Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

General Sprite Progress for BfW 1.16

Post by doofus-01 »

I was looking into gaps in existing sprites for the standing/bobbing animations (https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p661461), and realized there were two things the larger community could help with:

1. Bobbing animations are now in two forms
  • Heaving/panting animations - the sprite starts to breath hard or look exhausted when HP is low - these should be relatively easy, and they can look a little bit comical. Examples would be the existing bobbing animations for the spearman, orcish archer, or many of the dwarves.
  • Standing animations - Something that adds some subtle movement under normal conditions, and makes sense for the sprite. These are a little more difficult, as there is no cookie-cutter model that can be applied to all sprites, and cut-n-paste will often be less useful. Examples would be the ghost floating and the saurians dancing. The Elf Marshal animation is the right idea, though having only the flag move isn't great, it should have subtle (sub-pixel) movement of other affected by wind, like hair.
2. Some of the venerable old sprites could stand a refresh. There were some nice sprites drawn years ago, but they never seemed to have made it into the game. For most existing sprites that need an update, I'll plan on taking a "light-touch", no radical redesigns. This way existing animations don't need to be tossed, but we can focus on adding animations. This image below has the human sprites I could find, plus the bowman as a quick example of a "light-touch" update (a better one might be the orcish grunt in 1.15.9). If there are other human sprites floating around here that stalled out, please post a link. I know there are some elves somewhere as well, but for now just focusing on humans.
Attachments
sprite-updates.png
sprite-updates.png (30.28 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Quixotic_King

Re: General Sprite Progress for BfW 1.16

Post by The_Quixotic_King »

I believe this lieutenant sprite made by sleepwalker is preferable to the suggested one above, at least the helmet.
lieutenant.png
lieutenant.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
This sprite stays much more true to the original sprite and seems more like an updated sprite rather than a new one. And the helmet doesn't look as cartoony. You could always just switch the helmets if you prefer the body of the open-face lieutenant.

Here is a sample of some quick frankensteining. (the two on the right are variants on shoulder location and changes to the pauldron, to make it fit the helmet better)
Attachments
lieutenant.png
lieutenant.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” -Donquixote

developer of era of empires (In progress)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

These were done by Sleepwalker. It's a Swordsman, Lieutenant, Pikeman and Halberdier. If that forum thread is explored a bit, multiple attempts at Royal Guard is found as well.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 24th, 2021, 2:56 am These were done by Sleepwalker. It's a Swordsman, Lieutenant, Pikeman and Halberdier. If that forum thread is explored a bit, multiple attempts at Royal Guard is found as well.
That's where I got the above images, is there something specific you want to say?
The_Quixotic_King wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 11:43 pm I believe this lieutenant sprite made by sleepwalker is preferable to the suggested one above, at least the helmet.
The one I posted above is from Sleepwalker as well, a later and better version, in my opinion.

:roll: I know I'm not Sleepwalker, but really...
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects