Melon on November 30th, 2008, 8:09 am, edited 16 times in total.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Lunarian Alliance

Post by Espreon »

Sounds very interesting...

Those are very nice sketches by the way.

Is this a lawful faction?

Heck, this might be good enough for Thunderstone.

(Espreon is very tired & it is maybe, just maybe a possibility for TS)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I like the idea of the Moongate. The only "problems" I see with it turn out to be "features" once I think them through :lol:
I also like the concept sketches of the too lunies you have there--Though, I'm not sure about the pose on the gunner. I think her shoulders are twisted too far back in relation to her hips... But, they are sketches.
About the two Moongazers--Shouldn't they be a little more hunched over? It's really a stylistic thing, but it bugs me. I mean, walking upright in .17G would be kinda hard, wouldn't it? ;)
Then again, introducing the idea of gravity could prove a little bit clumsy later on... Let's just forget I said that.
Out of curiosity, will the Gunner's fire attack be sort of flame-thower style, with medium-low damage, but a lot of attacks, or more like the Thunderer's attack? It's your call, but I think I'd rather see the former.
Also, I'm not sure about the name "Gunner". I'm not one for overblown names (Think "Lunarian Immolatress"), but "gunner" is a little too simple. Not sure about "flamer", but maybe "lucifer"? Or, to stick with the Latin root of the faction name, how about "ignisa"? Your call, if you wan to keep "gunner" or call her whatever.

Also, are you going to do the moongate death by giving them one health and no resistances, or with a WML ability? Either way could work, but if you did a custom ability, you could give that a description...

Hm. Expensive, elite soldiers with wicked cool armor on who are warped onto the battlefield from their home planet... I can't wait for SC2 to come out.
Melon

Post by Melon »

I've updated the opening post and added most of the units that I still plan to include. Feel free to offer any feedback regarding the units, their names or abilities.
Espreon wrote: Sounds very interesting...
Those are very nice sketches by the way.
Is this a lawful faction?
Moongazers are chaotic, Lunarians are neutral and Phoenixes are lawful.
Espreon wrote: Heck, this might be good enough for Thunderstone.
(Espreon is very tired & it is maybe, just maybe a possibility for TS)
What's Thunderstone?
Skizzaltix wrote: Out of curiosity, will the Gunner's fire attack be sort of flame-thower style, with medium-low damage, but a lot of attacks, or more like the Thunderer's attack? It's your call, but I think I'd rather see the former.
It will have two strikes. I'm changing the damage type to pierce for balancing reasons.
Skizzaltix wrote: Also, are you going to do the moongate death by giving them one health and no resistances, or with a WML ability? Either way could work, but if you did a custom ability, you could give that a description...
Probably by giving them 1 health and no defense and resistances. Same deal for Phoenix ashes. I'm hoping to get some help with WML later on, so I may make something fancier at a later point in time.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Ooh, I'm liking the Phoenixes already.

My only comment so far is that, to me, at least, "headhunter" has more of an aboriginal feel to it than I think you'd want for this faction--Maybe change it to something like "seeker"? Your call.
For the Wraith... Avatar, maybe?

I'm looking forward to seeing this faction playable! :)
Melon

Post by Melon »

Skizzaltix wrote:Ooh, I'm liking the Phoenixes already.

My only comment so far is that, to me, at least, "headhunter" has more of an aboriginal feel to it than I think you'd want for this faction--Maybe change it to something like "seeker"? Your call.
For the Wraith... Avatar, maybe?

I'm looking forward to seeing this faction playable! :)
Thank you. Renamed both.
The Phoenixes will make for interesting scout units since they can never be countered by a single enemy unit, no matter how powerful.
I'll probably make a very basic playable version in a week or so unless I get sidetracked by something (which is a very likely possibility).
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Thunderstone is a futuristic era and such.

Here is its wiki page:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Thunderstone

Anyway, I have no control over Thunderstone, I can only make suggestions.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Espreon wrote:Thunderstone is a futuristic era and such.
Here is its wiki page:
Sounds really, really interesting. I don't really know how well my faction would fit into Thunderstone though, since it wasn't really made with a futuristic setting in mind. Since the faction's still in its early stages, I wouldn't mind recreating it to match the Thunderstone setting if there's any interest. Do you by any chance know who the prominent contributors/creators of this Era are? This project sounds awesome and I'd love to join in.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Melon wrote:
Espreon wrote:Thunderstone is a futuristic era and such.
Here is its wiki page:
Sounds really, really interesting. I don't really know how well my faction would fit into Thunderstone though, since it wasn't really made with a futuristic setting in mind. Since the faction's still in its early stages, I wouldn't mind recreating it to match the Thunderstone setting if there's any interest. Do you by any chance know who the prominent contributors/creators of this Era are? This project sounds awesome and I'd love to join in.
ESR, Aethaeryn and Shadow Master are the ones who control TE.

Also TE is not pure sci-fi, thus supernatural stuff and magic are also present.

Also TE's setting is essentially Irdya (the name of the planet where Wesnoth and such exist) in a futuristic setting, so... yeah.

I will talk to ESR for you.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Here are the first two sprites - Gunner and Invader. I'll try to make at least the first base sprite for each unit tree before I release the first beta.

If anyone's interested in helping me with the faction, I am currently looking for a WML coder to help me script a few of the abilities.
Attachments
gunner.png
gunner.png (4.81 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
invader.png
invader.png (5.2 KiB) Viewed 7116 times
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

WOW! Those are great!

I would like to code this faction.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Nice work! These are really good.
Though, is it just my imagination, or is there a little bit of pillowshading going on on the Invader's skirt/kilt/thing? :hmm:
Anyway, great job!

I'd be willing to help with WML, but... I imagine Espreon is a hell of a lot more capable than myself. I haven't done anything in WML in ages.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Lunar Alliance

Post by Espreon »

Meh, the answer for this to be added to TE is no. I agree... TE is already complex enough.

I am sure this can make it into something else though...

BTW, I will still code this... but not until you produce all the sprites.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Espreon wrote:Meh, the answer for this to be added to TE is no. I agree... TE is already complex enough.

I am sure this can make it into something else though...

BTW, I will still code this... but not until you produce all the sprites.
Thanks Espreon :) . I opened a thread in WML Workshop that lists all the abilities that still need to be coded.

Edit: After running some tests I've decided to replace the Moongazer Ambusher with a different unit. The replacement unit is intended to be used specifically for the purpose of defending Moongates (In fact, one of his promotion branches will have an ability directly linked towards keeping Moongates alive).

I'll try to have a very simple Beta available for download by midnight tomorrow night.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Just a thought--Will the Stalker lose the drain on his melee attacks? Because, drain backstab with perma invis and skirmisher could result in some balancing issues whose only solutions might violate RIPLIB.
Anyway, can't wait for the beta version to be up :)