Your reaction when you first played Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

"Another stupid free game from download.com This one looks better than the others though"
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Tifereth

Post by Tifereth »

Well, something to play for a while....

Now i cant leave it, lol.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

/*Clicks tutorial*/

Ah yay, it looks like fire emblemtm

/*Finish tutorial*/

/* Clicks campaigns*/

sweeet.

/*looks at UtBS*/

Wow an rpg!

/*and plays, and plays, and plays.......*/
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hah. I've been playing Wesnoth for a longer time than you. :) In 0.9.6, there was no preinstalled UtBS.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Shadow Master wrote:Hah. I've been playing Wesnoth for a longer time than you. :) In 0.9.6, there was no preinstalled UtBS.
Pft 0.7.6 or so can't recall it anymore. My biggest question was why do I always miss. Doesn't has changed though.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Shadow wrote:0.7.6 or so
Same for me! At the time I wondered: why is the version number still below 1.0? What could be missing here?

Now I know. :wink:
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

Games can ALWAYS be improved, even if the game is 100% bug free you can always add new content, etc etc.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
toms

Post by toms »

My first thought was: Interesting...but how do you play it??

(when I started with 0.7 only some fragments were translated)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

"I wonder if Asheviere is hot."

(0.9 didn't have introductory art)
BlackFlagGames

Post by BlackFlagGames »

My first thought was that I had briefly turned it on once before and thought before that eh, it looks like it's gonna be a genesis era RPG with typos in the dialogue, and I turned it off. I tried it once more on a fluke and remember actually looking at the portrait art and reexamining the sprite art and thinking hey, this isn't cutting edge but it's actually pretty good looking. I played through the tutorial, and then realized that oh crap, this game is awesome but when I hit the campaigns button after the tutorial nothing happened, I investigated and discovered it was an Ubuntu issue and I downloaded all the mainline scenarios. It's great. I've beaten HttT and the one with South in the name but whose full name escapes me.

So yea, first thought: ehh pass.

second first thought: ehh actually not so bad

Final thoughts: love it.
minstrel

Post by minstrel »

My first thought, when playing v.1.2.4 which is my first experience of the game, was that it looks pretty good, and seems to work pretty good as well.

Then I hit the map editor and started making my own content (which is something I like to do with any game which offers the possibility, from StarCraft to Neverwinter Nights), and thought that the way scenarios and campaigns are handled in the game is interesting, but sometimes require that you are pretty familiar with programming. But then that's the case most of the time, if you want to make anything more advanced with any game.

My only gripe is how a unit's defense values and resistances are tied into their movetype, and that this is separated from the cfg file where you define the rest of the unit (animations, attacks etc.). This doesn't seem intuitive to me. Maybe it's a legacy from earlier versions? Or maybe the developer team has thought this through long and hard, and I just don't see what they see. :D
Melbourne

Re: Your reaction when you first played Wesnoth

Post by Melbourne »

Syntax_Error wrote:what was your reaction when you first played Wesnoth?.
1. This is an excellent game that suits my interests, has excellent standards in every department, and is produced by the developer community. Well done to all the developers - now can you go out there and achieve world peace?
2. Hey I've been playing this game, and I can't see the PC clock, ... uh its 3am already!
3. Is there anything else out there that even comes close (in terms of turn based strategy games)?
Started playing Wesnoth in June 2007 and well done for creating such a great game!
ibwebb

Newbie – Ver 1.2.5

Post by ibwebb »

First let me say that I didn’t read anyone else’s post before writing this. I didn’t want to find that anyone’s ideas would influence what I might have thought when I started playing BfW about a week ago.

There was a ton of links to BfW out there and I was worried it was one of those resource-hogging online battle games. The ones that are filled with tons of ‘eye-candy’, but underneath it there is the same old same old game. I was immediately surprised when I got it started up and saw what it was. Being hyped about it and not really expecting to keep the game; I must say that I didn’t really read the manual or much about it at first. So, needless to say I was confused at first what the numbers where, why my ranged attacks had to be adjacent to attack, and why obviously powerful units were getting so easily beat. Yet, it was refreshingly wonderful all the same.

After reading some *blush* of the manual I gave it another shot and fell immediately in love with it. I am sure that many have said this, but really; I looked at this small (compared to so many others’ that I know) pile of games that I have spent $20+ on and felt horrible about the cash I had wasted when this had been around all this time. Obviously, the game isn’t perfected, but imho it holds only a few bugs at most; though, there is an inner excitement about what all this could/will be. I was excited that so much thought and energy was put into the game instead of an overwhelming amount of ‘eye candy’. BfW offers good graphics and a superb game play that I am sure I will be enjoying for years to come (if not longer).

The only thoughts that I can offer (which I have a feeling have already been given at some time) are:

1. Making the random numbers have some better favoritism for superior troops. The randomness is a little too much there when an obviously superior troop is being smashed by a peon.
2. Perhaps, ranged troops should be able to attack from a hex away instead of needing to be adjacent to the enemy.
3. Think about in the future letting one choose the side that they want to take in a scenario and try to run it from that angle instead of the single choice that is there now.

PLEASE, understand that those are suggestions and not meant as any ‘put-down’ or the likes. The game is fantastic! Adding in the facts that it is free and being designed, programmed, and ?? by a staff that I am sure isn’t paid or is paid very little the game jumps from fantastic to ‘unbelievably superbly incredible’! Anyway, my long windedness has come out and I think you get what I am saying. THANK YOU to everyone and anyone that has had anything to do with BfW. If there is anything that I can ever do to help; don’t hesitate to ask!

ibwebb
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Now now, if you want to post ideas(which will certainly be locked because they'll be FPIs), please go to the Ideas section of this forum, read the FPI thread(Frequently proposed Ideas), and post your ideas if they are NOT in the FPI, obviously. A quick search to check if your ideas have been posted before is nice as well. This thread isn't supposed to be filled with ideas or commentaries(like mine, even) that have nothing to do with the purpose of this thread, so let's try and keep it on topic :)
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
ibwebb

Post by ibwebb »

Konrad II, I was just stating my thoughts on the first (or first few) time(s) that I played it. Those were the thought-suggestions that I was thinking. I didnt really mean them here as suggestions to the game developers; though, I have thought about still suggesting them in the stated thread. Sorry if that wasnt clear and sorry about posting this.. just wanted to clear that up.