The Griffoon Lads (updates on first page V. 0.9.2.2 out now!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gotrek860

The Griffoon Lads (updates on first page V. 0.9.2.2 out now!

Post by gotrek860 »

I will put all informations concerning the version currently on the server here.

current version on the server:
What the pack on the server contains:
Same as 0.9.1 but with a bug fixed.

If you have played it, and hated it... please say so. If you loved it...say so as well.

This is the start of the discussion:
Ok you're probably call me a big noob and hang me from the ceiling for this question.
But I'll ask all the same.

Is there a city orientated campaign out there? I mean fighting in a city at a large scale, where each unit really represents one guy and every hoiuse a house and not a villagE?

Wesnoth seems perfect for that type of action. I searched but didn't find anything.
Thanks for your answers.
Last edited by gotrek860 on February 28th, 2008, 8:33 pm, edited 9 times in total.
db0

Post by db0 »

*prepares rope*
*hangs hook*
*passes rope through hood*
*waits patiently*

ok seriously though, that's not a bad idea at all, but you would have to find some way to make the map interesting. You would need new terrain to block passage (chasms won't really do), another way to gain money instead of villages and generally a different play system

I can see it working in a skirmishy kind of way, it would actually be more realistic, but it would need a lot of work
tsr

Post by tsr »

db0 wrote: ok seriously though, that's not a bad idea at all, but you would have to find some way to make the map interesting. You would need new terrain to block passage (chasms won't really do), another way to gain money instead of villages and generally a different play system

I can see it working in a skirmishy kind of way, it would actually be more realistic, but it would need a lot of work
Well, actually it 'only' needs a lot of art. Almost all terrain must have new art (cobble-stones, elvish stone-path and muddy-road are the ones I can see fit in a city-setting).

I can also imagine healing and income to come from different kinds of buildings (like hospitals, banks, etc).

But implementing this might be better doing it the spacenoth way ;)

/tsr - just procrastinating :P
db0

Post by db0 »

tsr wrote: But implementing this might be better doing it the spacenoth way ;)

What's the "Spacenoth way"?
tsr

Post by tsr »

db0 wrote:
tsr wrote: But implementing this might be better doing it the spacenoth way ;)

What's the "Spacenoth way"?
Sorry, I knew I should have explained that. Creating a new universe that uses the wesnoth engine to make another game. So no limits in regrads to traits, abilities, units, terrains, etc. Also creating another development environment (eg svn?, communication channels - forum, irc, etc).

/tsr
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

strokes his neck
That was a close shave...
I didn't think it would this complicated, but your comments make a lot of sense
I'll try working out a map on my part that would "sort of" make do with what is at hand.
db0

Post by db0 »

I suggest you begin very simple. Try just making a simple scenario.

Also keep note that changing villages healing and stuff will play merry hell with the AI
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

ok I've sketched up the map , it's a very early thing. Here is a screen shot.

You can see various quarters.
I avoiided the tiling problem by making it winteR...that way the houses fit in perfect with the ground colour.
There is an old town for the working class , elvish quarters and some fort in the middle for the "rich" guys with a litte frozen ditch around it and a sort of market place atmosphere tovit.. tell me what you think.
The other towns folk only get mud tracks since they are not as important.
I think this is a bit too large though but it gives an hint as to what I had in mind.

[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/366/ ... qk8.th.jpg]
db0

Post by db0 »

Well, this is a normal map, it's only that the villages are bunched at the specific places. It looks more "towny" but it doesn't have many of the normal aspect or urban warfare (ie unpassable houses, walls etc)
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

yes, I know I have to think of a way to close up the quarters a bit more.
Two opitions have come to mind either a Venice type town with a ridiculous amount of bridges and forts which would slow down progression quiet a bit.

Or using th chasms as old city parts of a larger city...But chasms in a town center do seem odd.

I think the canal connections may work better dramatically.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

The Eastern Invasion holds the precedent, because the second last scenario in that has a map covering all of one city and nothing else. The only rule change is that the changes something like every four turns instead of one (so the entire scenario takes place between dusk and dawn over one night).

If all you want to do is base a scenario in a single city, it shouldn't be too much trouble. If, however, you want to include other rule changes, you might have a problem.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

I haven't played that campaign much.

Yes my idea was cncetrating in quarters of the city, as a sort of strreet gang fights and so forth. Maybe with a story behind it.
But I'm know nothing on this campaign making stuff so I'd need loads of help.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Right after having a good think about it.
I think I'll make the huge leap and try out to make a scenario.
Than a second and so on to get a mini campaign.

The rough idea so far is to set it in the Far north in one or the orc cities. which could easily be represented by the tiles already at hand.

Now I have a few questions. i have divided them in two. Practical building questions and contextual Wesnoth questions.

Practical:
1) Can I pick and mix units from different eras, mainly to represent wild northmen? and animals?

2) Will anyone coach me into my scenario building attempt?

Contextual:

1)The geography part of the wiki doesn't really say much about the Far North so does this give me relative freedom on how I design my city and story as long as it does not interfere with the main storylines and stays within that city's story?

2) Where can I read a little more about the Far North in the Wesnoth universe? to build up my story for my scenario?

More will come do not worry...
Thanks.
db0

Post by db0 »

OK, my advice. Start slow and don't worry about geography or whatever

Initially make a simple scenario or urban warfare and see how it looks. Then think of a storyline and then start making a campaign

1.Yes, you can mix and choose anything you wish.
2. I don't know if anyone can coach you but in the FOSS world, first you help yourself and then people help you ;)
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

I actually like the idea of a Venice-type city. Very doable. Just make sure you use all deep water for the canals, to make it impassible to most units.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past