The Cave Guard - mp campaign, version 0.0.3

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tsr

The Cave Guard - mp campaign, version 0.0.3

Post by tsr »

The Cave Guard - now with 2/7 feature complete scenarios
requires 1.3.7

Ok, I'm not in the story telling business so here it is.

I've just uploaded a mp campaign to the add-on server. There are 2 feature complete scenarios, 1 started and 3 thought out.

I'm looking for:
1. playtesters - just play it, was it too easy, too hard, boring, etc, feedback, feedback, feedback!

2. story writers - ok, so I don't write excellent prose, pls help atm I have a bunch of filler messages that need content and also rewriting the others. I want this campaign to be dry, no humour, etc and as few messages as possible but still giving the players enough information. (I'm thinking this is MP after all, if ppl want to RP they can, there is a chat)

3. name droppers - stuff needs names, not only Pedro, but the cave, the region, the other main characters, etc, etc

4. in the distant future, custom art - no comments :lol:

5. Brainstormers - I would like to come up with 6 items and 6 abilities for the players to find in the 3rd scenario (the chambers) so that I can dish out some gifts at random there, so far I've come up with the following stuff (I have no idea if this is balanced):

- gifts that affect all new recruits for that side
-- freeze (when the adepts 'shadow wave' hits a skeletal unit that unit freezes so that it resistances are halved, duration as poison)
-- enraged (berserk-on-attack for WC and Soulless)
-- ghost armor (60% defence for ghosts)
-- ?

- one time gifts that will be swappable from unit to unit in the void
-- fire arrows
-- dwarven hammer
-- mace
-- entangle
-- torch
-- degenerate (4hp regen)
-- weak leadership (10%/level)
-- ?

This post will be cleaned up later, when there is more substance in the campaign, atm it will be full of spoilers, etc.

The basic plot:
1_The_siege (feature complete)
You are the three subcommanders of the ancient lich Pedro (does with a good memory knows what to look for) that is under siege from the good alliance (dwarves, humans, elves). It seems the battle is lost but Pedro saves the day.

He also dies doing so, so know the cave spirit needs a new cave guard, you set out on an expedition to finish off the good alliance and also to train yourselves for the task of cave guard.

1.5_The_void (almost complete)
this is just am in-between scenario to feed the players with hints of what is coming and to make some arrangements concerning recalls.)

Lacks some dialog and the wml to pass around objects, but that's not a real issue since I haven't got any objects to handle yet :)

2_Dwarven_corpses (feature complete)
You follow the trail of WCs to a small valley, apparently the valley is full of WCs, but it seems someone else is here too.

Kill the dwarves!

Ok, I'm thinking of severely crippling the runemaster or at least nerfe it a bit so that it wont with all probability kill at least one evil unit/turn, thoughts?

3_The_Chambers (started)
Walk through the chambers of the dead dwarves kill some weak monsters, find some stuff, exit.

3.5_The_void - (almost feature complete)
See above.

4_Into_the_glade (started)
Get out of the chambers, find yourself among a bunch of elves and a few WCs battling it out, kill them all.

But I need another victory condition, and some special stuff for this scenario, maybe a hunt kind of thing, that could work since I need the scenario to move the players north.

4.4_The_void (almost feature complete)
See above

5_Up_on_the_mountain (thought out)
Ok, so now you face the humans, nothing fancy, quite weak opponent, because in this scenario you will be able o attack eachother for the first time, but still no leader can die.

5.5_The_void (almost feature complete)
See above

6_Running_home (thought out)
After killing the human leader there should be some kind of slugfest moving south (about the same length that you ran after some elf north in the previous scenario :)).

7_May_the_battle_begin (thought out)
So, now it's time, a regular 3ffa with recalls, sorry n3t_clan :D

The objective is to become the only remaining ancient lich before turns run out. This could mean that the campaign might not be beaten every time, since you will have to level your leader from DA to ancient lich.

Ok, that's it, have fun, etc

/tsr
Last edited by tsr on August 25th, 2007, 3:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: The Cave Guard - mp campaign, version 0.0.1

Post by zookeeper »

tsr wrote:ancient lich Pedro
Will this do for a portrait?
Attachments
pedro.png
pedro.png (10.64 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
tsr

Re: The Cave Guard - mp campaign, version 0.0.1

Post by tsr »

zookeeper wrote:
tsr wrote:ancient lich Pedro
Will this do for a portrait?
Now I have two excellent choices to portrait him :)

/tsr
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Shouldn't the lich have an appropriate title? I mean, something along the lines of Don Pedro? :lol:

I see you used allow_new_game=no in the scenarios 2/3. Note that there's a bug with this currently that seriously messes-up the scenario list. I'd advise you to not use allow_new_game for the sake of the people who download this for now.

Other than that you should be awarded a prize for publishing the first working multi-scenario MP content, ever! :D
(well I can't actually try it now because I don't have the svn revisions installed... :cry:)
tsr

Post by tsr »

Rhuvaen wrote:Shouldn't the lich have an appropriate title? I mean, something along the lines of Don Pedro? :lol:
:) Ok, I'll ask Temuchin in person instead...
Rhuvaen wrote: I see you used allow_new_game=no in the scenarios 2/3. Note that there's a bug with this currently that seriously messes-up the scenario list. I'd advise you to not use allow_new_game for the sake of the people who download this for now.
How is it messed up, the only thing I noticed is that the map isn't shown in the lobby (ok, I haven't tested that much, but I'll take your advice).
Rhuvaen wrote: Other than that you should be awarded a prize for publishing the first working multi-scenario MP content, ever! :D
(well I can't actually try it now because I don't have the svn revisions installed... :cry:)
And it's superboring that so few use trunk since I can't get any feedback :( (hoping that 1.3.7 will be out here soon)

/tsr
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

tsr wrote:Ok, I'll ask Temuchin in person instead...
A much better idea, indeed. :)
tsr wrote:How is it messed up, the only thing I noticed is that the map isn't shown in the lobby (ok, I haven't tested that much, but I'll take your advice).
It's messed up in that the scenarios you remove by adding allow_new_game=no don't appear in the list of scenario titles, but their maps stay in the list of scenario maps. You'll end up with something like this:

Code: Select all

scenario list by name     ---> associated map

a) The Cave Guard 1       ---> The Cave Guard 1 Map

(The Cave Guard 2 is not displayed - allow_new_game=no)

b) Some other scenario    ---> The Cave Guard 2 Map

c) Last Scenario          ---> Some other Scenario Map
EDIT: actually, a good workaround for now would be to give all your scenarios except the first one a name or id (not sure which determines their position in the list) that ranks last... "ZZZ something"

Of course, if we do that we'll never find out when the bug is fixed. :wink:
tsr

Post by tsr »

Bump, mostly to let everyone know it's here and that now when 1.3.7 is out you will soon be able to give me feedback. Yay! :D

/tsr
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

tsr wrote:
Rhuvaen wrote:Shouldn't the lich have an appropriate title? I mean, something along the lines of Don Pedro? :lol:
:) Ok, I'll ask Temuchin in person instead...
Well, let's see here.

Do you want to keep the Mexican flavor? If so, perhaps the name "Pedro" could be replaced with the name of one of these Aztec gods:

Teoyaomicqui – god of those who died in battle
Mictlantecuhtli – god of death
Mextli – god of war and storms
Chalmecatl – underworld
Chalmecatecuchtli – god of the underworld
Acolmiztli – god of underworld
Acolnahuacatl – god of underworld

Anyway, just a thought.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
tsr wrote: :) Ok, I'll ask Temuchin in person instead...
Well, let's see here.

Do you want to keep the Mexican flavor?
Actually I don't want to stick with the mexican flavor, I want it to blend well into wesnoth. I don't know if this a contradiction, but if it is, I'd really prefer a wesnothian name.

/tsr
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

:shock: I still haven't had time to try this... who has?

(I'm bumping this to show I haven't forgotten)
Caeb

Post by Caeb »

from what I remember from a few weeks ago, one of the human leaders didn't have an initial army, and the second scenario couldn't be loaded...

I suppose the variety between players can come later, but without recruitment and on slow terrain, in the first scenario the players are just waiting for the corpses to weaken each other before they go in to clean up the mess...

maybe killing a few dozen zombies will provide easy early experience for later scenarios, but it could be more tactically challenging if there are just 7 scenarios in all...
tsr

Post by tsr »

Well there are still some problems, I haven't looked at it for a while, but it's not forgotten, this week I've got too much to do, but next week I'll work on it again, especially if someone gives feedback :D

And Caeb I assure you that you need all the xp you can get from the first scenario...

/tsr
suokko
Inactive Developer

Post by suokko »

How to fix problem that middle player doesn't get troops or villages:
Find this from scenarios/1_The_Siege.cfg and replace with this fixed version

Code: Select all

{TCG_AI_LEADER 1 ("Ancient Lich") ("Pedro") () 11 16}

{TCG_1_PLAYER_LEADER 3 ("Dark Adept") 11 13}  
                {CREATE_UNIT 3 "Skeleton" 10 11 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {CREATE_UNIT 3 "Skeleton" 12 11 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {CREATE_UNIT 3 "Skeleton Archer" 11 12 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {CREATE_UNIT 3 "Ghost" 11 14 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {TCG_GET_VILLAGE 3 9 11}
                {TCG_GET_VILLAGE 3 13 11}

{TCG_1_PLAYER_LEADER 4 ("Dark Adept") 4 12}
                {CREATE_UNIT 4 "Skeleton" 4 10 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])} 
                {CREATE_UNIT 4 "Skeleton" 6 10 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])} 
                {CREATE_UNIT 4 "Skeleton Archer" 5 11 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {CREATE_UNIT 4 "Ghost" 4 11 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {TCG_GET_VILLAGE 4 6 10}                      
                {TCG_GET_VILLAGE 4 5 12}                      

{TCG_1_PLAYER_LEADER 2 ("Dark Adept") 18 12}  
                {CREATE_UNIT 2 "Skeleton" 18 10 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {CREATE_UNIT 2 "Skeleton" 16 10 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {CREATE_UNIT 2 "Skeleton Archer" 17 11 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {CREATE_UNIT 2 "Ghost" 18 11 () ([modifications]{TRAIT_LOYAL}[/modifications])}
                {TCG_GET_VILLAGE 2 16 10}                     
                {TCG_GET_VILLAGE 2 17 12}