"The Twisted" Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ubertuna-1

"The Twisted" Faction

Post by ubertuna-1 »

I have been sitting on this idea for a while. I have made some artwork for it (my avatar is a concept for it) and I have a basic unit tree. If this is really going to turn into something then I'll need help with the WML and some better art. The faction is this: An occultist faction that is something of a cross between elves and undead. Some of the shamans and mages might be able to use Voodoo Magic to attack. The faction would consist of a mage tree, assassin tree, warrior tree, ghost tree, and skeleton tree. Some of the artwork can be found here. Some of it is on the next page. If anybody is willing to help you can post here or PM me. I am working on art for a "Spellblade" unit now. Here is the tree so far:

Magic Tree
L1 Shaman-->L2 Mage, L2 Occultist, L2 Summoner
L2 Mage-->L3 Spell Weaver
L2 Occultist-->L3 Voodoo Master
L3 Voodoo Master-->L4 Hag

Assassin Tree
L1 Assassin-->L2 Lurker
L2 Lurker-->L3 Stalker

Warrior Tree
L1 Bladesman-->L2 Warrior, L2 Spellblade
L2 Warrior--> L3 Legend, L3 Marshal

Ghost Tree
L0 Whisp-->L1 Spirit, L1 Ghost
L1 Spirit-->L2 Ancient Spirit
L1 Ghost-->L2 Wraith
L2 Wraith-->L3 Banshee

Undead Tree
L0 Reanimated Corpse-->L1 Skeletal Archer, L1 Skeletal Warrior
L1 Skeletal Archer-->L2 Skeletal Ranger
L1 Skeletal Warrior-->L2 Boneblade, L2 Fireblade
L2 Bonesword-->L3 Bloodblade

It has no stats, just names and tree structure.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

It looks a good idea, in my opinion. But why not adding more "warriors"? Do you already have an idea on how do they'll look?
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

I have a little bit of an idea. My avatar is supposed to be one of their mages/shamans. Look here for some of the artwork. My main problem is with the coding. I tried to learn WML a few months ago and I ended up crashing the server :/ If anybody would be willing to help with the coding it would be great. I am going to come up with stats for the units. I will most likely post them in about a week after I get the chance to make them reasonably balanced.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Crashing the server!? So you did....
Well, never mind. I'll get you some indications on how to build an era/faction.
There are so many people here that they may help you in your quest, but for the moment, the only one who answeared you was me...
Now, I readed some of these units and you could replace some names: for example, your undead tree already exist in default era of Wesnoth with your ghosts' tree as well; the mage tree sounds pretty interesting but your lv2 Mage is destinated to change its name, like your lv3 Marshal of the Warrior tree ('cos it already exist in the Loyalists faction). Of course they're only names, but try to add some "special" units to your faction/era and I'll may help ya with scripts, ok? Greetings
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ubertuna-1 wrote:I tried to learn WML a few months ago and I ended up crashing the server :/
We should have known that.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
the_revenant

Post by the_revenant »

Hmm, a few name changes perhaps?

-Ghost ----> spectre?

-Skeletal Ranger ----> Skeletal Marksmen? (I somehow feel that a reanimated pile of bones lacks the dexterity to be a ranger).

I currently have no project on my hands at the moment, so i could do some artwork if you need it, im no coder so cant help you with the WML, but if you need some, just PM me.
Someone got to know me well, drowned me in their wishing well, making mistakes, we all do, worst of mine was trusting you a stranger
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Well, who better than Revenant knows the undeads? :D Joking
Maybe we should add a few units on the Warrior tree: imagine an Era with more than 30 units, all with a specific/unique ability. You could cut some undeads and concentrate more on the "living" beings, like warriors and assassins. Your Voodoo mage, for example, is great to reanimate walking corpses like the Necromancer, so you don't need that much undead warriors.
Think to descriptions too, imagine a background, a world of choas with warriors struggling to each other and magic is not a mystery anymore...
the_revenant

Post by the_revenant »

Bikerbob wrote:Well, who better than Revenant knows the undeads? :D Joking
The_Revenant has no concept of humour lol
Bikerbob wrote:Maybe we should add a few units on the Warrior tree: imagine an Era with more than 30 units, all with a specific/unique ability. You could cut some undeads and concentrate more on the "living" beings, like warriors and assassins.
Well as the name is twisted, how about rather than undead, simply mutated humans, twisted by their use of dark voodoo magic? However this may be too similar to the Plauged Ones, though that faction looks rather dead to me :?
Someone got to know me well, drowned me in their wishing well, making mistakes, we all do, worst of mine was trusting you a stranger
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Bikerbob wrote:Crashing the server!? So you did....
No no no no no. That was somebody else by the username of "Spinach". He figured out how to crash the clients of individual users. When I tried to test my faction (a few months ago) my client crahsed and everybody else got booted from the server. I have not messed with WML since. This is beside the point since I now have found somebody willing to do the WML for me. Crimsworth is oing to start helping me with the WML as soon as I get the stats finished up.

Also, I am trying to split it maybe 60/40 with living and undead. I am including many undead because the voodoo mages summon spirits and undead to help them fight. Maybe I will cut back some of the unit tree after I get to the balancing stage.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Well, my account was destroyed too and I figured out as Bikerbob (I hope he doesn't discover me...), but I'm back in action now! The mass-server crash annihilated and mixed the majority of usernames and I emailed one of the developers and what does he answered? Unfortunately your account was disabled. Grrrrrrrrr...

I'm trying to forget what is done and concentrate to work: your Era is really interesting but you need to extend it and maybe so much undeads won't actually need at all. As I explained before (Bikerbob), you can do a Necromancer-like unit, capable to summon walking corpses (your walking corpses, of course) and, if really necessary, try to create some new undeads' tree. The rest sounds pretty good, but a programmer's primary goal is the perfection. More playable is, better is the result wouldn't you do the same? :)
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

dontano wrote:Well, my account was destroyed too and I figured out as Bikerbob (I hope he doesn't discover me...), but I'm back in action now! The mass-server crash annihilated and mixed the majority of usernames and I emailed one of the developers and what does he answered? Unfortunately your account was disabled. Grrrrrrrrr...
You still don't get it. I accidently crashed the 1.2 multiplayer server when I played one of my eras on there a few months ago. I wasn't aware of any "destroyed accounts". And what do you mean by "Unfortunately your acount was disabled"?
dontano

Post by dontano »

Bah, let's try to forget which happened and let's come back to work ok? I have enough of this story.
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

Fine by me.
dontano

Post by dontano »

Do you like my avatar? I made it myself when I was looking for sprites, but it's quite huge in dimensions and I recycled here in the forum :)
I have a few ideas about your units' tree, but I was thinking that instead of making a unique faction of these sub-trees you posted, we could make an whole era with different factions and each has a "speciality" or unique ability. So that we have: a Voodoo faction, with voodoo mages and soldiers as well (but the balancing between mages and warriors is about 65/35); a Warrior/Assassin faction casting a lot of specific warriors (no mages here) with the ability of speed; an Undead-like faction, with different types of undeads, choosing between skeletons, zombies and phantoms. What do you think?