Undead Campaign: Despair and Decay

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inch

Post by Inch »

Here's a first attempt at pixel pushing, our festering hero's second level. Workable?

I make it from the skeleton archer, so I will need to but his feet closer together and drop his fluffy blue booties.

I put a staff in his hand because it looks empty without it. Is it okay to have staves without thingies on the end? Should the level 1 corpse have a staff too? I'm guessing that when this guy was alive he was a mage or something.
Attachments
Level 2 ????
Level 2 ????
qqqq.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

The picture looks awesome!

Yeah, he was a mage when he was alive. I think the staff works good.

Only suggestion I have is that you look into having a few bits of flesh still hanging on him for Level 2, to make it look like a transformation between a Lich and a freshly raised corpse.
Inch

Post by Inch »

Some more flesh :) How's this?

I would like to have a go at drawing parts of the story line. Can't say how it will turn out though or if it will be usable. The frightened girl vision, how important is that to the story? Was it just one of the last things he saw before dying or something more important than that. How old was the girl and was she running, hiding etc.
Attachments
????
????
qqqq.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Honestly, I really appreciate the offer, but having the storyline just told through words is going to work better for what I want to do. The reason being is that I want to include some people from HttT in the dream sequence but not make it too obvious to the players who those people are until the end.

I like the new skel. That's really all I would ask for.
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

okay.. i am in rush... i've played wesnoth 5 minutes just to test 1.1.5 but because my last save game was M+M i found the dam guard bug too. so i fixed it. but had no time to do more... it's in the moment a busy time here. but i would like to make a scenario. the problem is that i am not in the mood to play wesnoth, thanx to the new game-fun-removing features :evil:

more in the next days.... i hope before you leave the usa...
Attachments
3_Muck_and_Mire_fixed.zip
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

According to the WML reference, there is a fix for the color problem:
The [side] tag is used to describe a side in a particular scenario.

The following keys are recognized:
* colour if you want side 4 to be the same colour as side 2 normally is, put colour=2.
o The default list of numbers and corresponding colors can be found in data/team_colors.cfg.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Cool. I read that before but I hadn't looked to find it again. Thanks for helping out.

I'm thinking of always making the side color #5 (black), which would require some switching around of other side colors in scenarios that are bigger than 5 sides (HH and probably one of the later ones).
Inch

Post by Inch »

Ken Oh wrote:Honestly, I really appreciate the offer, but having the storyline just told through words is going to work better for what I want to do. The reason being is that I want to include some people from HttT in the dream sequence but not make it too obvious to the players who those people are until the end.

I like the new skel. That's really all I would ask for.
Fair enough :)

I'll have a go at animating the skeleton tomorrow.
Inch

Post by Inch »

I thought of a KISS way of limiting WCs, it's simple in terms of WML (because you can theive it from UTBS ;p ) It would be to take away some of their hit points each turn. Maybe only in the day, since undead don't like sunlight. You may have to give them more HP. It would be interesting but might also be a bit silly.

Oh, and here's the attack animation. Needs more work still.
Attachments
Tormented attack animation
Tormented attack animation
attack.gif (5.96 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
toms

Post by toms »

It is unrealistic that the leg never move. For attacking, a unit will step forward, and backwards for defending. If it just moves one leg, it will look far better, and less unrealistic, as the unit can hold the balance.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

hola chicos...

i don't know why everybody is talking about 'unrealistic'. i mean it's unrealistic that someone that skinny (if you can say that about a skel) can walk around with a staff in his death hands...

anyway i understand the point, a step/fight combination would look better, i think. and i would prefer an attack from back to front instead of from top to bottom. or if from top to bottom then in right from the head, to make sure that it looks like we attack the other unit. i hope someone understand what i mean ;) ... anyway, besides this i really like this sprite. it's almost time for an own hero sprite.
about the hp removing from WCs every turn... i don't know if this is a good idea, in A+A you will need a lot turns to go to the castle with them, i guess none will arrive there. the idea from ken was/is that in some scenarios are the WCs the key to victory. but if i have time on the weekend i will see if i get this to work, to see 'how it feels'...

okay i've touched the test version a little bit. we have now always black as team colour (the elves are orange in HH) and i guess that i made all units 1.1.5 ready... there was also a little problem in the timeover event... but there is now something that is puzzling me. the facing of the master isn't reversed, maybe they removed this tag?
Attachments
DaDv0.3.test_fixed.zip
(124.2 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Truper

Bug re Disturbed

Post by Truper »

I noticed that running version 0.2.1d under Wesnoth 1.1.5, Disturbed did not carry over the Rage ability he gained in the 1st scenario or his experience into the 2nd scenario.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Hmmm, well that's not really the intended point to gain rage. Maybe we can keep it just for that scenario (as kind of an easter egg) and then gain it permanently later.

flava: Thanks for changing the team side to black. It looks little different from what remember, but it's good.

By the way, don't worry about the scenario if you're busy. I've kind of started working out some details and I should be able to do it quickly. I'll tell you what though; whenever you feel like doing it, go ahead and make that scenario that takes place in Arendia. It'll be after the main storyline and the main character is looking for a new place to take over. It'll either be for the Rage variant or both the Rage and the regular variant.

Inch: It's all looking great! I'd be happy with something mediocre but it's looking much better than that. I think the staff is a good idea, since, yes, he was a mage while living. Good thinking.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ken Oh wrote:By the way, don't worry about the scenario if you're busy. I've kind of started working out some details and I should be able to do it quickly. I'll tell you what though; whenever you feel like doing it, go ahead and make that scenario that takes place in Arendia. It'll be after the main storyline and the main character is looking for a new place to take over. It'll either be for the Rage variant or both the Rage and the regular variant.
Huh, what scenario in Arendia? I though that this campaign took place in Wesnoth. (I have no objections if it is, it's your campaign, but I'm just surprised)
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

It takes place in Wesnoth but 1 (or 2) of the 3 alternate endings has the main character leaving Wesnoth to travel north, in order to forget all that happened there. I was orginally planning on either ending the campaign there there or, as a bonus, making one scenario where the main character encounters other peoples.

Then, Flava Clown asked if we could use the Arendia map for a scenario, which made it seem like a good plan to merge those ideas.

I have to admit I haven't played all the way through IoA (had a pretty bad crash a few Dev verisons ago, haven't tried it since), but I'm pretty sure I read that Arendia is far to the north. I also don't know if histories are concurrent or what, since this takes place during HttT. I'm open to any ideas, if you're still cool for letting us use the map.

EDIT: oops, i got sidetracked before answering the question. on page 3 flava clown said that he wanted to use the "saving trashan" map. again, i haven't gotten that far though.