Expanding The Great Continent - [Dunefolk Habitat]

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Twilight_Alchemist

Re: Expanding The Great Continent - [Dunefolk Habitat]

Post by Twilight_Alchemist »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: June 4th, 2020, 11:48 am I think there's probably a case for not having orcs in the south, purely because they're already so prominently featured across so many campaigns - by leaving them out of the south, we can give other factions a chance to shine, drakes in particular.

With that said, though, pirate orcs based on Palmiya could be quite interesting if handled well. Berber pirates could be a good source of inspiration.
See, I think something that could be done is the expansion of the Sea Orcs from Heir to the Throne. I know they originated as a joke character, but if orcs are going to exist in a new region and as pirates, might as well get some more use out of the sea orcs.
Co-creator of Ice Age Fun. Former username is King_Link (IAF credits). Current Project is Ice Age Fun Redux (to be announced)
ghype

Post by ghype »

Twilight_Alchemist wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 1:30 am ... Sea Orcs ...
It's possible that the southern Orcs are more versitale and know to handle themselves water warfare.
Also "Southerner's Orcs" could be an entirely new faction.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Hello, So I had some time free and went through all the comments. This post should be the beginning of getting to a concluded idea of this thread.

I changed the map according to some concerns regarding the presence of orcs: This means I took territory from the away, while maintaining a limited presence.
Another questions was to give more underrepresented factions space, while taking territory from the Orcs, I decided to take away some territory from the dunefolk away, so Saurians, Ogres and wyverns can be presented better.
I also decided to leave some blank spaces, which can be considered as "untaken" or "fighted for". This I achieved also by taking away territory from Elves in the south as well.
Further more I enhanced the relation ship of the coastal territories between merfolk and nagas.

Just a thought: I realised that a better purpose for this thread would be, instead of indefinetly fixing all territorys for the South, it could offer a good inspiration or base for mainline and UMC development. This could be achieved by not having to take this image of territories as is, as territories could change in time depending on diverse conflicts which yet have not been explored. While this map/image could show the territories at one point in the history, in an another one it might look completely different.

With his being sad, I am still up to add furhter changes/wishes and give this thread some space to breath.

On a last note, my personal focus once this thread is concluded will be on the the area depicted in Kwandulins' world map for "Oath of Allegiance" Campaign.

New Irdya-Territories -12  - old.png

New Irdya-Territories -19.png
Gothyoba

Post by Gothyoba »

I like the work done here. The amount of dedication to this project is impressive! Has there been there any progress on this? Will this ever become canon? A lot of expansions into the south and UMCs seem to be using this as a vague reference, but I think it could become canon with enough work on it. I am currently trying to propose a description for the Wyvern rider. The information shown here could clarify where the wyvern lives. I don’t expect this to be done any time soon, but this might eventually be completed. As for the latest map here, the regions are sensible, though I find it strange that most orcs live in the northlands and yet some of them are in the far south. I would expect more orcs in Wesnoth for this reasoning to work. Also, the Dunefolk are laregly a people for the desert, so it might not fit in at southern tip of the shore.
Whitefang Orc