Race specific GUI

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

As with most design and in this case particularily functionality really has to win artistically. The infromation put out through the interface is very important for gameplay and has to be something you can access easily and should be easy to tell at first glance.

That being said you've made a pretty clear picture where you want your graphical elements to go and I think the layout looks pretty good.
I have a concern with the mustache that is centered across the entire window rather then to the play area which would be the more natural choise in composition unless you really distinguish the top most bar as an element entirely in it's own and perhaps will overshadow the sidebar.

I also feel it might not need to cover entirely so much of the actual game hexes(perhaps the head on the topbar could be smaller or the angles of the mustache be changed) and can still remain looking good. Some obstruction only adds to the dynamic though and is a nice feature so it's a balance act.

The rest is hard to comment on without knowing what textures you plan to use and how the highlight and detailing will be.

It's an improvement from before though :)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

dreampilot wrote:As with most design and in this case particularily functionality really has to win artistically. The infromation put out through the interface is very important for gameplay and has to be something you can access easily and should be easy to tell at first glance.
In a "normal" 2D environment, i.e. your OS, eye candy is of course nice but it's not crucial. Functionality should [must] always come first. In a game on the other hand, the aesthetics of the interface are far more important. A crude or boring-looking interface will very effectively ruin the atmosphere and make the gameplay less enjoyable. I'm not saying that functionality is unimportant in a game -- far from it -- but the old "functionality before eye candy" thing is IMHO not applicable in the same manner as with your OS desktop. Functionality should come first in this case also, but without tasty graphics it doesn't matter if your interface follows Fitts' Law to a T, it will still not be a good interface for a game.

That said, it's not like we can't have the best of both worlds. I absolutely believe that an interface can be both highly usable and visually gorgeous.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

It can be both but at the moment there are 3 limits artistical skills, space, and code support.

We will see.

The watch I have talked too much, but well I would like to have this as new time of the day. currently we have 6 different times. the hole in the middle should show 3 different states of sun, moon rising. To make it more obvious the smaller dots around should light up for any finished round so there won't be any ambiguity.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Hmm I see I slowly get into my monologue.

So small demo of the backround I'm planning, the colors will probably need to get darker (the backround too), so the text won't get obscured but well it won't get more exciting.

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Nice, I can't wait to see these finished
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Nice! :o

Things are getting serious, now.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Things are getting serious? Without me!

http://www.5helden.de/images/murphyslaw.jpg

Ok perhaps we can discuss now a little bit.

This is what is finished, well more evolution than revolution.

The Stone face must be prober anti aliased , some further stuff on the top bar, and I slowly start to dislike the helmet design.

So the question is keeping the current design or do something new as I wrote some pages back.
Second, ornating the Gui with complex pictures or just some finer shades, parchments and lines.

I see C'est la vie.

Have a drink on me.