Discussion of the color of the new trolls...

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Discussion of the color of the new trolls...

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

neoriceisgood wrote:Personally I prefer the green, as the cyan one looked unnatural;

But I added an example of the cyan one as certain people (ep) decided they prefer unnatural trolls.
Well, since when it natural for mammals to be green? Do these trolls have chlorophyll?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Discussion of the color of the new trolls...

Post by zookeeper »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Well, since when it natural for mammals to be green? Do these trolls have chlorophyll?
Huh, are trolls mammals?
Elvish_Pillager

Humanoids generally are... :?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

if trolls aren't green, the sun doen't rise

Also, if the trolls weren't green, the orcs would feel obligated to evolve, since they can't be the same colors, can they?

IMO, the troll skin should be the TC part of them :)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Humanoids generally are... :?
And undead generally don't exist. I think saying the colour of a troll in Wesnoth is "unrealistic" or to even assume they're mammals is not of any concern. If it looks nice, it's good. I just can't imagine any player feeling that the trolls are somehow bad for some logical (non-aesthetic) reason simply because they're green.
Last edited by zookeeper on March 4th, 2006, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elvish_Pillager

Well, then why is Neo going on about what's "unrealistic"? :?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

zookeeper wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:Humanoids generally are... :?
And undead generally don't exist.
Tell that to my teachers... they're still around

But as in wesnoth, undead exist, and are humanoid, and trolls exist and are humanoid, and undead are mammals, trolls are undead, wait no, fantasy logic makes no sense!!! :brain explodes:
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Trolls should be green because that's how most people imagine them, obviously you can make yellow trolls, but not much people will like it because it collide with their imaginatied trolls.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I'd be suprised if drakes and nagas were mamals

and there is at least one green mammal (I don't know the english name, and it's due to a bacteria growing in it's hair, but still...)

no, I like the new color for one single reason... it looks good
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Elvish_Pillager

Tomsik wrote:Trolls should be green because that's how most people imagine them, obviously you can make yellow trolls, but not much people will like it because it collide with their imaginatied trolls.
uhh... well, I generally imagine skeletons as being dead and lying on the ground, so should we not have Undead in wesnoth? 8)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Well, then why is Neo going on about what's "unrealistic"? :?
I hate you, must you seriously make a fuss over this?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elvish_Pillager

Probably... :|
WTL

Post by WTL »

I like everything about the trolls the way it is now, except I'd like to see them get a little bigger in terms of sprite size. I think trolls, drakes, and wose's ought to be the biggest units (and as such serve a base for every other unit to be smaller than them, no matter what rank. I mean if we're going to grow in size per rank then give each rank 1 pixel over the other. People don't get taller when they get in charge.)
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

WTL wrote:I like everything about the trolls the way it is now, except I'd like to see them get a little bigger in terms of sprite size. I think trolls, drakes, and wose's ought to be the biggest units (and as such serve a base for every other unit to be smaller than them, no matter what rank. I mean if we're going to grow in size per rank then give each rank 1 pixel over the other. People don't get taller when they get in charge.)
Aye, Fight Creeping Biggerism!
Sorry for the meaningless post
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

WTL wrote:I mean if we're going to grow in size per rank then give each rank 1 pixel over the other. People don't get taller when they get in charge.)
No they don't, but it's a visual convention nearly universally understood-- employed since somebody started building pyramids: "big=important." In Wesnoth it's employed to differentiate units of different levels. (or will be) And if that difference was only 1 pixel, it would hardly be noticed.

EP, did you have some sort of point to make with this topic? I must have missed it. A green troll make no more or less sense than a bluish-green troll.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity