Female Wesnoth - Fencer

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ghype

Re: Female Wesnoth - Fencer

Post by ghype »

beetlenaut wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:46 am but the rest of her hair should not look like it is hanging down any more. The locks of hair need to point back towards the ponytail.
well, i know what you mean, but that would make it practically the same hairstyle as the female mage and hence i could have simply taken her entire head, put on top of the fencers body and maybe recolour it. But that would be boring.
You can have pony tail and still keep your bang on the forehead. Here is an example using Jennifer Lawrence.

So I in order to not make her look the red mage i could make only half of the hair point backwards where as she keeps the bangs on front. If not i can simply just take mages hair as well .. would have saved me lots of time.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

ghype wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:59 am You can have pony tail and still keep your bang on the forehead.
I guess you're right, but most of her hair still points back.
ghype wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:59 am but that would make it practically the same hairstyle as the female mage
Actually, the female mages' ponytails don't look quite right either, and I never noticed until I looked just now. Apparently it doesn't matter that much, so never mind. :whistle:
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: March 15th, 2019, 9:07 am so i actually had some time to tinker
Wow! That is even better than I imagined!
ghype

Post by ghype »

it looks really girly now haha. not that it is a problem. i was just imagining something more messy
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: March 15th, 2019, 7:31 pm it looks really girly now haha. not that it is a problem. i was just imagining something more messy
True, but how I always imagined it the fencer was more of from a noble lineage rather than an average soldier.
ghype

Post by ghype »

i made 2 more edits. the left one is the last one and the middle and right one are the new edits.
any of these better then before?
Attachments
fencer+female-7-comparison.png
fencer+female-7-comparison.png (6.01 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Maybe the third one but it is pretty hard to tell the difference xD

The only thing I am wondering though is where the pony tail starts such that it can be seen at this angle that length? Also maybe the tail should be slightly longer? Maybe?

Overall it looks really good though!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I can't really tell the difference, to be honest. They all look decent, though I can definitely see beetlenaut's point; but not sure if it matters much. I think the reason it looks girly might be the ribbon – you could try removing it? A ponytail does not require an easily-visible ribbon to hold it in place, after all; a simple cord or elastic band will do the trick.

My other comment is that I think the ponytail could be positioned higher on the head – my interpretation of your sprite is a middle ponytail attached roughly at ear level, but it could be tied quite a bit higher so that it kind of flows out of the upper back part of the head. (A ponytail could also be positioned lower, tied right at the base of the neck and flowing straight downward, but I figure that would be harder to portray in a sprite.) Of course, this is largely a matter of opinion, so feel free to ignore it.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

so i took in account what you guys said and now have 4 variations with two characteristics:

(1) position of the pony tail
(2) messy or clean look

the left ones have the "messy" look whereas on the right side are those with a more cleaner style
on the first row the sprites with a higher positioned pony tail and the bottom row have more centric poisition

now one of those has to be right one
Attachments
fencer+female-11-comparison.png
fencer+female-11-comparison.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I can't decide between "messy" or "clean", but I do think the higher ponytail looks better...
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I think it will be the upper right sprite.
As a fellow artist started working on some female sketches for the portraits and updating the old male to fit his style,
I will re-take the task for working on this project.

As we now have a solid female base sprite, the next thing to tackle would be its attack animation as thats the next hardest thing.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome! I really like what you have done so can't wait to see it animated! (also I am impressed by how many projects you seem to do at once 8) )
ThimbleWolf

Post by ThimbleWolf »

It's really nice to see someone finally working on this. I've been playing wesnoth for almost 15 years and it's probably my favorite game, but the lack of female units really gets me down sometimes.
Rears

Post by Rears »

I decided to help Ghype,that's why I made the animation female fencers. How do you the animation???
Attachments
fencer-female-1.gif
fencer-female-1.gif (7.75 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That's a good start, but the new parts of the sprite that Ghype drew aren't animated at all. Her hair should bounce around at least. (Also, you should slow down that animation. It is moving twice as fast as it would in the game.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide