Isar's cross descendant

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sauron

Isar's cross descendant

Post by Sauron »

Any balancement remarks? I meant to widen frontline. 1-4 v 2-3.
[map]WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWW&&&&&&&&&&&&&WWWWW
WWW&&nhvh/dkd\hvhn&&WWW
WWW&1ngggccZccgggn2&WWW
WWW&nwkkkfkdkfkkkwn&WWW
WWW&hgcNggwfkggNcgh&WWW
WW&&&YkgYghqhgYgkY&&&WW
WW&&kkcgfmfhfmhgckk&&WW
WW&&kYcghgfqfgfgcYk&&WW
WW&&&gkNYghfhgYNkg&&&WW
WWW&hwckgfkdwfgkcwh&WWW
WWW&nnkgkckZkckgknn&WWW
WWW&4ngvg\ckc/gvgn3&WWW
WWWW&&h&h&d&d&h&h&&WWWW
WWWWWW&W&W&W&W&W&WWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
[/map]
Last edited by Sauron on December 6th, 2006, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sauron
Customize yourself random factor in game:
GET my mod [available as C++ sourcecode and compiled Windows executable] for wesnoth 1.6.4
at http://saurons-mod.zor.org/
Mod thread
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26803
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Isar's cross descendant

Post by Sapient »

Sauron wrote:Any balancement remarks? I meant to widen frontline.
Looks fairly balanced. Maybe a slight knalgan disadvantage, but nothing major.

I predict one day Isar's Cross will be 60x60... :roll: Seriously, though, this map violates the entire strategic premise of Isar's. Give it a new name.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Re: Isar's cross descendant

Post by Doc Paterson »

Sapient wrote: Seriously, though, this map violates the entire strategic premise of Isar's. Give it a new name.
How about Isar's Chalice?

It does hold a fair amount of liquid.

:wink:

Someone's going to have to have to make a campaign about Isar some day.

Isar and Sulla.

Perhaps they were a couple?

:?
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Isar wasn't anybody special. He was a unremarkable Elvish fighter, fighting for his leader, Supreme Commander Noy. On one fateful evening, with the undead hordes seemingly poised for victory, Isar the Valiant did not retreat, but stood up againt the tyranny of the undead. He held off the attack of two dark adepts and one skeleton throughout night, providing the forces of Supreme Commander Noy much needed to regroup and counterattack in the morning, ultimately leading to victory.

Isar however perished during his valiant defence, but his namesake lives on in the territory he died to protect. He is a towering symbol to all elvelings on how one elf can make a difference, no matter how hopeless a situation may seem.
Last edited by Noy on December 6th, 2006, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Post by JW »

Noy wrote:Isar wasn't anybody special. He was a unremarkable Elvish fighter, fighting for his leader, Supreme Commander Noy. On one fateful evening, with the undead hordes seemingly poised for victory, Isar the Valiant did not retreat, but stood up againt the tyranny of the undead. He held off the attack of three dark adepts and one skeleton, allowing the forces of Supreme Commander Noy time to regroup and counterattack in the morning, ultimately leading to victory.

Isar however perished during his valiant defence, but his namesake lives on in the territory he died to protect. He is a towering symbol to all elvelings on how one elf can make a difference, no matter how hopeless a situation may seem.
I knew Noy was a fey treehugger.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

JW wrote:
Noy wrote:Isar wasn't anybody special. He was a unremarkable Elvish fighter, fighting for his leader, Supreme Commander Noy. On one fateful evening, with the undead hordes seemingly poised for victory, Isar the Valiant did not retreat, but stood up againt the tyranny of the undead. He held off the attack of three dark adepts and one skeleton, allowing the forces of Supreme Commander Noy time to regroup and counterattack in the morning, ultimately leading to victory.

I knew Noy was a fey treehugger.
Don't make me ban you JW.

You know I will.

I mean it.

Really.
JW

Post by JW »

Noy wrote:Don't make me ban you JW.

You know I will.

I mean it.

Really.
<3
Sauron

Thanx

Post by Sauron »

Thanx for remarks. Should there be any sugestions HOW make it more balanced with respect to knalgan - pls post your suggestions. I am impressed with the discussion so far :~
Sauron
GET my mod [available as C++ sourcecode and compiled Windows executable] for wesnoth 1.6.4
Mod thread
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Mountains at 14 12 and 10 12 would do the trick
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Supreme Commander Noy
Taco Supreme Condiment Noy is more like it.

I saw another version of Isar's Cross cleverly named Isar's Dog Biscut (due to it's minimap resemblance to an actual biscut). I think IB made that one.

The thing about these maps is they are small and play fast which can be could. It's hard to really mess up balance on such a small playing surface. And I have no problem having multiple versions of the map floating around as variety is the spice of life.

Just be sure (as you have done) to let people know it's based off Becephalus'
map.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

jb wrote:
Supreme Commander Noy
Taco Supreme Condiment Noy is more like it.
jb is just sour he doesn't get to be a supreme commander like Supreme Commander Noy, just a lowly faction commander, like JW. Some day jb, through much study, self discipline and battle experience, you too might become a Supereme Commander.

DARE TO DREAM JB! DARE TO DREAM!
Sauron

Post by Sauron »

Noy wrote:Mountains at 14 12 and 10 12 would do the trick
DONE
Any other remarks?
Sauron
Mod thread
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

It doesn't look like anything that would be called a cross.
IB

Post by IB »

I'm still not happy with the dog biscuit, Bece has made a map similar in nature to isars that looks like an iron cross.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

hehe that is just a rebalancement as sauron would say, of the official map, trying to make it more drake friendly and a tad more open, with less wasted space in the back. And the map was originally called iron cross, it is a shape that lends itself well to gaming as it leaves a back area for econ and a middle for fighting.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle