Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Grobaryl

Art creation

Post by Grobaryl »

Hello,
I play Battle for Wesnoth since I'm a kid and now I'm able to code, i want to do an extension. However i need to create sprites for new units, and when i try to make sprites with 72x72 res, It doesn't looks like the sprites in the game. (seems more pixelated).
I just wanted to be sure that I'm doing nothing wrong and to be sure that the hex is in the 72x72 sprite because the sprites i make are VERY pixilated.

Thanks in advance :3
Heindal

Re: Art creation

Post by Heindal »

The normal units are 72*72 pixels. I had the same problem with my own creations. I assume that the creators are drawing the units in higher resolution and than reduce the resolution to 72*72.

It is also possible to use resolution of 160*200 pixels for units, which is the size of a dragon. It can however have some unwanted effects that it covers up other units etc.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Well if you want to, you can post your art in the "Art Workshop" and get others opinions and suggestions on how to improve them.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Edwylm wrote: December 14th, 2019, 11:26 pm Well if you want to, you can post your art in the "Art Workshop" and get others opinions and suggestions on how to improve them.
That's good advice.
Heindal wrote: December 14th, 2019, 11:35 am I assume that the creators are drawing the units in higher resolution and than reduce the resolution to 72*72.
That's not true. Do that for big, beautifully rendered landscapes or portraits, but not for sprites or pixel art in general, where every little pixel placement matters so much. You don't want pixel placement to be decided by some algorithm. At least not without the help of some AI that I hope doesn't exist yet.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Try frankensprites! Copy bits and parts together. Scaling stuff down to pixel size seems to be done only as a kind of reference for semi pros. Anyway it would work, but than I would suggest a cartoony style with very thick black lines. There were posts in the past about this. Show us what you got so far. This is what the workshop is for. I am sure you will get moved there without any repercutions.