Song: Snowfall

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeremy2
Music Contributor

Song: Snowfall

Post by jeremy2 »

Yes, I probably should finalize the other two before I start yet another one, but we had our first snowfall a short while ago. I had this vivid picture of a heavy snowfall with a lonely person looking out the window.

http://www.gnexp.com/songs/snowfall.mp3
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

sounds like harry potter, but a little bit different. I like it!
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Yeah. Not bad, but one thing i like to say: "The sampling rate could really be lowered to 120 Kbps!" This seems to be virus of musicians here, to distribute one minute of music in a nice 6 MB package.

Or when you think, that your music is so great, that it is unnecessarily crippled by a lower sampling rate than please say it, before i have to download it.

By the way, good music! I get more the feeling of "The godfather". :D
Sounds not like harry p. It is more italian style.

By the way, this piece is really movie style quality. You should maybe work together with Mr. Kaufman. Your music has really improved.
Last edited by vonHalenbach on October 21st, 2007, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Sorry, I have broadband so I don't notice when it's a huge file. It probably does not help that I've started to sample my pieces at 96khz either... I've had 2 gigs of drive space disappear in the past few days. I will see what I can do to decrease the file size. :D Italian, huh? I can see a little bit of the Harry Potter in it, as I seem to remember a few songs that had a lonely/mysterious bent to them. It's been a while since I've listened to Italian music, but apparently it's still influencing me.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Nice. I suppose this is a WIP so I'll leave out the more technical comments for now.

Spontaneously, this doesn't really give me a feeling of snow, it sounds more gloomy and "rainy autumn day"-like. But then, I love snow so I don't associate it with minor keys and sorrowful violins.

Sounds promising though, it has an empty, sad feeling that I think you should try and stick to. Don't go over the top with adding more instruments, keep it fairly sparse.

It's kind of short right now and I really don't know in what direction you're going with it, so I can't be more in depth than this ATM. I'm looking forward to hearing another revision though.
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

vonHalenbach wrote:By the way, this piece is really movie style quality. You should maybe work together with Mr. Kaufman. Your music has really improved.
Wow, thank you. I must have been really tired when I first read your comment as I totally missed this part of it. I most certainly appreciate all the support, criticisms and enthusiasm that I've received on this board. Thank you all. Are you talking about Jake Kaufman?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

jeremy2 wrote:
vonHalenbach wrote:By the way, this piece is really movie style quality. You should maybe work together with Mr. Kaufman. Your music has really improved.
Wow, thank you. I must have been really tired when I first read your comment as I totally missed this part of it. I most certainly appreciate all the support, criticisms and enthusiasm that I've received on this board. Thank you all. Are you talking about Jake Kaufman?
No, you were not tired. I had added it with an edit. Sorry.
I meant Doug Kaufman.

EDIT:

I think you should drop the work on your other pieces and work only on this piece. Please don't try to make it fitting as game music. Have a movie in the back of your head, when you build it further.

If you are old enough, you should get the movie "the godfather". Snowfall has really emotions in it! I hope you will make it complete.
West wrote: Sounds promising though, it has an empty, sad feeling that I think you should try and stick to. Don't go over the top with adding more instruments, keep it fairly sparse.
I agree.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I have just a crazy idea for the title of this song. "Harry Alfino in the snowfall" :lol:
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

The first few bars were vaguely reminiscent of the Harry Potter theme, but in general I'd say it does not sound Harry-Potterish.

That said, I'm not sure whether it sounds like falling snow, but I do like it.

I've got it! This is the theme song of a snow-demon!
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

There's a story behind this. This is a lonely person looking outside a window as it snows, wishing he could go out and do something but is too afraid of getting too cold or lost. I am depicting the loneliness, not so much the snowfall (though I am aiming to have that feeling as more of a background). However, the title "Lonely person looking outside a window while watching the snow" just does not roll off the tongue quite as nicely. I am open to suggestions for the title, though I personally like it.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Then you should call it "loney snowflake"
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

West wrote:Spontaneously, this doesn't really give me a feeling of snow, it sounds more gloomy and "rainy autumn day"-like. But then, I love snow so I don't associate it with minor keys and sorrowful violins.

Sounds promising though, it has an empty, sad feeling that I think you should try and stick to. Don't go over the top with adding more instruments, keep it fairly sparse.
Funny, I think of a rainy Autumn day as a rather happy one (as long as it's not too cold). I love the snow as well, but I do have mixed feelings as there have been a few days were I was unhappily trapped inside due to heavy snow. I think you are absolutely right about the instrumentation - I was only planning on having the violin, flute, cello, and harp. The thing that sucks the most is that the violin solo instrument sounds more like a small section. Oi, sampling is a pain in the butt.

It has been updated again, FYI.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like it.

I could say more, but I'll leave it to the actual composers. ;)
jeremy2 wrote:Funny, I think of a rainy Autumn day as a rather happy one (as long as it's not too cold).
indeed. Today was the first real rainy, chilly autumn day in Texas and it was awesome. :D

But I would say that both rain and snow usually lead to a more melancholy happiness, if that makes sense - quieter, more contemplative.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

When I read this I pictured an old man in the attic reading letters from his deceased wife. Kinda sweet, but sad at the same time.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

jeremy2 wrote:There's a story behind this. This is a lonely person looking outside a window as it snows, wishing he could go out and do something but is too afraid of getting too cold or lost. I am depicting the loneliness, not so much the snowfall (though I am aiming to have that feeling as more of a background). However, the title "Lonely person looking outside a window while watching the snow" just does not roll off the tongue quite as nicely.
In that case, it all makes sense. Good work!