The Griffoon Lads (updates on first page V. 0.9.2.2 out now!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I'll give some quick answers:
Can I pick and mix units from different eras, mainly to represent wild northmen? and animals?
Yes, easy. Just copy the units over from the relevant era into your units folder.

Animals are more work, because you'll probably have to create the units yourselves, but it can be done.
Will anyone coach me into my scenario building attempt?
I suggest you start here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingCampaigns

Try to build you intended scenario using the instructions available there. If you get stuck, come back and ask for help, and you'll probably get it.
The geography part of the wiki doesn't really say much about the Far North so does this give me relative freedom on how I design my city and story as long as it does not interfere with the main storylines and stays within that city's story?
I wouldn't worry too much about this. You can consider it an ad-hoc collection of human, orcish, dwarvish and elvish mini-states, unlike the south where a single kingdom of Wesnoth dominates the land. Chances are whatever you choose to do will fit in fine.
Where can I read a little more about the Far North in the Wesnoth universe? to build up my story for my scenario?
Here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothGeography
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Thanks a lot.

Here is my processus

1_ choose a city , it's only a name but it's a start.

2_ make up a quick story for my scenario.

3_ sketch out a plan for that scenario.

4 Build up my map and than my scenario.

I'll keep it up todate in here.
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

gotrek860 wrote:Thanks a lot.
Here is my processus
Just a few comments on your map:

- to simulate impassable walls use deep water with a castle wall behind: you get the wanted result and have a quite credibile look;

- it was unusual to find big unused open spaces inside the city walls - walls are a lot of work and usally were build to keep safe the existing not the development yet to come;

- consider the possibility to have the poorer quarters outside the city walls. They develop near the existng city and only later on they are protected by walls or some defensive construction;

- avoid to make the city walls rectangular; it looks like a new settlement stamped out by your local urban development department. You might as well include natural features like a river, which forms a natural bow, hills or cliffs toward one side of the city... the possibilities are countless.

- if you have a bridge leeding over a natural defense normally on the other side a small settlement develops - some scattered houses maybe with a watch tower but without walls or just a small ditch (aka shallow water);

Hope to see you city campaign up and running
Regards
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

1_ choose a city , it's only a name but it's a start.
I have chosen Festog it's an orc city on the western shore. Thus making it prone to be populated by a variety of people through the mercantile attraction of its marine activities.
2_ make up a quick story for my scenario.
I don't want to spoil the fun so basically it's the story of an orc gangster in a north London like atmosphere , his story starts in a tavern where he is given a job to deal with some saurian gang in the slums.
3_ sketch out a plan for that scenario.
Done here is the screenshot. I followed your advice and made it small and simple. derelict forts that have been flooded, rocky patches where workers build their huts and loads of broken bridges because orc towns are not urban models.
4 Build up my map and than my scenario.
I'd like a dark fog to hide the map and also for the starting fort to disappear after turn three, forcing the ganster to press on with what he has at hand.
The castle disappearing would be the tavern's closing time in actul fact. It seems possible since it appears in other scenarios. I will get to that once my map is done.

What do you think?
Image.
db0

Post by db0 »

It looks more like a lake than a city. Make the water just one hex wide in order to look like a channel.

Also you could try uploading the .map file here so other people might download it and edit it. It might help...
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Hadn't thought of that...

This map is supposed to be taking place in some new suburbs popualted my poor humans, goblins and saurians.
Attachments
venise3.map
Here it is with more bridges, smaller canals and more random castles, kept the derelict feel to it though...I tried anyway.
(420 Bytes) Downloaded 227 times
db0

Post by db0 »

gotrek860 wrote:Hadn't thought of that...

This map is supposed to be taking place in some new suburbs popualted my poor humans, goblins and saurians.
I suggest you also upload a screenshot, for those that can't or won't download and open ;)
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Is it possible to screenshot the whole map at once? Or do I have to copy and paste each half like I have been doing before.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Tell you what, I'll be kind and do it for you.

Just put it in the [ map ] and [ /map ], obviously without spaces, and it'll create a map image for you, it'll also offer to let you download it as well:

[map]nn2nssSSQQQssSu\sFui
snnnnSs/Vi\//isFVVFN
SwnSSi\s\/wNYs\\VVVF
wsSSiNi\sSsssZsi\wVs
sFs/issiSSsNs/Ssiwis
SNwQskisQDss\|iNQQww
SFNs\\ss[DDSs|sNKwws
|s|sSSCs[\D\\|ssi\ww
iiNsSsswsw/s\\\Ss//w
isssiiswqYuSss/is|sw
|wqs/skswiusSi/SswYY
wDY/|ssY/iiSiSssSSqS
wDDQ/sq/w\s//NNNsSsi
sswws/SVss/kssVssqYq
SS|skk/\SNs/k\sSSSYi
AsSwws/||SSSss\\wwis
iYwwws|SSppNSYwW\SWW
sSii|FSRR[DSSWWW'C'W
ssiiFSpRuDDSDWWWC1CW
iSSSiNFpRSiQSWWWCCCW[/map]

Blimey, that is a nice map. Still looks a bit like a lake though.
db0

Post by db0 »

Neat trick :)
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Thanks a lot that does make things easier.
For the lake feel of it, well I cut down a lot of the canals.
it's supposed to be some poor part of town submerged in water and fgoing derelict. So in a way it is a city on a lake... Maybe I should turn the ice tiles into snow or tiles to give more of a solid look? but than it would be a bit empty of houses, whereas the ice explains the absence of hovels....
I'm still thinking on it though.

with the shroud it won't have so much of that lake feel to it for the player and when I work out how to make the keep disappear on turn 3 I can add loads of houses, which will in fact just be for healing , since I plan on losing the cash in the future scenarios, since our hero will give any profit to his mafia boss.
That way the unbalanced amount of money coming in will be balanced out.

The ennemy keep will be cut down to two recruiting tiles as well.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Hang on...Your giving shroud to a 20x20 map? If your going to do shroud then do a larger map, otherwise it'll be discovered staight away and there will have been no point in doing shroud in the first place.
db0

Post by db0 »

One suggestion that I would make is not to use so many bridges. I don't know but it does not seem correct to have a city built on bridges:) I have an idea but I can't show it to you right now, I'll do so when I get home ;)

In the meantime, this might also give you ideas
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

You could perhaps make it stone, insteadof snow?
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

I'll try a second version with stones and less bridges, than we can decide... I have to get going on these cfg files as well...

Now while I wait for db0 to get home, I did a second version of that map without the snow and frost. But I'll show it later.
for now my problem is I did a very simple cfg file with the wml tutorial on the wiki...and oh surprise it doesn't work at all.... help please!!!