Post by Rears »

Made an animation of the death of unit
Attachments
Animation-fencer-femele-die1.gif
Animation-fencer-femele-die1.gif (6.46 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
Rears

Re: Female Wesnoth - Fencer

Post by Rears »

beetlenaut wrote: July 19th, 2020, 2:06 pm That's a good start, but the new parts of the sprite that Ghype drew aren't animated at all. Her hair should bounce around at least. (Also, you should slow down that animation. It is moving twice as fast as it would in the game.)
Slightly improved the animation. But I don't know how to animate curls, because in animation they look lousy
Attachments
Animation-femele-stand.gif
Animation-femele-stand.gif (9.03 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Rears wrote: July 28th, 2020, 6:57 am But I don't know how to animate curls, because in animation they look lousy
The whole bun in back should go up and down (without changing size), but lag a frame or two behind the motion of her body. The rest of her hair should flop up and down in a similar manner, mostly on top, which will probably make it a pixel shorter where it hangs down. You can see individual locks of the the male fencer's hair doing this, and her hair needs the same exaggerated physics.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ghype

Post by ghype »

Sooooo ...

checked in since a long time and found out LordBob worked on female Fencer Portraits.

I updated some of the older ones I did and took in account your feedback. I also reverted back from pony tail as it did not seemed balanced from the proportions and generally made a more slicker version of the hair for the female fencer.
beetlenaut wrote: July 28th, 2020, 7:18 am
Rears wrote: July 28th, 2020, 6:57 am
I am not worried about the animations Rears made as they are easy to implement/fix.

LordBobs new portrait inspired me to try to make the female duelist even more different to the last version and the male counter-part and make her resemble a bit more with the portrait. I am aware that it might have to alter the female master-at-arms a bit as well, but I am confident to manage it.

Eitherway, the female duelist with the old hat works as well. Posted his portrait sketches for direct comparison as well.

display-1.png
display-1.png (16.4 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

11---Human-fencer.jpg

12---Human-duelist.jpg
Rears

Post by Rears »

ghype wrote: November 7th, 2020, 4:26 pm Sooooo ...

checked in since a long time and found out LordBob worked on female Fencer Portraits.

I updated some of the older ones I did and took in account your feedback. I also reverted back from pony tail as it did not seemed balanced from the proportions and generally made a more slicker version of the hair for the female fencer.
beetlenaut wrote: July 28th, 2020, 7:18 am
Rears wrote: July 28th, 2020, 6:57 am
I am not worried about the animations Rears made as they are easy to implement/fix.

LordBobs new portrait inspired me to try to make the female duelist even more different to the last version and the male counter-part and make her resemble a bit more with the portrait. I am aware that it might have to alter the female master-at-arms a bit as well, but I am confident to manage it.

Eitherway, the female duelist with the old hat works as well. Posted his portrait sketches for direct comparison as well.

display-1.png

11---Human-fencer.jpg

12---Human-duelist.jpg
Funny, but to look like a portrait you need to add a skirt to the sprite, since she is in the portrait.
Therefore, the question arises whether you will paint a skirt on a sprite?
ghype

Post by ghype »

Rears wrote: November 7th, 2020, 4:57 pm Funny, but to look like a portrait you need to add a skirt to the sprite, since she is in the portrait.
Therefore, the question arises whether you will paint a skirt on a sprite?
Sprites do not have to reassemble 100% with their portraits. It was just a fun idea and I executed. If people like I might follow through, if not I will stick to that old hat.

Ofc, another way of making them differ more without changing core elements of a unit's sprite is by changing their stance.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I don't think a female fencer would wear a skirt under normal circumstances. I'll also note that the first of the two portraits you posted clearly shows a ponytail, so I guess your decision to not do a ponytail also has nothing to do with the portraits?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: November 7th, 2020, 10:04 pm I'll also note that the first of the two portraits you posted clearly shows a ponytail, so I guess your decision to not do a ponytail also has nothing to do with the portraits?
I was following strictly after the portait, you wouldn be see that bit of a tail in the sprite. Rather then trying to show an actualy pony tail, I tried to catch the vibe of the portrait. To be fair, the pony tail in the portrait is a lot more loose than the initial sprites would suggest.