Elf Portrait art thread: Archer by Ranger M

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
toms

Post by toms »

This image is good, I´d even say better than the previous. One thing: I know that the guy should be strong, but elvish swords are light and easy to handle, so he doesn´t need this monstrous arms. And it doesn´t look sexy :P
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

the top half of the armour looks more like a cloak which would wrap around his shoulders than armour, try it and see what it looks like :) .

and I think that the bottom half of the armour should be tucked in, as it looks asif it would flap around right now.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If you're done with the Druid, you should probably ask Jetryl if it is good enough to add...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

turin wrote:If you're done with the Druid, you should probably ask Jetryl if it is good enough to add...
yeah, but don't be discouraged if he says no, mine got rejected, just work on making them better next time. :)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:If you're done with the Druid, you should probably ask Jetryl if it is good enough to add...
I will, if no more comments are made.

And if it's rejected, I can just try again, I have time...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This is the kind of improvement that the following can yield.

• Anti-aliased lines and correct resampling methods
• shading (none was really used so far)
• better colors
• moving the nose to the correct place on the face

These are the current problems with your work - if your don't fix them, your portraits won't be going in. (This one won't, but we can keep refining it as learning exercise.) You must acknowledge and fix these issues in your future work.
Attachments
druid1_748_352_122.png
druid1_748_352_122.png (40.04 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Last edited by Jetrel on March 5th, 2006, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

The proper way to say something like that would be IBTL, toms.... Well maybe not so much in this case.

I don't have much(any) skill when it comes to art like this, but I think it looks fantastic. Maybe I'll make a death animation for her next. :twisted:
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
toms

Post by toms »

SmokemJags wrote:The proper way to say something like that would be IBTL, toms.... Well maybe not so much in this case.

I don't have much(any) skill when it comes to art like this, but I think it looks fantastic. Maybe I'll make a death animation for her next. :twisted:
Please don´t use acronyms wich are not explained in the wiki, especially not when you speak to me.

Death animation is a good idea, we can use it in a protrait for her death message.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Heck, irritating to see *anywhere*, but that's just me.

Post by Kestenvarn »

"In Before The Lock".

Most internet shorthand is irritating to see outside of chat, this is no exception despite only being used on forums.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Toms:
Make no mistake, I am being somewhat coarse - but it's because I've already tried being overpolite about this and he doesn't seem to have picked up on the requirements. And they are requirements, not suggestions.

I'm just making the "rules of the game" clear. If he wants these to go in-game, he needs to step this up a notch (I really do hope he does, though).
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Your tweaked version looks immediately and obviously improved, Jetryl.

But now that all these improvements are applied, I don't understand why you say "This one won't [be going in], but we can keep refining it as learning exercise." Now that the issues that concerned you have been addressed, why is this image still unsuitable?

BTW, I would personally consider coarse feedback far preferable to no feedback. Even harsh feedback beats flailing about in a vacuum trying to figure out how to get your work noticed. :(
JW

Post by JW »

Jetryl, this one looks incredible! Why won't you be adding it to the game?
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

toms wrote:This image is good, I´d even say better than the previous. One thing: I know that the guy should be strong, but elvish swords are light and easy to handle, so he doesn´t need this monstrous arms. And it doesn´t look sexy :P
He's a hippy nature guy who lives with animals. He doesn't need to look sexy. Save that for the high elves.

And yeah, Jetryl's improvements to the druid are pretty major, so, umm, do the rest of them more like that. (Hmm... I'm gonna go ask the Gimp developers if they can put a "make it look like Jetry'ls work" filter in the next release...)
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Little thing, ears looks like horns IMO... maybe make them smaller? :?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

AFAIK, pointy-eared elves are not the hype around here.
And yeah, Jetryl's improvements to the druid are pretty major, so, umm, do the rest of them more like that. (Hmm... I'm gonna go ask the Gimp developers if they can put a "make it look like Jetry'ls work" filter in the next release...)
I want a Jormungandr-ize one, please try to fit that one up.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004